Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 109

Thread: With the 9th Pick, The NY Jets Select.....

  1. #61
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    You may very well be right about what u say but since most rookie contracts are now about 4 yrs, let me present this question.

    If Both Warmack and Ansah live up to what us fans think they will be, who would you prefer to give the big money extension too at that time ?
    Obviously the passrusher

    But it isn't that simple at all.

    I have WAY more faith in Warmack than Ansah.

    Ansah is very much a boom or bust prospect and the Jets can't afford to miss on this pick. Warmack is arguably the safest pick in the draft, one of the Top 3 overall players, and just so happens to fill a position of need.

    I take Warmack over Ansah everyday of the week.

  2. #62
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Obviously the passrusher

    But it isn't that simple at all.

    I have WAY more faith in Warmack than Ansah.

    Ansah is very much a boom or bust prospect and the Jets can't afford to miss on this pick. Warmack is arguably the safest pick in the draft, one of the Top 3 overall players, and just so happens to fill a position of need.

    I take Warmack over Ansah everyday of the week.

    If what u say is true, then there is no way 8 terrible teams will allow this kid to make it to pick 9. I won't have to worry about this player screwing up my attempt at rebuilding the Jets and the ability to control the cap.

  3. #63
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    If what u say is true, then there is no way 8 terrible teams will allow this kid to make it to pick 9. I won't have to worry about this player screwing up my attempt at rebuilding the Jets and the ability to control the cap.
    There's a decent chance that he won't be there at #9.

    The NFL is changing.

    Teams look at the impact guys like Carl Nicks, Logan Mankins, Marshall Yanda, the Pouncey brothers and Mike Iupati are having on their teams and are beginning to notice that this "no interior OL in the Top 10" philosophy is ignorant and outdated.

  4. #64
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody's saying these players don't make a difference. What i am saying is why take a player in the top 10 when you may have to let that player walk or trade him away because you need the money it would take to resign that player at a more important position on the team.

    Today the Jets are having discussions about the possability of trading the best player on the team because they have cap money tied up in Wrs , a miserable QB who a blind man could see was terrible and position players who offer no help at difference making.

    This team is in desperate need of Pass rushers, and if we find 1 we will have to choose between letting go of a player who we spent a top 10 pick on or keeping a difference maker. Personally, i take the difference maker every time and twice before i take an OG.

    You guys are right about 1 thing when you say the Jets can't make a mistake with this pick. The difference is the pick has to be view for the long haul, not just for the contract the player will sign originally. Think of it this way and tell me it doesn't make sense. With the NFL new salary structure is is not easier to make a mistake at an impact premium position than to hit the jackpot on a non premium position only to have to see that player walk because of the contract he may want that will prohibit you from keeping a Revis or someone of that nature.

  5. #65
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Nobody's saying these players don't make a difference. What i am saying is why take a player in the top 10 when you may have to let that player walk or trade him away because you need the money it would take to resign that player at a more important position on the team.

    Today the Jets are having discussions about the possability of trading the best player on the team because they have cap money tied up in Wrs , a miserable QB who a blind man could see was terrible and position players who offer no help at difference making.

    This team is in desperate need of Pass rushers, and if we find 1 we will have to choose between letting go of a player who we spent a top 10 pick on or keeping a difference maker. Personally, i take the difference maker every time and twice before i take an OG.

    You guys are right about 1 thing when you say the Jets can't make a mistake with this pick. The difference is the pick has to be view for the long haul, not just for the contract the player will sign originally. Think of it this way and tell me it doesn't make sense. With the NFL new salary structure is is not easier to make a mistake at an impact premium position than to hit the jackpot on a non premium position only to have to see that player walk because of the contract he may want that will prohibit you from keeping a Revis or someone of that nature.

    You think the 49ers are going to let Iupati walk anytime soon?

    Or the Ravens with Marshall Yanda?

    The offensive line is the lifeblood of both of those offenses. It used to be for us too.

    If you have a dominant OL you can physically dominate teams late in games. Totally impose your will on them and crush them into submission. It also negates the need for a star tailback. Not to mention that regardless of whoever is playing QB, things will go much smoother for them.

    As long as Rex is at the helm, this team will always field a Top 10 defense. Having what seems to be two future studs on the DL negates the need for an elite OLB as well. What we need at the LB position first and foremost is speed. We don't need an Aldon Smith or DeMarcus Ware to be successful. I'd be perfectly content with a Paul Kruger type who probably won't put up double digit sacks, but has the speed and wherewithal to get consistent pressure on the QB.

    Who's to say we can't find that guy in the 2nd or 3rd round? Someone like Okafor or Jenkins? Hell, Jenkins was thought of as a lock for the 1st round before he broke his foot. That's a guy I would love to take a flyer on in the 3rd.

    There is no can't miss passrusher in this draft. Not even Damontre Moore.

    But there is a can't miss, stud OG that consistently annhilates everyone in front of him and could step in and make an impact on this dreadful offense from day one.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 02-11-2013 at 12:22 AM.

  6. #66
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    The way i see it, you prefer to win by outscoring your oponent while i prefer to win by making sure my oponent can't score. I like my way better, but there's merit to your way. I just think your way is a cap killer.

  7. #67
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The way i see it, you prefer to win by outscoring your oponent while i prefer to win by making sure my oponent can't score. I like my way better, but there's merit to your way. I just think your way is a cap killer.
    Who cares if we have some sort of superunit defense if our offense still struggles to score 10 points a game?

    I guess instead of getting blown out we'll just start losing games 9-6.

    And how great is this superunit defense really going to look when they're stuck on the field for 45 minutes every week?

  8. #68
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The grasp of Realityville
    Posts
    3,847
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The way i see it, you prefer to win by outscoring your oponent while i prefer to win by making sure my oponent can't score. I like my way better, but there's merit to your way. I just think your way is a cap killer.
    Wouldn't a premiere pass rusher be more expensive than a guard anyway or am I missing the point?

  9. #69
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    Wouldn't a premiere pass rusher be more expensive than a guard anyway or am I missing the point?
    Exactly what I was thinking.

    The Bucs made Carl Nicks the highest paid OG in history at 5 years $47 million

    The Bills made Mario Williams the highest paid passrusher in history at 6 years $100 million

    And that's within the exact same offseason.

    It's not even within the same stratosphere.

  10. #70
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    Wouldn't a premiere pass rusher be more expensive than a guard anyway or am I missing the point?
    That would depend on what point you're trying to make. The way i prefer to build a football team is to focus my early round picks on premium position players on a yearly basis and the mid round picks on the skill positions. The Late round picks go towards all positions on players who at one point were productive but fall due to injury or other reasons not associated with bad character. It also helps me control cost, move picks around and assets to create trades for picks where possible.

    Since i consider a pass rusher a premium position and an OG not, i prefer to spend my money on positions that make a difference. Last yr with an aging Brandon Moore and a Jag Matt slauson, the jets were able to run the ball with a Jag RB going over 1000 yards. If that team got any help from the QB position the record could have been different.



    If i have a stud pass rusher and a stud OG and i have to choose who to give the money too, guess hwo's not coming back.

  11. #71
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking.

    The Bucs made Carl Nicks the highest paid OG in history at 5 years $47 million

    The Bills made Mario Williams the highest paid passrusher in history at 6 years $100 million

    And that's within the exact same offseason.

    It's not even within the same stratosphere.


    In the 1st place, the contract that was given to Mario Williams was based on potential and not production which was crazy. The team that bdrafted Mario Williams allowed him to leave because his production wasn't worth what he thought he should be paid and because they were smart enough to already have a player on the roster to replace him. The fact that the Bills paid him all that money is exactly what is wrong with the league and exactly what the Jets have been doing for years. You do not spend 1st round picks especially in the top 10 on players like Keyshawn Johnson or Roger Vick or trade into the 1st for players like Dustin Keller.

  12. #72
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    In the 1st place, the contract that was given to Mario Williams was based on potential and not production which was crazy. The team that bdrafted Mario Williams allowed him to leave because his production wasn't worth what he thought he should be paid and because they were smart enough to already have a player on the roster to replace him. The fact that the Bills paid him all that money is exactly what is wrong with the league and exactly what the Jets have been doing for years. You do not spend 1st round picks especially in the top 10 on players like Keyshawn Johnson or Roger Vick or trade into the 1st for players like Dustin Keller.
    It doesn't matter if you consider it to be crazy.

    Williams and the Bills set the market.

    And you can bet your ass that when guys like J.J. Watt and DeMarcus Ware are seeking a new deal, they're going to want a deal just as bank breaking as the one Mario Williams received. Probably even more lucrative.

    And if we draft someone like Ansah or Mingo and they turn out to be studs, then 3 or 4 years from now they'll want a contract in the same neighborhood.

  13. #73
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    There's a decent chance that he won't be there at #9.

    The NFL is changing.

    Teams look at the impact guys like Carl Nicks, Logan Mankins, Marshall Yanda, the Pouncey brothers and Mike Iupati are having on their teams and are beginning to notice that this "no interior OL in the Top 10" philosophy is ignorant and outdated.
    We picked Eric Ainge two picks before Nicks was drafted. LOL

  14. #74
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    We picked Eric Ainge two picks before Nicks was drafted. LOL
    Just another reason to praise the heavens that Tanny is gone.

    It seems like every team hits a homerun in the late rounds here and there except for us.

  15. #75
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4810193]It doesn't matter if you consider it to be crazy.

    Williams and the Bills set the market.

    And you can bet your ass that when guys like J.J. Watt and DeMarcus Ware are seeking a new deal, they're going to want a deal just as bank breaking as the one Mario Williams received. Probably even more lucrative.

    And if we draft someone like Ansah or Mingo and they turn out to be studs, then 3 or 4 years from now they'll want a contract in the same neighborhood.[/QUOTE]

    The way i choose to run my draft, i will have someone in place to either replace that player, or allow me to trade said player before this happens if we can't come to a reasonable agreement. You know, just like the way the Texans did when they drafted J J Watt even thou the supposed great super mario was on the team. It wasn't the texans that got stuck paying that unreasonable contract to Williams.

  16. #76
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,561
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;4810233]
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    It doesn't matter if you consider it to be crazy.

    Williams and the Bills set the market.

    And you can bet your ass that when guys like J.J. Watt and DeMarcus Ware are seeking a new deal, they're going to want a deal just as bank breaking as the one Mario Williams received. Probably even more lucrative.

    And if we draft someone like Ansah or Mingo and they turn out to be studs, then 3 or 4 years from now they'll want a contract in the same neighborhood.[/QUOTE]

    The way i choose to run my draft, i will have someone in place to either replace that player, or allow me to trade said player before this happens if we can't come to a reasonable agreement. You know, just like the way the Texans did when they drafted J J Watt even thou the supposed great super mario was on the team. It wasn't the texans that got stuck paying that unreasonable contract to Williams.
    That wasn't your question

    The highest paid OG in the league makes roughly half of what the highest paid passrusher in the league makes.

    Therefore, if both picks were to pan out and live up to their full potential, Warmack would be a HELL of a lot cheaper than someone like Ansah.

  17. #77
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    We picked Eric Ainge two picks before Nicks was drafted. LOL
    Imagine that, getting an OG the fans around here would kill for and getting him in the 6th round . Imaging drafting an injured chris faulk in the 6th round or and finding out 2 yrs down the road that we have a capable LT/RT candidate on the team when Brick want a new contract that sounds unreasonable.

  18. #78
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4810234]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post

    That wasn't your question

    The highest paid OG in the league makes roughly half of what the highest paid passrusher in the league makes.

    Therefore, if both picks were to pan out and live up to their full potential, Warmack would be a HELL of a lot cheaper than someone like Ansah.
    Yes and i would want to keep Ansah unless his contract demands force my hands. Like i said, the way i choose to draft i will most likely have an option. By the way, who would u rather pay, the entire OL or the NT and the passrushers who can also set the edge. Remember you have to pay the LT and the OC so if you're paying the OGs also, where is the money coming from to pay the other guys u want to have on this team.

    On my team, my major cap money go to the QB, the LT , The OC, The NT and the edge Rushers who can also set the edge. Everyone else is interchangeable and in some cases those premium players will be also if they re-up demands force my hands.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 02-11-2013 at 01:05 PM.

  19. #79
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Just another reason to praise the heavens that Tanny is gone.

    It seems like every team hits a homerun in the late rounds here and there except for us.
    A fair number of people on our draft forums wanted Nicks that year and were shocked he kept falling. Was a total character issue which doesn't seem to have resurfaced in the pros at all.

  20. #80
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,031
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Imagine that, getting an OG the fans around here would kill for and getting him in the 6th round . Imaging drafting an injured chris faulk in the 6th round or and finding out 2 yrs down the road that we have a capable LT/RT candidate on the team when Brick want a new contract that sounds unreasonable.
    Well the funny thing is, when we do pick a starting OG in the 6th round who's graded out to be above average, most fans want to run him out of town

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us