Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 109

Thread: With the 9th Pick, The NY Jets Select.....

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    OG Chance Warmack - Alabama

    Both Slauson and Moore are set to hit the market and Warmack is the best OG prospect to come out in well over a decade.

    It's not the sexy pick, but it's the smart pick.

    For some reason I see that quote about every 2nd year. I heard it about Iuapiti and last year with DeCastro.

  2. #22
    if we draft Warmack, we better be trading down.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    Leon Sandcastle

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    +1 Guys looks like an ugly Deon Sanders out there.

  4. #24
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Ansah is also my sleeper pick. Seems like a classic "Rex pick," but the question is whether Idzik will be comfortable enough rolling the dice on such high reward-high risk type guy with his first ever draft pick. My guess is that he goes real conservative by trading down a few picks and taking Warmack. A Warmack pick also shows that he's the boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    if we draft Warmack, we better be trading down.
    Whether or not you agree with taking a Guard in the first round is a legitimate debate, but I don't think its realistic to expect that Warmack will be around anywhere beyond 10. Sure, it could happen, but the Jets are not trading down with the expectation of taking Warmack.

    That being said, if it comes down to Warmack at 9 or Jonathan Cooper at 15 plus an additional pick(s), I'd probably go with option 2.

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    OG Chance Warmack - Alabama

    Both Slauson and Moore are set to hit the market and Warmack is the best OG prospect to come out in well over a decade.

    It's not the sexy pick, but it's the smart pick.

    Warmack is the sexy pick, but what he is not is the smart pick. You do not select a player who will need to be signed to a big contract or let go within 3 yr with a top 10 pick. Those picks are for players at premium positions who you should have no problem paying because of their importance to the team.


    Ask yourself this question. If Revis was as important to the team as some Jet fans and the media would have us think, would we as fans and the media be even having a conversation about keeping or trading Revis.

    Even me, i can come up with a senario for signing Brick Ferguson. I cannot think of a good reason to keep Revis on this team.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Warmack is the sexy pick, but what he is not is the smart pick. You do not select a player who will need to be signed to a big contract or let go within 3 yr with a top 10 pick. Those picks are for players at premium positions who you should have no problem paying because of their importance to the team.


    Ask yourself this question. If Revis was as important to the team as some Jet fans and the media would have us think, would we as fans and the media be even having a conversation about keeping or trading Revis.

    Even me, i can come up with a senario for signing Brick Ferguson. I cannot think of a good reason to keep Revis on this team.
    watching the super bowl, i wasn't saying to myself, 'wow, look at those guards, they're really winning it for these teams'. the jets can find quality guards, but it's not wise to use a top 10 pick on one.

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,641
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    watching the super bowl, i wasn't saying to myself, 'wow, look at those guards, they're really winning it for these teams'. the jets can find quality guards, but it's not wise to use a top 10 pick on one.
    Actually, the 49ers have what is generally considered the top OLine in the NFL. And Gore ran for 5.8 ypc (and Kaepernick for 8.9) in the game. So while it may not have jumped out on the TV, that line is a big part of SF's success this year.
    Last edited by nycdan; 02-04-2013 at 04:38 PM.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Actually, the 49ers have what is generally considered the top OLine in the NFL. And Gore ran for 5.8 ypc (and Kaepernick for 8.9). So while it may not have jumped out on the TV, that line is a big part of SF's success this year.
    true. but, unlike the jets, the 49ers have playmakers. their qb is accurate and can scramble. he holds onto the football. their rbs are fast. their wrs can catch. they drafted a wr in the first round, signed manningham and moss and drafted james, just to make sure they had enough playmakers.

    AND they have a very good offensive line.

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,398
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    watching the super bowl, i wasn't saying to myself, 'wow, look at those guards, they're really winning it for these teams'. the jets can find quality guards, but it's not wise to use a top 10 pick on one.
    You don't think that if their respective draft classes could be redone, guys like Marshall Yanda and Mike Iupati wouldn't be Top 10 picks?

    If you're going offense at #9, it's either an OL or a QB. There isn't a single RB, receiver or TE worthy of a Top 20 pick, much less Top 10.

    The group of tweeners in this draft is just as deep as the OL, so I could just as easily say we could get an OLB in the 2nd or 3rd round as you could for an OG.

    I'd rather take the best overall OL prospect in this draft than take the 3rd/4th rated passrusher at #9 (Mingo/Ansah). The only defensive player that I could get fully on board with at #9 is Damontre Moore and there's a snowballs chance in hell that he falls to us.

  10. #30
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,996
    Offensive skill position player. Either qb, rb, wr or te.

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Offensive skill position player. Either qb, rb, wr or te.
    What QB, RB, WR or TE would you consider taking at #9? I agree with UT. There isn't a single one that makes sense there. The top 20 players in this draft are almost all OL, DL and OLB. It's almost freakishly devoid of offensive 'skill position' players.

  12. #32
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,996
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    What QB, RB, WR or TE would you consider taking at #9? I agree with UT. There isn't a single one that makes sense there. The top 20 players in this draft are almost all OL, DL and OLB. It's almost freakishly devoid of offensive 'skill position' players.
    There is guys out there. Remmebr in 2010, CJ Spiller was thought to be a early 2nd late 1st round pick. After the combine and pro day, he shot up. There will be an offensive guy or 2 that shoots up the board after the combine.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    What QB, RB, WR or TE would you consider taking at #9? I agree with UT. There isn't a single one that makes sense there. The top 20 players in this draft are almost all OL, DL and OLB. It's almost freakishly devoid of offensive 'skill position' players.
    I'll take Geno at #9. If not Id trade down or grab Best Available OLB. Definatly not a G or T at that spot.

  14. #34
    Just take someone who can contribute right away. No more projects. The Jets aren't good enough to be using early picks on projects.

    From the outset, Idzik doesn't exactly strike me as a guy who is going to go for the flashy names. Just give me some football players in this draft.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    You don't think that if their respective draft classes could be redone, guys like Marshall Yanda and Mike Iupati wouldn't be Top 10 picks?

    If you're going offense at #9, it's either an OL or a QB. There isn't a single RB, receiver or TE worthy of a Top 20 pick, much less Top 10.

    The group of tweeners in this draft is just as deep as the OL, so I could just as easily say we could get an OLB in the 2nd or 3rd round as you could for an OG.

    I'd rather take the best overall OL prospect in this draft than take the 3rd/4th rated passrusher at #9 (Mingo/Ansah). The only defensive player that I could get fully on board with at #9 is Damontre Moore and there's a snowballs chance in hell that he falls to us.
    1 - Agree

    2 - Agree

    3 - That player at this point in the draft must play a premium position. OG is not that.

  16. #36
    Give me Moore at #9 and I'll be ecstatic

  17. #37
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,595
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Go big and ugly this year.

    Next year we can add the ornaments.
    Yep, Jets need some youth on the O-Line for sure.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    For some reason I see that quote about every 2nd year. I heard it about Iuapiti and last year with DeCastro.
    And Iupati has been excellent for the 49ers and DeCastro played well for the Steelers his rookie season once he got over the knee injury.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Just take someone who can contribute right away. No more projects. The Jets aren't good enough to be using early picks on projects.

    From the outset, Idzik doesn't exactly strike me as a guy who is going to go for the flashy names. Just give me some football players in this draft.
    +1

    No raw WR's or workout warrior DE's trying to convert to OLB. We need guys who can get on the field right away with all of our day 1 picks to avoid the real cap hell.

  20. #40
    We have a lot of components needed on this roster, TRADE Down, get more pics and do it a couple of times and get some depth.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us