Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: With the 9th Pick, The NY Jets Select.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    The offense has been ignored long enough. Get back to building a dominant OL so we can manhandle teams late in games.
    No, it hasn't.

The problem with the offense is that the talent evaluators for that side of the ball (namely Tannenbaum) did such a horrible job picking offensive "talent."

All but one pick in the 2009 and 2010 drafts was dedicated to the offense. Look at what it generated. Sanchez. Greene. Slauson. Ducasse. McKnight. Conner.

Granted, we had very few picks in those two years, but the point remains that out of those two years, those picks look horrendous now. Bottom 5 starting QB, bottom 5 starting RB, JAG guard, guard who still hasn't developed into a starter through three years, kick returner, fullback who was cut in year three.

Since 2007, if our best drafted offensive players are a somewhat promising slot receiver (Kerley) and a likely one contract receiving TE (Keller), then you deserved to get sh!t-canned.

We never ignored the offense; we just "built" it via sheer incompetence.

I like both

That's why it makes no sense to me to stick with this silly ass plan of building a dominant defense while totally neglecting the offense.

If Rex is truly this genius defensive guru, then we shouldn't have to spend 1st round picks on the defensive side every single year just to field a Top 10 unit.

This is the same guy that developed late round picks and UDFA's like Jarrett Johnson, Bart Scott, Kelly Gregg, Justin Bannan, etc into worthwhile contributors in Baltimore. So why the hell does he need studs all over the place over here?
    You take a top end pass rusher like Moore, Jones, or Mingo, and you can set it and forget it for the defensive side of the ball for the rest of the 2013 draft. It will also mitigate the looming loss of Revis or Cromartie. Spend the next six picks on offense for all I care.

You're fooling yourself if you think taking an offensive lineman at #9 is the panacea to our offensive woes. You're also fooling yourself if you think we're doomed if we don't take an offensive player at #9. According to Tony's site, there are six guards worthy of a top three round pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    No, it hasn't.

The problem with the offense is that the talent evaluators for that side of the ball (namely Tannenbaum) did such a horrible job picking offensive "talent."

All but one pick in the 2009 and 2010 drafts was dedicated to the offense. Look at what it generated. Sanchez. Greene. Slauson. Ducasse. McKnight. Conner.

Granted, we had very few picks in those two years, but the point remains that out of those two years, those picks look horrendous now. Bottom 5 starting QB, bottom 5 starting RB, JAG guard, guard who still hasn't developed into a starter through three years, kick returner, fullback who was cut in year three.

Since 2007, if our best drafted offensive players are a somewhat promising slot receiver (Kerley) and a likely one contract receiving TE (Keller), then you deserved to get sh!t-canned.

We never ignored the offense; we just "built" it via sheer incompetence.

You take a top end pass rusher like Moore, Jones, or Mingo, and you can set it and forget it for the defensive side of the ball for the rest of the 2013 draft. It will also mitigate the looming loss of Revis or Cromartie. Spend the next six picks on offense for all I care.

You're fooling yourself if you think taking an offensive lineman at #9 is the panacea to our offensive woes. You're also fooling yourself if you think we're doomed if we don't take an offensive player at #9. According to Tony's site, there are six guards worthy of a top three round pick.
    No one is saying Chance Warmack is going to transform our offense overnight but he's a low risk, high reward player that will absolutely be a very significant upgrade over Matt Slauson right away. We got no push up front last year in the running game because our OL was undersized and mediocre. We couldn't run between the tackles last season unless we faced a crap defense like Jacksonville.

We've used our last 3 1st round picks on defensive players. 2 turned out to be excellent (Mo and Coples) 1 is a JAG (Wilson). What makes or breaks our defense next year is whether or not Idzik figures out a way to bring back either Revis or Landry and we get some speed at ILB so we can get back to stopping the run.

Stop trying to swing for the fences to get a pass rusher. Coples had 5.5 sacks playing limited snaps as a rookie and you don't want another Gholston, Dewayne Robertson or Bryan Thomas.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Werner will be gone, I'm hearing, everyone has him gone in the top five.

I think it could come down to whoever is left out of Mingo, Damontre Moore, or Jones. Whoever is left out of those three.

I really like sportsmasher.com's mock drafts, they released one yesterday, and they say the rumor is Mingo has put on 15lbs of muscle and his stock might explode after the combine.

Here is the link:

http://sportsmasher.com/2013/02/14/2...t-version-4-0/

It's going to be interesting. This depth is deep at pass rusher and safety, which is good for the Jets. At #9, maybe we reach for a playmaker on offense?

Grab a pass rusher and/or a safety later.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSet99 View Post
    Werner will be gone, I'm hearing, everyone has him gone in the top five.

I think it could come down to whoever is left out of Mingo, Damontre Moore, or Jones. Whoever is left out of those three.

I really like sportsmasher.com's mock drafts, they released one yesterday, and they say the rumor is Mingo has put on 15lbs of muscle and his stock might explode after the combine.

Here is the link:

http://sportsmasher.com/2013/02/14/2...t-version-4-0/

It's going to be interesting. This depth is deep at pass rusher and safety, which is good for the Jets. At #9, maybe we reach for a playmaker on offense?

Grab a pass rusher and/or a safety later.
    When a player puts on 15 pounds of muscle between the end of the season and the combines and is faster than he was before, I would be more nervous than excited. Do they do drug testing at the combines?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    No one is saying Chance Warmack is going to transform our offense overnight but he's a low risk, high reward player that will absolutely be a very significant upgrade over Matt Slauson right away. We got no push up front last year in the running game because our OL was undersized and mediocre. We couldn't run between the tackles last season unless we faced a crap defense like Jacksonville.

We've used our last 3 1st round picks on defensive players. 2 turned out to be excellent (Mo and Coples) 1 is a JAG (Wilson). What makes or breaks our defense next year is whether or not Idzik figures out a way to bring back either Revis or Landry and we get some speed at ILB so we can get back to stopping the run.
    He would be an upgrade over Slauson, no doubt.

But what I don't get is this narrative that our offensive line "got no push" or isn't good. As a run blocking unit, we were top 8 last year. Obviously we'll likely need to replace the guard spots since both are free agents, but the problem with our running game was the running backs last year.

Stop trying to swing for the fences to get a pass rusher.
    It's not swinging for the fences. It's called addressing a position that is vital to success and the same position that has been fecklessly ignored for 7 years.

Coples had 5.5 sacks playing limited snaps as a rookie and you don't want another Gholston, Dewayne Robertson or Bryan Thomas.
    And you also don't want another Kyle Brady, Johnny Mitchell, or Blair Thomas. See, I can come up with offensive examples too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    if they were smart they would trade down and acquire more picks

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    if they were smart they would trade down and acquire more picks
    Easier said than done.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it depends how the draft shakes out but moving down a few spots even to get an extra 3rd even would be great. This team has so many holes to fill that they will hopefully fill most of them. The more picks the better! They should grab 2 QBs too!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Easier said than done.
    Keep in mind last year tanny had a deal in place to trade back with pitt (who wanted to move up for decastro) but balked after Seattle took Irvin. There should be a good value pick at 9. The only relatively low value picks this year are in the top 3 IMO