Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's all about guaranteed money

It's all about guaranteed money

Folks keep focusing on whether Revis wants 16 million a year, which is a distraction from the issue of guaranteed money. It's also a negotiating ploy to force the Jets hand before the start of free agency. Sure, Revis has leverage, but if he injures himself again during the season, he stands to lose a lot of money (so the Jets have leverage too). The less-discussed issue is how guaranteed money plays in here. The decision the Jets face is how long to extend Revis and how much guaranteed money to make as part of that contract.

My own opinion is that Revis is a cornerstone foundational player, a once in a generation player. Yes, he wants his money (and that is annoying), but I also think he wants to go down as the best player at his position to ever play the game. That passion drives him. It is always a risk to sign a player for 6 or 7 years and potentially commit large cap dollars given the risk of injury and decline. But Revis is one of only a handful of defensive players that are worth it. A deal heavy on signing bonus and guaranteed roster bonuses that might average $16 million a year in the first couple of years (for bragging rights), but basically keeps his cap charges in the 10-12 million annual range is risky, but worth it for a player like Revis, who can move to safety a la Woodson later in his career.

Meanwhile, you move Cromartie for a pick given he has less dead cap money. And you build through the draft. With Wilkerson, Coples, and Revis, and some new blood at LB and safety in the next two years, you can insure top defenses year in and out, while you invest through the draft in skill position players on the offensive side of the ball. Swing a trade for Nick Foles or bring in Matt Moore to compete with Sanchez, and decide whether you are drafting a QB high next year. And we are back on the road to respectability once Tone's and Sanchez's contracts hit reset next year. In an era where fans are mostly deprived of having a lifetime player on their team (unless it's a star QB or player like Ray Lewis), it would be nice to have one of our very own. It would be great to have him on that podium when we hoist the Lombardi, which the optimist in me says we will do.

Signing Revis in my opinion doesn't hinge of Revis or his demands or his contract. It hinges on the teams ability to get rid of the massive deals to mediocre to lousy players.

It will also come down to the new man in charges idea of where you have to spend your money team wise. If they determine they would rather pay two very good players instead of one hall of fame type player then Revis may be gone.

Most of us want to keep the player but if it is not possible you need to get as much as possible for him when you have the chance.

Hall Of Fame
    With guys like Revis once the guaranteed money is paid they will holdout.

We front loaded his last contract and he made over 30 million in the first two years and then all of a sudden he started complaining prior to last season.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

We front loaded his last contract and he made over 30 million in the first two years and then all of a sudden he started complaining prior to last season.
    Bingo!!! For all the people who are in an uproar over keeping Revis they
    forget the fact that after 2-3 years he will be back complaining about
    his contract AGAIN. It will never stop with him and his agents

maybe yes, maybe no... depends on how the length of the contract is structured. and the guarantees. THe last contract was structured in a way that there was undoubtedly going to be problems this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    maybe yes, maybe no... depends on how the length of the contract is structured. and the guarantees. THe last contract was structured in a way that there was undoubtedly going to be problems this year.
    He wants at least 15 million per year. He is not going to cut us any breaks. In order for him to be happy his next contract might as well be fully guaranteed at 15 million a year. That is the only way there wont be a problem. Once he has a year where someone is making more than him he will be upset.

Great player, but he will never be happy with his money. Two holdouts and some form of contract drama almost every year serve as proof of that.

Veteran

Agreed, once you frontload a Revis contract, around year three word will make it's way to the media that Revis is grossly underpaid.

The only concession I would make is guaranteeing a record amount of money in return for a reasonable (12 million a year) salary per year. In return for not being the highest paid defensive salary he gets more of it guaranteed, making him, the defensive player with the most guaranteed money in the league.

The Jets take on considerable injury risk in return for a a figure that makes sense to a team in rebuilding mode.

I just want to point out what a similar contract looks like:

Mario Williams

Age 28 - 2013: $12.4M (If cut $29.7M)
    Age 29 - 2014: $18.4M (If Cut $17.8M, $600k Savings)
    Age 30 - 2015: $19M (If Cut $12.6M, $6.4M Savings)

That is a massive amount of money to sink into one person, it's even more massive for a DB, no matter how good he is.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post

Mario Williams

That is a massive amount of money to sink into one person, it's even more massive for a DB, no matter how good he is.
    That is what a nightmare contract looks like for the Bills.

Outside of a QB have any of these monster deals ever worked out? I am trying to think of one and I can't. I am talking like the past 10 years.

Veteran

Mario Williams

Yes, ridiculous money when Austin Howard (540K) can keep you at bay.

Revis deal = Arod deal.

All League

Mario Williams

You ONLY pay these massive salaries to franchise QB's. Otherwise you are
    begging for trouble in later years. If Revis is such a "leader" that LT claims
    and wants to retire a Jet show it by working with Idzik to get a contract
    that won't eat up the cap in future years

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Yes, ridiculous money when Austin Howard (540K) can keep you at bay.
    When you compare both players salaries it seems unfair that revis makes so much more and was injured all year.

I'm not sure why it's relevant that he complained last year. He didn't hold out, he made noise, the Jets didn't give him a new deal, he played until he got hurt.

I suspect the same thing will play out this season. But the last thing Revis wants is to holdout in 2012, considering the last time he held out he had hamstring issues, that's an enormous risk to take in a contract year.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    You ONLY pay these massive salaries to franchise QB's. Otherwise you are
    begging for trouble in later years. If Revis is such a "leader" that LT claims
    and wants to retire a Jet show it by working with Idzik to get a contract
    that won't eat up the cap in future years
    I kind of disagree. Franchise QBs are A) far more marketable and B) far more durable than franchise CBs. Part of the reason that guys like Manning and Brady can "work with the cap" is because of the massive other income that the marketability provides you. Revis doesn't have that kind of marketability.

Hall Of Fame

Mario Williams

Thats why you cant look at average salary per year, you have to look at the guaranteed money in the guaranteed years. Plus the proration of the signing bonus as it counts towards the cap is another factor.

Another factor is that the Jets won't be carrying huge cap dollars for qb after next year and for several years after. If they end up obtaining another qb through the draft it will be several years before the potential for huge qb cap hits return. By that time Revis will be through his next contract, and given his age will see declining contracts thereafter.

The basic premise of this thread is false in regards to Revis. He wants to be the highest paid defensive player and one of the highest paid players period. He is not interested in guaranteed money, he is interested in having the highest salary and the highest guarantee. He will want north of Mario Williams contract. He is in my view unsignable.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    The basic premise of this thread is false in regards to Revis. He wants to be the highest paid defensive player and one of the highest paid players period. He is not interested in guaranteed money, he is interested in having the highest salary and the highest guarantee. He will want north of Mario Williams contract. He is in my view unsignable.
    Another poster who has observed Revis behavior

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    this, while on a team with arguably the worst cap situation, with so many other needs. he goes on record as saying the team needs more offensive weapons, yet has no problem asking to be the highest paid defensive player, even if it prevents the team from improving elsewhere. in the end, he's a great player but a mercenary who would gladly sacrifice his own team's competitive position for personal gain.