Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56

Thread: LT rips Tanny, issues Revis warning

  1. #1

    LT rips Tanny, issues Revis warning

    Former Jet LaDainian Tomlinson, whose favorite pastime is criticizing his former team, ripped former GM Mike Tannenbaum for the Jets' current salary-cap plight, pointing to the Mark Sanchez contract extension as a major blunder.

    "That was Tannenbaum's fault," Tomlinson, an NFL Network analyst, told the New York Post at Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans. "They're still trying to fix what Tannenbaum messed up."

    Tomlinson, who played 2010 and 2011 with Sanchez, said "they're stuck" with the embattled quarterback because of his hefty contract. He also doesn't believe the Jets when they say they're planning to bring in competition at the position.

    "They said that last year," Tomlinson told the newspaper. "They brought Tim Tebow in and it wasn't much of a competition because (Tony) Sparano didn't know what to do with Tim Tebow. I just think they're in a situation where they have to stick with Sanchez."

    Tomlinson believes it would be a mistake to trade Darrelle Revis, but he thinks that could happen because "Rex Ryan's silence in the whole thing about Revis has spoken volumes to me that something is actually happening."

    He also said of a potential trade, "I feel because of the situation that they're in, the Jets feel like that's the only way they can make some headway in turning this roster around, getting more athletes on the roster, more athletes that can perform better.

    "At the same time, the guy is the best defensive player in the league. To me, you win championships with defense. So, in a passing league, how can you get rid of Revis? I don't know if that's the best decision to make, to get rid of the best defensive player in the league."

    Tomlinson said the Jets would miss Revis' leadership, the way he helps young players. He said Revis has made Antonio Cromartie a better player.

    "I just think sometimes organizations make decisions based on strictly business when you can't replace a guy like Revis," Tomlinson said.

    It wouldn't be an offseason without Tomlinson commenting on the soap opera that is the Jets.
    Does he ever stfu??

  2. #2
    Everything he said is correct, he is now an analyst, why should he stfu?

  3. #3
    Does he not understand what a salary cap is?

    And I hate when people say "it's a passing league". Yes, it is...all the rules favor the offense. That's what inherently makes a corner like Revis LESS valuable, because he can't use his physicality to compensate once his athleticism wears out.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Everything he said is correct, he is now an analyst, why should he stfu?
    This.

    Fans need to learn when to and not to whine about things they read. In this case, all points LT makes are fair.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Everything he said is correct, he is now an analyst, why should he stfu?
    Because I'm a frustrated Jets fan and I don't wanna hear it.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,095
    LT can say whatever he wants. He is a first-ballot HOFer and was a rock solid player for us.

    Not to mention he is right about the Sanchez deal and even though I disagree with him about Revis, his opinion is justified. I never considered Revis much of a leader but if LT says he was then I will take his word for it.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Everything he said is correct, he is now an analyst, why should he stfu?
    Because he is contradicting himself as an analyst. He is criticizing Tanny for creating a salary cap mess, then goes out and says the Jets should not trade one of the best defensive players in the game, which means we would create a salary cap mess for giving him the kind of money he wants.

    We cannot afford this guy, and he is not going to be on this team either this year or next. Time for us to all accept it.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Does he not understand what a salary cap is?

    And I hate when people say "it's a passing league". Yes, it is...all the rules favor the offense. That's what inherently makes a corner like Revis LESS valuable, because he can't use his physicality to compensate once his athleticism wears out.
    But also think about it. Revis is the best corner in the league. Refs actually favor HIM in the passing game. He grabs and pulls and gets away with it, that's why he's so valuable in this "passing league". Where as most other corners would get called for it.

    Having a corner shut down half the field, taking away your best WR, and getting away with b.s. PI calls is huge.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,095
    He wasn't contradicting himself. We are in cap hell and he thinks that getting rid of Revis will help in one area but hurt us in another. It is a delicate balance.

    Game recognizes game. I expect LT to stick up for Revis.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Everything he said is correct, he is now an analyst, why should he stfu?
    Because he's not a very good analyst?

    Like his time here at RB, he's generally a dissapointment IMO.

    The NFL operates under a Salary Cap, I'd expect an NFL Analyst to understand that, and how that has repurcussions.

    As for Sanchez, if thats "analysis", 95% of the posters at J.I. could provide that level of talk. I would expect more from an NFL insider and former player than a shallow "Tanny Screwed Up With Sanchez" line that we've been saying here for years now.

    How about he tell us something we don't all already know?

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,886
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He wasn't contradicting himself. We are in cap hell and he thinks that getting rid of Revis will help in one area but hurt us in another. It is a delicate balance.

    Game recognizes game. I expect LT to stick up for Revis.
    And keeping Revis would put us in greater cap hell...You can't have it both ways.

    As an analyst, it is part of your job to understand what you are talking about.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,095
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    And keeping Revis would put us in greater cap hell...You can't have it both ways.

    As an analyst, it is part of your job to understand what you are talking about.
    I don't think he is denying that keeping Revis will hurt our cap situation. I just think he thinks that Revis is worth the trouble. Again, I don't even agree with him but I understand why he feels that way.

  13. #13
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    404
    I still don't think that keeping Revis puts us further into cap hell. Paying top dollar for a premium position is not a bad decision. The reason we're in cap hell isn't Revis. It's guys like Pace, Holmes, Sanchez, Scott, and Harris who have production WAY below what there cap numbers dictate.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Because I'm a frustrated Jets fan and I don't wanna hear it.
    I hear you but I get much more upset at these national analysts talking about stuff they don't have a clue about or have heard 2nd hand.

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    7,266
    LaDainian Tomlinson Playoffs Action Figure. *



    * Anal bench splinters sold separately

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Because he's not a very good analyst?

    Like his time here at RB, he's generally a dissapointment IMO.

    The NFL operates under a Salary Cap, I'd expect an NFL Analyst to understand that, and how that has repurcussions.

    As for Sanchez, if thats "analysis", 95% of the posters at J.I. could provide that level of talk. I would expect more from an NFL insider and former player than a shallow "Tanny Screwed Up With Sanchez" line that we've been saying here for years now.

    How about he tell us something we don't all already know?
    Disappointment? He was a huge factor for this team and got this team a ton of 1st downs, when he left so did any semblance of a passing to RB game left.

    He says they should keep REvis, just like half this forum does. Until opur cap situation is sorted out we have no idea if we can keep him or not.

    You are correct about the Sanchez part, so at least he is saying something that is correct vs most analysts not having a foggy clue about the team and still bleating about the Jets.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,212
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Because he is contradicting himself as an analyst. He is criticizing Tanny for creating a salary cap mess, then goes out and says the Jets should not trade one of the best defensive players in the game, which means we would create a salary cap mess for giving him the kind of money he wants.

    We cannot afford this guy, and he is not going to be on this team either this year or next. Time for us to all accept it.
    Unless you use the 2013 to rebuild; 2014 the cap increases and we will be in much better shape. We will have draftees and rookies with 1 yr under their belt and hopefully a QB in the 2014 draft that is a franchise QB.

    It all depends on your perspective on what 2013 is. Revis would definitely help in 2014.

  18. #18
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Unless you use the 2013 to rebuild; 2014 the cap increases and we will be in much better shape. We will have draftees and rookies with 1 yr under their belt and hopefully a QB in the 2014 draft that is a franchise QB.

    It all depends on your perspective on what 2013 is. Revis would definitely help in 2014.
    2013 has to be a "hold the fort" year - no big FA signings, look to build through the draft. The problem is that our FA shopping has finally caught up with us cap wise, along with some questionable extensions. Trading Revis hurts our cap for 2013 and leaves a major hole in the defense. Don't be fooled by the #2 passing defense stat. Teams could run on us all day and were leading for most of the games so obviously they weren't gonna be passing much. We need to get young, inexpensive talent in here via the draft and keep our high quality veterans.

  19. #19
    LT, Namath, etc.,

    All the guys who rant about the team have their right to. Whatever backlash they get, they should expect it and be able to handle it.

    In the end, nobody cares.

  20. #20
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Everything he said is correct, he is now an analyst, why should he stfu?
    Really? Everything? I don't recall this being true...

    Tomlinson, who played 2010 and 2011 with Sanchez, said "they're stuck" with the embattled quarterback because of his hefty contract. He also doesn't believe the Jets when they say they're planning to bring in competition at the position.

    "They said that last year," Tomlinson told the newspaper. "They brought Tim Tebow in and it wasn't much of a competition because (Tony) Sparano didn't know what to do with Tim Tebow. I just think they're in a situation where they have to stick with Sanchez."
    When did they EVER say anything about bringing in competition? In fact, they said the opposite - even when bringing in Tebow.

    If you have a link, I'd be glad to read it.

    And Edit to add:

    Former Jet LaDainian Tomlinson, whose favorite pastime is criticizing his former team, ripped former GM Mike Tannenbaum for the Jets' current salary-cap plight, pointing to the Mark Sanchez contract extension as a major blunder.

    edit to add:

    The below category falls under the "No fukcing sh!t" classification.

    "That was Tannenbaum's fault," Tomlinson, an NFL Network analyst, told the New York Post at Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans. "They're still trying to fix what Tannenbaum messed up."
    Last edited by crasherino; 01-30-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us