Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Right Tackle?

The weak links were Moore & Slausen, I don't are what PFF says.
    I go by what I see & this team needs Guard upgrades

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Howard's not a great pass protector but if you get a TE who can block and a RB who can chip block on our roster he'll be fine.
    I agree but that is not Marty's style. He will send the TEs and RBs out in routes. We need tackles that can play on an island. RT is becoming just as important as LT. Especially in Marty's offense. He passes the ball a lot. We are going from one extreme to the other.

I don't understand why some fans are reluctant to invest high picks in the OL. I know it is not sexy but all of the good teams have invested in their OL. SF has three first rounders on their offensive line. When we had our great OL from 2008-2010 we had FOUR first rounders on it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree but that is not Marty's style. He will send the TEs and RBs out in routes. We need tackles that can play on an island. RT is becoming just as important as LT. Especially in Marty's offense. He passes the ball a lot. We are going from one extreme to the other.

I don't understand why some fans are reluctant to invest high picks in the OL. I know it is not sexy but all of the good teams have invested in their OL. SF has three first rounders on their offensive line. When we had our great OL from 2008-2010 we had FOUR first rounders on it.
    +1

I wouldn't even be opposed to something like this on draft day:

1st round: OG Chance Warmack
    2nd round: OT D.J. Fluker/Kyle Long

or

1st round: OT Eric Fisher
    2nd round: OG Larry Warford

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    +1

I wouldn't even be opposed to something like this on draft day:

1st round: OG Chance Warmack
    2nd round: OT D.J. Fluker/Kyle Long

or

1st round: OT Eric Fisher
    2nd round: OG Larry Warford
    fluker is a slow footed power rt, not the guy you want handling speed rushers.

fisher makes sense, though he's more of a lt. but they can't afford to invest both picks in the oline. too many other needs.

Honestly on a team that lacks skill players at premium positions the idea of spending a high first rounder on a guard or RT is beyond ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post

fisher makes sense, though he's more of a lt. but they can't afford to invest both picks in the oline. too many other needs.

Fluker to me would be a great fit. Remember no more 7 step drops in the WCO 3 and 5 steps and get rid of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    by the way I think there is a pretty good chance the Jets bring back Jason Smith next year to be in the mix.
    I still wonder if he wouldn't be better at OG.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Honestly on a team that lacks skill players at premium positions the idea of spending a high first rounder on a guard or RT is beyond ludicrous.
    What good are skills position players if the OL doesn't allow them to make plays.

Hall Of Fame

When you have as thin a roster as ours you go BPA every single pick b.c chances are the BPA will fill a need. We need to upgrade our talent across the board. That is the only way to get better. Only really good teams can draft for need.

In 2006 we were in a similar position. We lacked talent at the skill positions and our defense was a mess. What did we do? We took two OL in the first-round and that is part of reason we had a brief SB window from 2008-2010.

Now, we need to repair our foundation. Repair the team from the inside out. We need to upgrade at the point of attack first. Whether that is OL or OLB doesn't matter IMO. We can go sexy next year.

Veteran
    Listen all I am saying is Howard is a RFA which means he is ours if we want him. He was not a liability out there last season.

He is still very young and was extremely raw coming out of college. It was his first year starting and he was more then serviceable.

With much bigger needs out there we have to count on this guy getting better for next season. Yes based on last season there were better options out there but we dont have the option really.

I think its pretty much a fact he will be there starter next season.

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Listen all I am saying is Howard is a RFA which means he is ours if we want him. He was not a liability out there last season.

He is still very young and was extremely raw coming out of college. It was his first year starting and he was more then serviceable.

With much bigger needs out there we have to count on this guy getting better for next season. Yes based on last season there were better options out there but we dont have the option really.

I think its pretty much a fact he will be there starter next season.
    We have no idea what moves, restructures, cuts Idzik plans to make before the draft. For all we know he signs a RT via FA. Which is why mock drafts are useless until a week before the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    What good are skills position players if the OL doesn't allow them to make plays.
    What good is an O-line if there are no skill position players capable of making plays? The reality is that serviceable Guards can be had in the mid rounds. Its much rarer to have a game changing pass rushing OLB or starting caliber QB come from anywhere other than the first couple of rounds.

...I don't understand why some fans are reluctant to invest high picks in the OL. I know it is not sexy but all of the good teams have invested in their OL. SF has three first rounders on their offensive line. When we had our great OL from 2008-2010 we had FOUR first rounders on it.
    I believe in building a strong OL. It is the foundation of a good team (obviously QB is the most important position). When I was younger I did not appreicate this. I liked the sexy pick - flashy RB, WR, speed demon-QB smashing LB. I have come to appreciate how a good OL can control a game and help settle down a team that otherwise might lose their cool when things get out of control. They do their job quietly and without a lot of notice. The WRs make a lot of noise and they get the appreciation. Ask Santonio how the OL play affected his game two seasons ago.

We will not be able to improve the OL much (if at all) in FA because of a potential huge problem we have a safety. No one is talking about this. Landry is gone unless we pony up and some how pay him (say goodbye to our FA $$$ with that move). If we don't resign Landry then we are going to have to spend a significant draft pick on safety.

Rookie
    What good is an O-line if there are no skill position players capable of making plays? The reality is that serviceable Guards can be had in the mid rounds. Its much rarer to have a game changing pass rushing OLB or starting caliber QB come from anywhere other than the first couple of rounds.
    This in bold just ain't gonna happen this year. I wish all that want to talk about this as a possibility would just stop wasting space.

When you have as thin a roster as ours you go BPA every single pick b.c chances are the BPA will fill a need. We need to upgrade our talent across the board. That is the only way to get better. Only really good teams can draft for need.

In 2006 we were in a similar position. We lacked talent at the skill positions and our defense was a mess. What did we do? We took two OL in the first-round and that is part of reason we had a brief SB window from 2008-2010.

Now, we need to repair our foundation. Repair the team from the inside out. We need to upgrade at the point of attack first. Whether that is OL or OLB doesn't matter IMO. We can go sexy next year.
    postponing the drafting of skill positions is not the way to go. ask brick and mangold how they enjoyed this past season. it just can't work this way. head coaches and gms don't have the luxury or job security to draft lots of linemen and then draft wrs and rbs. it gets people fired.

With a very good OL, avg talent elsewhere and with good coaching / OC if you execute you can still play well and win.

With AP, Larry Fitz, Gronk and no OL you still won't make plays.

Obviously combining the two and you are off and running

Fix the OL first.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    This in bold just ain't gonna happen this year. I wish all that want to talk about this as a possibility would just stop wasting space.
    Flynn could be a starting caliber QB. Alex Smith could be one. Geno or Barkley or any one of the others could work out. I wish people that want to give up on this season or any season and throw in the towel would stop wasting space. Actually scratch that. This is a message board and everyone is entitled to their opinions.

The Jets oline woes if you can call them that are a partial result of sub par Rb play and horrific QB play.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The Jets oline woes if you can call them that are a partial result of sub par Rb play and horrific QB play.
    thank you.

Hall Of Fame
    postponing the drafting of skill positions is not the way to go. ask brick and mangold how they enjoyed this past season. it just can't work this way. head coaches and gms don't have the luxury or job security to draft lots of linemen and then draft wrs and rbs. it gets people fired.
    Drafting QBs #5 overall and watching them wilt like a dead flower gets HCs and GMs fired.

When you are win the battle at the LOS you will win games.

Nobody is postponing drafting skilled position players. We drafted a WR in 2011 and 2012, both are going to be starters. We will draft a RB this year in the middle rounds to suit Marty's offense.. We already have Holmes.