Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right Tackle?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Right Tackle?

I keep seeing over and over people saying the Jets have a need at RT and need to draft someone.

Are we stuck in last year?

Can someone who actually knows what they are talking about explain to me what is wrong with Austin Howard?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    I keep seeing over and over people saying the Jets have a need at RT and need to draft someone.

Can someone who actually knows what they are talking about explain to me what is wrong with Austin Howard?
    JMO, he scares me in space 1 on 1 against a speed rusher and isn't the dominant road grading RT that he looks like he should be that we could run behind when we need the tough yard.

Its not an absolute imperative in my mind, but if a RT of value comes up in the 2nd/3rd round, I'd definitely consider it (I wouldn't spend the #9 pick on Fisher who seems to be a LT prototype). Having Howard as our swing Tackle - or even moved inside as a Guard, would be a good thing, IMO.

Of course, I'd be in favor of him competing for the job. There's nothing that says he can't improve on what he's done, but being slightly better than Wayne Hunter doesn't give you the job automatically in my mind.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    JMO, he scares me in space 1 on 1 against a speed rusher and isn't the dominant road grading RT that he looks like he should be that we could run behind when we need the tough yard.

Its not an absolute imperative in my mind, but if a RT of value comes up in the 2nd/3rd round, I'd definitely consider it (I wouldn't spend the #9 pick on Fisher who seems to be a LT prototype). Having Howard as our swing Tackle - or even moved inside as a Guard, would be a good thing, IMO.

Of course, I'd be in favor of him competing for the job. There's nothing that says he can't improve on what he's done, but being slightly better than Wayne Hunter doesn't give you the job automatically in my mind.
    I would say he performed more then slightly better then Wayne Hunter. We hardly heard his name all season after week 1.

Was he perfect? No, but he is still a young raw talent. I definitely think he will get better.

But yes is suppose if value is there you have to take it. I just think there is bigger needs.

It doesnt need to be brought up as a need.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Compared to Hunter, Howard looked like Woody. But Howard showed some warts as the year went on and teams were able to study him.

My preference would be to see if Howard can play Guard and to draft a RT. Draft one of these LT prospects and make them a RT. It is a passing league. Marty's offense is a passing offense. We need to be strong at both tackle spots. We do not have any RBs or TEs on the roster that are good pass blockers. We need to protect the QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Statistically Hunter was actually better. This is a really good FA market for RT slots I really feel that is the one spot we should really look to spend money. Andre Smith, Sebastian Vollmer, Brandon Albert, Phillip Loadholt, Will Svitek, Winston Justice, Bryant McKinnie, Max Starks, Khalif Barnes, or Gosder Cherilus would all be pretty big upgrades for this line at RT. I am not saying go on a spending spree but see who you can get for around 5 mil a year. I honestly don't see some of those guys making huge deals this year. Heck even William Beatty, King Dunlap, and Barry Richardson would be cheap upgrades.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's nothing wrong with Austin Howard. He's a career LT that was asked to play RT and on the fly. For someone who wasn't drafted, Still learning his craft and to be forced into action at a position foreign to him, i think the kid did an awesome job.

With that being said, the Jets could still use an upgrade and by doing so, improve the depth at 2 positions along the OL at the most important of positions.

The Jets need OLmen and pass rushers more than any other position on the team. That's why i want to trade Revis... We're going to lose him and we should because of the type of money he wants. If we can get a 1st for him , it would go along way to adding the type of player that could potentially solve those 2 problems.

With 2 1st and our early 2nd. i would add 2 OLmen and the OLBer we need.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    When i see Eric Fisher picked at #9 in mocks I laugh. Why spend a top 10 pick on a RT who isnt even a good fit to play RT?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Statistically Hunter was actually better. This is a really good FA market for RT slots I really feel that is the one spot we should really look to spend money. Andre Smith, Sebastian Vollmer, Brandon Albert, Phillip Loadholt, Will Svitek, Winston Justice, Bryant McKinnie, Max Starks, Khalif Barnes, or Gosder Cherilus would all be pretty big upgrades for this line at RT. I am not saying go on a spending spree but see who you can get for around 5 mil a year. I honestly don't see some of those guys making huge deals this year. Heck even William Beatty, King Dunlap, and Barry Richardson would be cheap upgrades.
    What stats are you looking at, and are you comparing Howard to 2011 or 2012 Hunter?

Pretty sure that according to PFF's stats (which I see as useful, but not gospel), Howard in 2012 was decent, and Hunter in 2011 was just about worst in the league.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because the player is a LT, not a RT and the more good players you can get the better your team is. What happens to the Jets OL if brick gets hurt ?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Because the player is a LT, not a RT and the more good players you can get the better your team is. What happens to the Jets OL if brick gets hurt ?
    Why would a team draft a backup with the 9th pick?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Howard is cheap and serviceable. We need to draft to fill both Guard positions and sign or draft a blocking TE.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Compared to Hunter, Howard looked like Woody. But Howard showed some warts as the year went on and teams were able to study him.

My preference would be to see if Howard can play Guard and to draft a RT. Draft one of these LT prospects and make them a RT. It is a passing league. Marty's offense is a passing offense. We need to be strong at both tackle spots. We do not have any RBs or TEs on the roster that are good pass blockers. We need to protect the QB.
    Howard's not a great pass protector but if you get a TE who can block and a RB who can chip block on our roster he'll be fine.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Howard's not a great pass protector but if you get a TE who can block and a RB who can chip block on our roster he'll be fine.
    +1

We have many greater need than RT. Howard had been improving as the season wore on. With all our other needs I think he's a keeper.

In rounds 2-3-4, RB and TE are my priorities. S. Taylor in the 3rd would really fill our WCO needs at RB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Considering where Howard was coming from he was more than serviceable.
    Remember he was a TE in college that got switched to OT late in his career.
    That's why he was a UDFA, with our need to get our cap situation fixed
    he's a player you want starting for you. He's young, cheap and has a
    definite upside you just hope he takes a step in the off season program.
    We need to spend our picks and $$$ on other positions not RT

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Considering where Howard was coming from he was more than serviceable.
    Remember he was a TE in college that got switched to OT late in his career.
    That's why he was a UDFA, with our need to get our cap situation fixed
    he's a player you want starting for you. He's young, cheap and has a
    definite upside you just hope he takes a step in the off season program.
    We need to spend our picks and $$$ on other positions not RT
    I disagree with this. Howard really didn't look good last year. Your basically saying lets do again what we did with Hunter. For a few games he looked like a progressing RT so lefts give him 2-3 mil a year and overpay for a BU OL. If we are going to give him even the 1.8 mil tenure we should consider just upgrading in FA. It is not a waste of money at all and the market is in your favor because of how many good RT are there. I don't think his up side warrants us not improving on the position. If we resign as a BU and draft a new starter fine but I'd rather improve not stand pat on what was a huge whole last year. Everyone is ready to draft a G at 9 when RT is still the bigger need.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I disagree with this. Howard really didn't look good last year. Your basically saying lets do again what we did with Hunter. For a few games he looked like a progressing RT so lefts give him 2-3 mil a year and overpay for a BU OL. If we are going to give him even the 1.8 mil tenure we should consider just upgrading in FA. It is not a waste of money at all and the market is in your favor because of how many good RT are there. I don't think his up side warrants us not improving on the position. If we resign as a BU and draft a new starter fine but I'd rather improve not stand pat on what was a huge whole last year. Everyone is ready to draft a G at 9 when RT is still the bigger need.
    Dude you are crazy. If you can upgrade the position then Im all for it but the question is at what cost? If you draft a guy high then what other bigger position of need are we leaving out? FA is not an option. We have limited money and Howard under contract. Plus I would take Howard over half the guys you listed in your previous post.

If you want to bring in a cheap veteran or draft a guy in the later round to compete ok but basically this is Howards job to lose.

I know ppl always say you cant count on a guy improving but guess what you have to in this league. You have count on your young guys to step up because you cant have an all-star at every position.

I think the real problem is ppl are scared because of the history with Hunter. We were foolish to think Hunter would get better he isnt young. Howard is going to be a guy we have to count on. Way to many needs otherwise.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    by the way I think there is a pretty good chance the Jets bring back Jason Smith next year to be in the mix.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    by the way I think there is a pretty good chance the Jets bring back Jason Smith next year to be in the mix.
    and there is always DENNIS LANDOLT. The guy just keep ssticking around. je must have some talent for the Jets to keep him around this long.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would resign him also as long as he's willing to sign an incentive ladden contract.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude you are crazy. If you can upgrade the position then Im all for it but the question is at what cost? If you draft a guy high then what other bigger position of need are we leaving out? FA is not an option. We have limited money and Howard under contract.
    Plus I would take Howard over half the guys you listed in your previous post.
    If you want to bring in a cheap veteran or draft a guy in the later round to compete ok but basically this is Howards job to lose.

I know ppl always say you cant count on a guy improving but guess what you have to in this league. You have count on your young guys to step up because you cant have an all-star at every position.

I think the real problem is ppl are scared because of the history with Hunter. We were foolish to think Hunter would get better he isnt young. Howard is going to be a guy we have to count on. Way to many needs otherwise.
    Howard is a FA and is not under contract. We can tenure him at 1.8 mil then try to sign him to a Hunter like deal or sign him after he hits the market. Those are the options on him they are not cheap. If FA is not an option then neither is resigning Howard off FA.

If so I am glad your not our GM. I have defended the line more then anyone over the last 2 years but Howard and Slauson are the obvious weak links on the line. Any of the guys I listed are with out a doubt better. This is a good FA for RT we'd be pretty stupid to just resign the guy we saw last year no question asked. If we tenure him you are talking giving him the same deal we gave Hunter. Let him hit FA. If you can't get a better RT I am pretty sure he will be still be on the market late. It is not the history of Hunter he isn't starter quality in this league.