Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Collision Low Crossers

  1. #1
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,623

    Collision Low Crossers

    I'm surprised this book isn't getting more attention. This is a full-bore, massively detailed look at the 2011 season written by a guy who was completely embedded with the team. He was in on every meeting, every high level discussion, and every practice. Access unheard of because Woody wanted someone to write a book based on what life is like in the NFL. It's fascinating.

    I'm about halfway through, but I just wanted to mention a couple of things that stuck out:

    - Rex is 100% a players coach, but he is definitely not head coaching material. He put this team in jeopardy because of his own personal feelings towards guys and a faulty evaluation instinct. He comes off as proud of the fact that he drafted Scotty McKnight to placate Sanchez, but that move absolutely pissed off everyone else on the staff (Pettine said that's when he felt like their relationship began to become strained). He got that stupid tattoo on his leg to convince Wayne Hunter to re-sign with the Jets. He was a huge Hunter fan, and called him "his guy." Same deal with Holmes, he was in love with him

    - The coaching staff thought Cromartie was soft, that he was afraid of contact, and he was a waste of his absurd natural ability and physical skills. Could have taken him or left him the year he was re-signed

    - The coaching staff knew Sanchez, entering his third year, was a disaster in training camp. Pettine considered trying to help out Schotty and took pity in him, but he didn't say anything because defense was his priority

    - Jon Gruden was one of the many "consultants" that visited the staff during the lockout, and absolutely savaged the Jets while reviewing film.

    In fact, defense was a priority for Rex too, and looked at the offense with just a passing fancy. He never sat in on Offense meetings, and talked about Pettine's D saying things like "us" and "we."

    It's crazy to read how some of the worst SOJF fears that saturated the Pfail Strip were actually true -- that this team was set up for failure. Pettine seems like a really solid coach, nothing at all like Rex, and I have a feeling that's why our defense sucks now. Rex is a great guy on a personal level, but he is absolutely rubbish when it comes to managing the day-to-day operations of a team.

    Fascinating insights in this book.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    10,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I'm surprised this book isn't getting more attention. This is a full-bore, massively detailed look at the 2011 season written by a guy who was completely embedded with the team. He was in on every meeting, every high level discussion, and every practice. Access unheard of because Woody wanted someone to write a book based on what life is like in the NFL. It's fascinating.

    I'm about halfway through, but I just wanted to mention a couple of things that stuck out:

    - Rex is 100% a players coach, but he is definitely not head coaching material. He put this team in jeopardy because of his own personal feelings towards guys and a faulty evaluation instinct. He comes off as proud of the fact that he drafted Scotty McKnight to placate Sanchez, but that move absolutely pissed off everyone else on the staff (Pettine said that's when he felt like their relationship began to become strained). He got that stupid tattoo on his leg to convince Wayne Hunter to re-sign with the Jets. He was a huge Hunter fan, and called him "his guy." Same deal with Holmes, he was in love with him

    - The coaching staff thought Cromartie was soft, that he was afraid of contact, and he was a waste of his absurd natural ability and physical skills. Could have taken him or left him the year he was re-signed

    - The coaching staff knew Sanchez, entering his third year, was a disaster in training camp. Pettine considered trying to help out Schotty and took pity in him, but he didn't say anything because defense was his priority

    - Jon Gruden was one of the many "consultants" that visited the staff during the lockout, and absolutely savaged the Jets while reviewing film.

    In fact, defense was a priority for Rex too, and looked at the offense with just a passing fancy. He never sat in on Offense meetings, and talked about Pettine's D saying things like "us" and "we."

    It's crazy to read how some of the worst SOJF fears that saturated the Pfail Strip were actually true -- that this team was set up for failure. Pettine seems like a really solid coach, nothing at all like Rex, and I have a feeling that's why our defense sucks now. Rex is a great guy on a personal level, but he is absolutely rubbish when it comes to managing the day-to-day operations of a team.

    Fascinating insights in this book.

    Finally ****ing redemption post that on the strip.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I'm surprised this book isn't getting more attention. This is a full-bore, massively detailed look at the 2011 season written by a guy who was completely embedded with the team. He was in on every meeting, every high level discussion, and every practice. Access unheard of because Woody wanted someone to write a book based on what life is like in the NFL. It's fascinating.

    I'm about halfway through, but I just wanted to mention a couple of things that stuck out:

    - Rex is 100% a players coach, but he is definitely not head coaching material. He put this team in jeopardy because of his own personal feelings towards guys and a faulty evaluation instinct. He comes off as proud of the fact that he drafted Scotty McKnight to placate Sanchez, but that move absolutely pissed off everyone else on the staff (Pettine said that's when he felt like their relationship began to become strained). He got that stupid tattoo on his leg to convince Wayne Hunter to re-sign with the Jets. He was a huge Hunter fan, and called him "his guy." Same deal with Holmes, he was in love with him

    - The coaching staff thought Cromartie was soft, that he was afraid of contact, and he was a waste of his absurd natural ability and physical skills. Could have taken him or left him the year he was re-signed

    - The coaching staff knew Sanchez, entering his third year, was a disaster in training camp. Pettine considered trying to help out Schotty and took pity in him, but he didn't say anything because defense was his priority

    - Jon Gruden was one of the many "consultants" that visited the staff during the lockout, and absolutely savaged the Jets while reviewing film.

    In fact, defense was a priority for Rex too, and looked at the offense with just a passing fancy. He never sat in on Offense meetings, and talked about Pettine's D saying things like "us" and "we."

    It's crazy to read how some of the worst SOJF fears that saturated the Pfail Strip were actually true -- that this team was set up for failure. Pettine seems like a really solid coach, nothing at all like Rex, and I have a feeling that's why our defense sucks now. Rex is a great guy on a personal level, but he is absolutely rubbish when it comes to managing the day-to-day operations of a team.

    Fascinating insights in this book.
    Everything you say about Rex is starting to manifest itself on the field. While I think the players play their hearts out for Rex, I also felt the same way while Herm was here. The difference between Rex and Herm is that while I believe Rex is a much better strategist than Herm could ever dream to be, Herm's teams felt more disciplined and never had the penalty problems that Rex's teams seem to have on a yearly basis.

  4. #4
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Herm's teams felt more disciplined
    LOL!

    Anyhoo...Bonhomme...I think a lot of long time fans have a gut for if their team is for real, even when they compile "weak" victories against strong teams having a bad day. You just "know" if it feels right compared to what you've seen on the field all year.

    SAR was good at summarizing this, albeit in his odious, off-putting fashion.

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,762
    I agree

    Rex just seems like he's too infatuated with being one of the guys. Being the coach that everyone loves.

    Say what you want about Mangini, but the guy had the right idea. I don't give a f*ck if you like me or not. Make a mistake in practice, I'll make you run gassers until you're bent over at the knees puking your guts out. And how did it translate? We were consistently in the Top 5 least penalized teams in the league during his tenure. And he constantly stressed competition and accountability above all else. Never played favorites.

    And people want to talk about Rex getting the best out of this current team?

    How about Mangini earning a playoff berth with a QB with his f*cking right arm dangling by a thread, Adrien Clarke starting on the OL, and Kevin Barlow as our featured RB? And he did it back when the AFC was head and shoulders above the NFC.

    If the guy wasn't so obsessed with being Belichick Jr. and Tannenbaum didn't totally undermine what he was trying to build by making the big "splash" move for Favre, he'd probably still be our coach right now.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I'm surprised this book isn't getting more attention. This is a full-bore, massively detailed look at the 2011 season written by a guy who was completely embedded with the team. He was in on every meeting, every high level discussion, and every practice. Access unheard of because Woody wanted someone to write a book based on what life is like in the NFL. It's fascinating.

    I'm about halfway through, but I just wanted to mention a couple of things that stuck out:

    - Rex is 100% a players coach, but he is definitely not head coaching material. He put this team in jeopardy because of his own personal feelings towards guys and a faulty evaluation instinct. He comes off as proud of the fact that he drafted Scotty McKnight to placate Sanchez, but that move absolutely pissed off everyone else on the staff (Pettine said that's when he felt like their relationship began to become strained). He got that stupid tattoo on his leg to convince Wayne Hunter to re-sign with the Jets. He was a huge Hunter fan, and called him "his guy." Same deal with Holmes, he was in love with him

    - The coaching staff thought Cromartie was soft, that he was afraid of contact, and he was a waste of his absurd natural ability and physical skills. Could have taken him or left him the year he was re-signed

    - The coaching staff knew Sanchez, entering his third year, was a disaster in training camp. Pettine considered trying to help out Schotty and took pity in him, but he didn't say anything because defense was his priority

    - Jon Gruden was one of the many "consultants" that visited the staff during the lockout, and absolutely savaged the Jets while reviewing film.

    In fact, defense was a priority for Rex too, and looked at the offense with just a passing fancy. He never sat in on Offense meetings, and talked about Pettine's D saying things like "us" and "we."

    It's crazy to read how some of the worst SOJF fears that saturated the Pfail Strip were actually true -- that this team was set up for failure. Pettine seems like a really solid coach, nothing at all like Rex, and I have a feeling that's why our defense sucks now. Rex is a great guy on a personal level, but he is absolutely rubbish when it comes to managing the day-to-day operations of a team.

    Fascinating insights in this book.
    Ok... I need to cop this book.

    People were talking about this but NOBODY would answer any questions about it, probably so they could pretend to be insightful or something.

    And I do believe I'm done with Rex now. HUNTER?! No... I don't think so.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I'm surprised this book isn't getting more attention. This is a full-bore, massively detailed look at the 2011 season written by a guy who was completely embedded with the team. He was in on every meeting, every high level discussion, and every practice. Access unheard of because Woody wanted someone to write a book based on what life is like in the NFL. It's fascinating.

    I'm about halfway through, but I just wanted to mention a couple of things that stuck out:

    - Rex is 100% a players coach, but he is definitely not head coaching material. He put this team in jeopardy because of his own personal feelings towards guys and a faulty evaluation instinct. He comes off as proud of the fact that he drafted Scotty McKnight to placate Sanchez, but that move absolutely pissed off everyone else on the staff (Pettine said that's when he felt like their relationship began to become strained). He got that stupid tattoo on his leg to convince Wayne Hunter to re-sign with the Jets. He was a huge Hunter fan, and called him "his guy." Same deal with Holmes, he was in love with him

    - The coaching staff thought Cromartie was soft, that he was afraid of contact, and he was a waste of his absurd natural ability and physical skills. Could have taken him or left him the year he was re-signed

    - The coaching staff knew Sanchez, entering his third year, was a disaster in training camp. Pettine considered trying to help out Schotty and took pity in him, but he didn't say anything because defense was his priority

    - Jon Gruden was one of the many "consultants" that visited the staff during the lockout, and absolutely savaged the Jets while reviewing film.

    In fact, defense was a priority for Rex too, and looked at the offense with just a passing fancy. He never sat in on Offense meetings, and talked about Pettine's D saying things like "us" and "we."

    It's crazy to read how some of the worst SOJF fears that saturated the Pfail Strip were actually true -- that this team was set up for failure. Pettine seems like a really solid coach, nothing at all like Rex, and I have a feeling that's why our defense sucks now. Rex is a great guy on a personal level, but he is absolutely rubbish when it comes to managing the day-to-day operations of a team.

    Fascinating insights in this book.
    You are late to the party. We had a thread on this in the landing strip. Check it out.



    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/th...anyone-reading
    Last edited by escamoter2; 12-18-2013 at 10:27 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    You are late to the party. We had a thread on this in the landing strip. Check it out.
    Not so. None of that stuff was discussed.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,154
    I’m about ’s through it and it’s an excellent read. Since we’re all football freaks, the book is an amazing peak behind the curtain of what goes on in a facility, how game plans are made out. Plus we completely lucked out that this rare book is about our team.

    A few things I picked up:

    No matter how much we may think they suck (ie: Schotty) coaches should get massive respect for the personal sacrifices they make for their passion. They have NO lives outside of football. As Rex puts it after a loss “All the hours lost with your kids and family just isn’t worth it if you lose. “They are all totally devasted after every loss. A lot of very interesting characters on the staff as well.

    Revis may be a greedy mofo, but he is the definition of a Pro. Absolutely everything he does is for the sole intention of being the absolute best.

    Another remark concerning Cro, not only is he portrayed as soft, but also as a hyper sensitive to the point where coaches were scared of being too direct and pointing out his flaws. If Rex gets blamed for being too close to players, then Pettine and his staff deserve some blame too for not blasting Cro when he deserved it. Pretty surprising he put together the season he did the next year following Revis’ injury.

    The author had more rapport with the defensive staff than with the offense so not a lot of insight is given to the offensive chemistry. It came out clearly that on every team there’s a rift between the 2 squads that comes from their mentality: offensive guys want to have fun, defensive guys want to stop you from having fun. That rift grows greater when 1 side isn’t pulling it’s weight which clearly was our case.

    Sanchez comes off as a totally immature goofball.

    Holmes and Burres: total dooshbags

    As probably every team does, the Jets do A LOT to try and get better. Like Paulie said bringing in ex coaches to analyze what the team does, and how they can get better. Gruden absolutely destroyed Schotty. Gruden’s line was awesome: To Schotty “So why do the Jets f*cking suck at screens?”

    As for Rex, I’m at a loss as what he actually does. He’s like a Club Med host, trying to keep everyone’s spirits up, giving passionate speeches..He’s not involved in the offense, and the book shows the defense was Pettine’s (which was a bit of a surprise). His choice of picking Scotty Mckinght was brutal from a management point of view (towards the scouts, the coaching staff and ultimately the players).


    Definitely should be read by any football fan, and of course Jets fans.

  10. #10
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,623
    I agree with Raoul. The quality of writing and reporting in this book is top notch, and we are very lucky that the topic is so familiar to us. If it wasn't about the Jets but, say, the Saints or some other team, I'd still be interested but not as emotionally invested.

    Also, +1 on what the **** does Rex actually do? Pettine was a great coach, also benefitted from having Sutton there big time. Rex all but ignored the offense and special teams was Westy's domain. All Rex seemingly did was prop up suck-ass players and get in everyone's way.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Italian Riveria in Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    16,580
    I read the book, I really enjoyed the way Nicholas Dawidoff penned it, but my take away is that this information is two years old & a lot has happened since then. Even with the author having great access to the team's day to day, I think he concentrated more on the personality conflicts & less on the business end of running an NFL team.


    With that being said I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys football & an excellent read.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,818
    How about when Davidoff explains that we don't value WRs high in the draft b.c the don't touch the ball enough? If that isn't a fundamental flaw in the 2013 NFL I don't know what is.

    The stuff about Jeff Weeks' effect on the coaching staff was fascinating as was the Scotty McKnight draft pick. Interesting how the the coaches (I think it was Sutton) said that if Cotchery was there the nonsense with Moore/Holmes/Sanchez would have never happened. One of the biggest mistakes we have made in recent years was underestimating the importance of leadership. Can't force guys into leadership roles. It has to happen naturally.

    IMO Pettine comes off very good in the book. So does Revis. Cro does come off as soft and it is interesting how his teammates react. Bryan Thomas was a great Jet.

  13. #13
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,360
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    One of the biggest mistakes we have made in recent years was underestimating the importance of leadership. Can't force guys into leadership roles. It has to happen naturally.


  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    One of the biggest mistakes we have made in recent years was underestimating the importance of leadership. Can't force guys into leadership roles. It has to happen naturally.
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Exactly. You can't just hand out Modship and expect a poster to be respected.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    How about when Davidoff explains that we don't value WRs high in the draft b.c the don't touch the ball enough? If that isn't a fundamental flaw in the 2013 NFL I don't know what is.

    The stuff about Jeff Weeks' effect on the coaching staff was fascinating as was the Scotty McKnight draft pick. Interesting how the the coaches (I think it was Sutton) said that if Cotchery was there the nonsense with Moore/Holmes/Sanchez would have never happened. One of the biggest mistakes we have made in recent years was underestimating the importance of leadership. Can't force guys into leadership roles. It has to happen naturally.

    IMO Pettine comes off very good in the book. So does Revis. Cro does come off as soft and it is interesting how his teammates react. Bryan Thomas was a great Jet.
    Agree about the leadership. While Colon has not been John Hannah this season, I think it is worth bringing Colon back on the cheap due to the leadership he has brought to the offense.

  16. #16
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,623
    Here's another interesting little tidbit. Rex always marveled at how fast LT was, even in the twilight of his career. He couldn't believe that a running back was able to backpedal and switch directions like LT could. So, during preparation for the game against the Chargers in 2011, Rex had the bright idea to design a play in which LT played cornerback. He thought it would be a great way to show up his former team.

    Pettine thought it would be insane to risk injury and embarrassment to a part-time running back by making him play a position in an NFL game that he literally never played in his entire life. Yet, Rex kept bringing it up convinced it was a fool-proof plan. Luckily, Pettine prevailed.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Here's another interesting little tidbit. Rex always marveled at how fast LT was, even in the twilight of his career. He couldn't believe that a running back was able to backpedal and switch directions like LT could. So, during preparation for the game against the Chargers in 2011, Rex had the bright idea to design a play in which LT played cornerback. He thought it would be a great way to show up his former team.

    Pettine thought it would be insane to risk injury and embarrassment to a part-time running back by making him play a position in an NFL game that he literally never played in his entire life. Yet, Rex kept bringing it up convinced it was a fool-proof plan. Luckily, Pettine prevailed.
    That is just fcuking ridiculous!
    The stuff I'm hearing about this book is really making me think differently of Rex.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    4,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    That is just fcuking ridiculous!
    The stuff I'm hearing about this book is really making me think differently of Rex.
    I like it. Glad to see Rex is thinking outside the box.


    I see these tall WRs jumping up over CBs to grab the ball in lots of games. So how come there aren't any tall CBs playing? If Hill can't catch the ball, maybe he should play CB instead. I'm sure now Rex must have thought of this too, we think alike, and I'm a fvckin genius.

  19. #19
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    That is just fcuking ridiculous!
    The stuff I'm hearing about this book is really making me think differently of Rex.
    Yeah, this book really makes Rex look like a ****ing idiot.

  20. #20
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,491
    I downloaded this book to my kindle and after reading about 25% I'm falling in love Rex all over again.

    Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us