Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will the Niners send anti-gay player home from SB

Undrafted Free Agent
    He may not have been thrown in jail but PC gone absurd can be just as damaging to free speech when people are afraid to speak their mind in fear of repercussions out of proportion to the statement. It is ok for a Baltimore linebacker to use the SB stage to exploit his views on gay marriage without a single eyebrow raised by the media or American community - but god forbid if someone used the SB platform to support traditional marriage. You are not so far from the gulag than you think.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Love it!

"The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel," Culliver said in a statement. "It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly. Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience."

I love how people in the spotlight shoots their mouth's off then retract it the next day. Yeah, that's heartfelt.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberjet View Post
    He may not have been thrown in jail but PC gone absurd can be just as damaging to free speech when people are afraid to speak their mind in fear of repercussions out of proportion to the statement. It is ok for a Baltimore linebacker to use the SB stage to exploit his views on gay marriage without a single eyebrow raised by the media or American community - but god forbid if someone used the SB platform to support traditional marriage. You are not so far from the gulag than you think.

It's okay, we love you. Kiss and make up?
    Last edited by FreshBaked 24 7; 01-31-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I seriously cannot believe people are calling for him to be suspended from the game, but not a word about Ray Double Slay, except maybe possibly about PED's, but not murder.

WEIRD PRIORITIES!!!!!
    Wait, so anytime anything happens we have to compare it to Ray Lewis?

"I can't believe they called roughing the passer on that play when Ray Lewis was an accessory to murder 12 years ago!"

What does one have to do with the other? The people who are calling for his suspension (just googled - only saw one column saying that, and I'm guessing the guy is a gay activist) are not necessarily interested in the game, they're more interested in pushing their agenda - which is their right.

I highly doubt that the 49ers, who are interested in winning the game, will be suspending Culliver. But, when someone says something dumb, there will be all sorts of reactions to it.

When you are a person in the public light, you best keep your prejudices to yourself, whatever they might be. What he said was stupid. Insert Jew/Muslims/Blacks/Whites/Hispanics/etc. instead and see how it reads.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I don't totally understand this argument. No one is throwing him in jail for his comments. He has every right to voice his opinion, and people have every right to criticize him for making anti-gay comments.

Free Speech simply means that you are free to say what you want without government interference (very roughly). You are not protected from other people commenting on your speech.
    To the best of my knowledge there is no rule in the NFL that mandates recourse for voicing your opinion on someone's sexuality either. People can squawk all they want but there is no basis for demanding his suspension. Ray Lewis on the other hand, ...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

"I can't believe they called roughing the passer on that play when Ray Lewis was an accessory to murder 12 years ago!"

What does one have to do with the other? The people who are calling for his suspension (just googled - only saw one column saying that, and I'm guessing the guy is a gay activist) are not necessarily interested in the game, they're more interested in pushing their agenda - which is their right.

I highly doubt that the 49ers, who are interested in winning the game, will be suspending Culliver. But, when someone says something dumb, there will be all sorts of reactions to it.

When you are a person in the public light, you best keep your prejudices to yourself, whatever they might be. What he said was stupid. Insert Jew/Muslims/Blacks/Whites/Hispanics/etc. instead and see how it reads.
    They're both players in the Superbowl. It makes just as much sense to call for Culliver's suspension (ZERO basis) as it does for Lewis's, who might actually have done something wrong, i.e. two fatalities and PED's, which supposedly the NFL frowns upon. I haven't a single call for any action regarding Lewis.

Next time I get banned, I'm going to call bs on you guys for not banning Ray Lewis first.

He may not have been thrown in jail but PC gone absurd can be just as damaging to free speech when people are afraid to speak their mind in fear of repercussions out of proportion to the statement.
    There's no damage to free speech here. Where is the damage to Free Speech?

The freedom does not guarantee you freedom from repercussions for your words.

The people who consider it hateful have just as much right to say so.

Undrafted Free Agent
    So repercussions of any kind are not a threat to free speech?

Jets Insider VIP
    So repercussions of any kind are not a threat to free speech?
    You slept through civics class didn't you?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    They're both players in the Superbowl. It makes just as much sense to call for Culliver's suspension (ZERO basis) as it does for Lewis's, who might actually have done something wrong, i.e. two fatalities and PED's, which supposedly the NFL frowns upon. I haven't a single call for any action regarding Lewis.
    That's because he was already fined for what he did - according to the NFL, it was dealt with. Culliver just made his comments yesterday. And I of course don't think that Culliver should be suspended, but if you were looking for a basis for suspending him, it would be for saying something stupid and ignorant. Granted, that's not a good basis for being suspended, but it got Brandon Jacobs suspended and kicked off the team.

Here's a whole thread about hating Ray Lewis.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=253720

All League
    This idiot doesn't know that there are more than likely multiple gay players and/or coaches in his own locker room.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Hardly. We can both agree that getting thrown in jail for something said or as a result of a behavior regardless whether it is bad or good is a repercussion - are you following me Einstein? The point being that the repercussion is designed to curb or discourage the speech or behavior. Is it any different that when one speaks his mind that the threat of a suspension or losing one's job is to muffle one's ability to speak freely.

Hardly. We can both agree that getting thrown in jail for something said or as a result of a behavior regardless whether it is bad or good is a repercussion - are you following me Einstein? The point being that the repercussion is designed to curb or discourage the speech or behavior. Is it any different that when one speaks his mind that the threat of a suspension or losing one's job is to muffle one's ability to speak freely.
    Just find where it said he was thrown in jail.

People giving him heat, expressing THEIR opinion (aka exercising Freedom of Speech), isn't damaging or taking away his freedom. You also need to understand that the constitution protects you from your GOVERNMENT, not your employer. Quit being silly.
    Last edited by McGinley; 01-31-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    That's because he was already fined for what he did - according to the NFL, it was dealt with. Culliver just made his comments yesterday. And I of course don't think that Culliver should be suspended, but if you were looking for a basis for suspending him, it would be for saying something stupid and ignorant. Granted, that's not a good basis for being suspended, but it got Brandon Jacobs suspended and kicked off the team.

Here's a whole thread about hating Ray Lewis.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=253720
    What about deer antlers?

And the 49 Niners have said the matter was "dealt with", literally.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 01-31-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Just find where it said he was thrown in jail.
    Are you serious? - we are talking hypotheticals. The concept being held up here by some is that repercussions against speech is not a deterrent against free speech. I disagree with that concept and feel that damage to freedom of speech can be insidious by the powers PC police. I never said that he was threatened with jail.

Are you serious? - we are talking hypotheticals. The concept being held up here by some is that repercussions against speech is not a deterrent against free speech. I disagree with that concept and feel that damage to freedom of speech can be insidious by the powers PC police. I never said that he was threatened with jail.
    You can feel however you want about, but you're still quite wrong. He has the freedom to speak freely without being deterred by the GOVERNMENT. Jam Hardballz isn't the President, just so you know.

"Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech..."
    Last edited by McGinley; 01-31-2013 at 02:09 PM.

What a douchebag. Why, in the year 2013, is someone being gay such a big deal?

edit: what year is it, again?...
    So you're a fruit cake...No Biggy..

Undrafted Free Agent
    You can feel however you want about, but you're still quite wrong. He has the freedom to speak freely without being deterred by the GOVERNMENT. Jam Hardballz isn't the President, just so you know.
    Who dictates what is acceptable speech and why? Does government play a role in its influence? The world is not a black and white world. No need to be obnoxious - why do people on this board feel a need to initiate personal attacks?

Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    So you're a fruit cake...No Biggy..
    A "fruit cake"? Instead of deferring to thinly veiled insults, say what you really want to call me.