Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Will the Niners send anti-gay player home from SB

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberjet View Post
    You are obviously a pleasant fellow. It's quite evident that you didn't read the article I cited. That is expecting a bit much. You're last paragraph actually sums up pretty much what I have been saying about selective suppression of free speech.
    Who's going to read your ****ing article.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Obviously not you. Ignorance is bliss. Stay happy.

Obviously I am not making myself clear - maybe I am and just don't get it. Here's an article that gets into detail my thought process.

http://jonathanturley.org/2012/10/14...f-free-speech/
    I'm not sure what the point of that article is. It seems like an incredibly paranoid view of US free speech based mostly on either stuff that happened outside the US or in cases where Americans (like Hillary Clinton) were talking about events outside the US.

Again, free speech and such was much more of an issue in the 1950s and 1960s than it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I'm not sure what the point of that article is. It seems like an incredibly paranoid view of US free speech based mostly on either stuff that happened outside the US or in cases where Americans (like Hillary Clinton) were talking about events outside the US.

Again, free speech and such was much more of an issue in the 1950s and 1960s than it is today.

It's getting awfully close to a political debate, but the article isn't even close to being paranoid. Just look at the Muhammed cartoon thing.

As people have noted, the First Amendment only restricts government actions wrt Freedom of Speech. That said, why society itself acts to restrict free speech sans government, it's just as pernicious.

Just look at the title of this thread, "Will the Niners send anti-gay player home from SB"? How is it that this question is even seriously being asked ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Yes he is.
    No he isn't.

Just because Sanchez put his face between Brandon Moore's butt cheeks doesn't make him ghey.

Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    With the money I make blowing hobos I was able to get enough of an education to know what the **** 'Freedom of Speech' actually means instead of being one of the throngs of internet dumbasses who always pipe up about 'freedom of speech' all because some idiot is getting rightly called out for saying stupid ****.
    LOLz good point, but leave those hobos alone. I agree that freedom of speech is protected, but backlash related to that speech is also protected.

Are you serious? - we are talking hypotheticals. The concept being held up here by some is that repercussions against speech is not a deterrent against free speech. I disagree with that concept and feel that damage to freedom of speech can be insidious by the powers PC police. I never said that he was threatened with jail.
    I think I understand what you mean. A lot of us are sick of the "pc" crap that's reigned supreme for the past few decades. Yes, backlash IS a deterrent to saying what's on your mind. I can think of a few statements that raise a ruckus right off the top of my head:

1) a white person who didn't vote for Pres. Obama is called racist, even though he didn't vote for him because he didn't like the POTUS's platform. This repercussion has caused many people to remain quiet in a storm of intolerance for legitimate diffferences of political opinion.

2) a person who believes in God is labeled a "religious fanatic" simply for exercising their right to freedom of religion, so that faith must remain hidden.

3) a young woman who admits she's a virgin will probably be teased, but a young man who's a virgin is derided as "gay". Definitely would suppress that statement.

4) a person who is pro-choice about abortion is accused of promoting "murder". Be careful who you tell.

5) a person who is anti-abortion is called a religious zealot. That person may not even believe in God, but is ridiculed nonetheless.

6) Someone who believes marriage is between a woman and a man is vilified as "anti-gay", instead of just being someone with a different opinion.

I see a lot of this kind of intolerance on the net. Life isn't black and white - it's shades of gray. YOUR way or MY way is not the only "right" way. I'm tired of the negative labels and the class warfare like the "99%" BS, "Occupy Wall Street" crap, and the "47 percent" idiocy. I can respect your choice to blow hobos but I don't have to agree with it.

The McDummy 9ers player has a right to believe what he wants. But as a 9er he represents the team and shouldn't have discussed such a volatile topic. He's probably learned a valuable lesson. That apology was pretty effing funny though.

Hall Of Fame
    I think it is time for a LOCK/DUMP.

Remember when people spread rumors that Jeff Garcia was gay?

He's definitely a lesbian.

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Weinies and Cho cha's were meant for procreation. Weiners dont belong in another mans butt. it's natures design.

GoooooooJets!
    While I agree with your general idea there, you can't dictate love or decide that a man or woman's love for their partner "doesn't belong". Men are also born with nipples, and those aren't really doing much for us. But, I understand that your opinion is coming from your Christianity, so I'll respect that and move on.

Speaking of bromance, where's my bf 10Penny?

#ILYPenny

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Like it or not, some people think that homosexuality is wrong, or, even if they are fine with it, they wouldn't be comfortable having a gay teammate in the locker room with them. But, they can't come out and say that because it's not politically correct.
    Go ahead and say it. Say something I disagree with. I'll tell you calmly why I think you are wrong. Or I'll fly off the handle and call you all sorts of names. A bunch of other people might do so as well. Say it publicly too. On your company's facebook. And maybe they'll fire you. Doesn't stop you from saying it. At all.

There's no 'cant' come out and say that' about it. You still can. You choose not to because there's a price that comes with unpopular speech and that is that others can use their rights to respond.

Should I be able to come into work dressed in a KKK outfit and talking to other co-workers about how pedophiles should be recognized as a minority like homosexuals with a guarantee that nobody can criticize me or that my company cannot react in any way?

Do you see how a scenario like that could actually be considered a restriction on freedoms of my coworkers and my company?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Who's going to read your ****ing article.
    It was a pretty good article. You should read it.

http://jonathanturley.org/2012/10/14...f-free-speech/

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    What he's talking about is the "chilling effect" reactions have on a person's ability to speak their mind. If you will, it's a heckler's veto.

Like it or not, some people think that homosexuality is wrong, or, even if they are fine with it, they wouldn't be comfortable having a gay teammate in the locker room with them. But, they can't come out and say that because it's not politically correct.

Nope, everyone MUST conform to the currently accepted orthodoxy, else they face the repercussions.
    I thought that Cyberjet explained it fairly well also, but, as is so often the case, he got attacked for his opinion. The backlash clearly works on people. It's also a one way street heading steeply downhill left.

One thing being overlooked is that the guy was really speaking the truth. If there are any homosexuals on his team they are definitely hiding, and will probably stay hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    No he isn't.

Just because Sanchez put his face between Brandon Moore's butt cheeks doesn't make him ghey.

LOLz good point, but leave those hobos alone. I agree that freedom of speech is protected, but backlash related to that speech is also protected.

I think I understand what you mean. A lot of us are sick of the "pc" crap that's reigned supreme for the past few decades. Yes, backlash IS a deterrent to saying what's on your mind. I can think of a few statements that raise a ruckus right off the top of my head:

1) a white person who didn't vote for Pres. Obama is called racist, even though he didn't vote for him because he didn't like the POTUS's platform. This repercussion has caused many people to remain quiet in a storm of intolerance for legitimate diffferences of political opinion.

2) a person who believes in God is labeled a "religious fanatic" simply for exercising their right to freedom of religion, so that faith must remain hidden.

3) a young woman who admits she's a virgin will probably be teased, but a young man who's a virgin is derided as "gay". Definitely would suppress that statement.

4) a person who is pro-choice about abortion is accused of promoting "murder". Be careful who you tell.

5) a person who is anti-abortion is called a religious zealot. That person may not even believe in God, but is ridiculed nonetheless.

6) Someone who believes marriage is between a woman and a man is vilified as "anti-gay", instead of just being someone with a different opinion.

I see a lot of this kind of intolerance on the net. Life isn't black and white - it's shades of gray. YOUR way or MY way is not the only "right" way. I'm tired of the negative labels and the class warfare like the "99%" BS, "Occupy Wall Street" crap, and the "47 percent" idiocy. I can respect your choice to blow hobos but I don't have to agree with it.

The McDummy 9ers player has a right to believe what he wants. But as a 9er he represents the team and shouldn't have discussed such a volatile topic. He's probably learned a valuable lesson. That apology was pretty effing funny though.
    That pretty much sums it up. I wish I had read it before I responded.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Men are also born with nipples, and those aren't really doing much for us.
    #ILYPenny
    Hey speak for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    I thought that Cyberjet explained it fairly well also, but, as is so often the case, he got attacked for his opinion. The backlash clearly works on people. It's also a one way street heading steeply downhill left.

One thing being overlooked is that the guy was really speaking the truth. If there are any homosexuals on his team they are definitely hiding, and will probably stay hidden.
    No, (from what I read) he was criticized for not knowing what Freedom of Speech meant according to the U.S Constitution. Engaging in a conversation with someone isn't "attacking" them.

Why should the man be cut or thrown out of the NFL for his opinion? I don't agree with him but he's entitled to his opinion without fear of retribution under the U.S. Constitution isn't he? I hate to say it but the LBGT community are turning into little fascists in this country, you can't say one damned thing against them or you will be blacklisted and thrown out of your profession. Some people think homosexuality is wrong, and they have a right to believe it and to verbalize it under the U.S. Constitution. As much as I disagree with the young mans statements, he still has a right to verbalize them!

He doesn't like gay people and he doesn't think it's a good idea for them to be in the NFL, that is his opinion. Since when does the LGBT community have the right to show up with their SS armbands and start ordering people up against the wall for expressing their own ideas? I for one am getting pretty damned tired of this fascistic behavior by them and the complicity of every organization from coast to coast. People have a right to their ideas, you don't have to like them but do have to allow them...

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Why should the man be cut or thrown out of the NFL for his opinion? I don't agree with him but he's entitled to his opinion without fear of retribution under the U.S. Constitution isn't he?
    Welcome to the conversation!

I'll throw some fuel onto this fire by mentioning how hypocritical it is for black athletes in the NFL to not only rip on gays, but also oppose things like Marriage Equality.

If not for the civil rights movement, none of these guys would be making millions of dollars in the NFL. They'd be living in squalor and drinking from separate water fountains.

Fortunately for them, most Americans eventually decided (some sooner than others) that "separate but equal" was a bunch of horsesh*t.

LGBT equality is going in the same direction - its basically the civil rights movement of our era (like it or not)-so when these rich black athletes start yapping about their homophobia it just makes me facepalm.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

OK, and with that, we'll end the discussion.

Feel free to head over to the political forum to continue it.

Thanks.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

"The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel"

Um, Wait... Wut?