Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Vladimir Ducasse

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I missed it, Vlad was a top 10 pick?

We took a shot on a very athletic, huge, strong player with a pick in the 58-60 range. He wasnt a top 10 pick, wasnt a first rounder or even a high second rounder....he was a pick at the end of the second round, there is nothing wrong with taking a shot there.

Only on this board is a GM supposed to hit on every pick.

Ozzie Newsome took jimmys smith who so far in 2 years has been terrible...guess he should be fired.
    Ok we disagree but point taken.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    While he has been too slow to develop and looking back, a reach even on the bottom of the second round, still might be hope for him.
    This will be the year he must step up or he will loose his roster spot next season and be gone.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

We took a shot on a very athletic, huge, strong player with a pick in the 58-60 range. He wasnt a top 10 pick, wasnt a first rounder or even a high second rounder....he was a pick at the end of the second round, there is nothing wrong with taking a shot there.

Ozzie Newsome took jimmys smith who so far in 2 years has been terrible...guess he should be fired.
    It's a fair point, plus both Mayock and Kiper had a 2nd round grade for him. Personally, I think it's a huge risk to draft a small school o-lineman that high. I think the UMass & Tanny connection had a lot to do with this pick. What I didn't like is the Jets, for the past 3 years, have desperately tried to find this guy a position on the o-line (LG, RG, RT)...he flat out cannot play. Maybe with Idzik here now and how he's preaching competition, it's officially a make or break camp for Vlad.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFa[B
    n;4800879]Not entirely fair. He has a language obstacle to overcome.[/B] The bigger reason for his failure is that he has poor feet. Seems like the nicest guy in the world but he is not athletic enough to move with NFL defenders.
    Language obstacle? He was in this country for 8 years before he took the test. Face it, guy's as dumb as a pile of mud.

And his feet suck.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    The Ducasse pick in the 2nd round was enough reason to fire Tanny.
    We all make mistakes...my view on Vlad is visually, to the casual fan, he looks SO RAW and undeveloped I would NEVER have drafted him 2nd round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    We all make mistakes...my view on Vlad is visually, to the casual fan, he looks SO RAW and undeveloped I would NEVER have drafted him 2nd round.
    Vlad was like the 8th or 9th best OL in that draft and all of the better ones did fly off the board that year. I had Jared Veldheer ranked higher but he was not a RT. The class just wasn't very deep. Was picking him over Charles Brown, John Jerry, and Bruce Campbell really that bad a call? I don't think any of them are starting at T right now. Some good Gs but we where looking for a RT to groom as Woody's replacement. He tried to go need over BPA to improve the team. Vlad had a 3rd round grade but we didn't have a 3rd round pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son.

Thats basically what Vlad is.

His biggest Jet accomplishment is winning the "King Ugly" award his rookie year

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Vlad was like the 8th or 9th best OL in that draft and all of the better ones did fly off the board that year. I had Jared Veldheer ranked higher but he was not a RT. The class just wasn't very deep. Was picking him over Charles Brown, John Jerry, and Bruce Campbell really that bad a call? I don't think any of them are starting at T right now. Some good Gs but we where looking for a RT to groom as Woody's replacement. He tried to go need over BPA to improve the team. Vlad had a 3rd round grade but we didn't have a 3rd round pick.
    I see and respect your point....but
    Under that type of view...we would draft Glennon at QB.

I would have passed on VLAD based on his rawness and the fact he NEVER faced BIG TIME competition.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 01-31-2013 at 10:15 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    Not entirely fair. He has a language obstacle to overcome. The bigger reason for his failure is that he has poor feet. Seems like the nicest guy in the world but he is not athletic enough to move with NFL defenders.
    Language? the guy went to college for 3 1/2 years. Because he talks with an accent does not make him semi literate.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

He was a 6th round longshot project picked in the 2nd round.

Criticism for this selection is 100% legitimate.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know i am going to get killed for this, but i think he still has some upside...small school guy, didn't really play football too long...i'd give him another year at guard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    He was a 6th round longshot project picked in the 2nd round.

Criticism for this selection is 100% legitimate.
    Not according to every single expert in the nation. Many of which had him as a high-mid 2nd round pick who actually fell to us in the late 2nd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Not according to every single expert in the nation. Many of which had him as a high-mid 2nd round pick who actually fell to us in the late 2nd.
    Experts???? I really question these guys.

You and I, in a dark bar, after a few pints, could see this guy was a LONG SHOT!

Add to that the lack of real competition at UMASS.

LOOK AT HIS PLAY..... he looks clueless out there and puts your QB at risk.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

You and I, in a dark bar, after a few pints, could see this guy was a LONG SHOT!

I'm just saying the revisionist history that the guy was a "Reach" pick is simply inaccurate. Most people thought we had snagged the BPA on the board with that pick. It just didn't work out, **** happens.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Your post is in response to a ridiculous assertion, so with that in mind, I agree with you 100%. And I agree, every GM misses and its not grounds for being fired.

But, there was a large contingent on this board who, in year 3, were making ludicrous statements like "Give him time - he's developing". I call bull**** there.

Even if a guy is really raw, a 2nd round lineman needs to be in contention to start in year 1. If, on account of being really raw, he is a backup for year 1, he needs to be in the lineup, come hell or highwater, in year 2. I'll give him a learning curve of one year, but that's it.

Ducasse was brought in to start right away - we drafted him and cut Faneca on the same weekend. The fact that he was beaten out by Slauson was not what the team wanted or expected.

I don't hold it against Tanny too much - some picks are busts...it happens. But, Ducasse has been a disappointment, there's no questioning that. Hopefully he steps up and contributes this year and then we'll at least have got something out of him. We'd better considering we may be losing two Guards and the team rotated him in last year solely to be ready for 13'.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I'm just saying the revisionist history that the guy was a "Reach" pick is simply inaccurate. Most people thought we had snagged the BPA on the board with that pick. It just didn't work out, **** happens.
    Understood, and CMART has repeated that many times until I understood (im slow that way). I simply think, MANY TIMES the Jets do something that common sense tells you not to.

i.e. Kyle Brady, Vlad, Kenny O (not Marino) when commo sense points in the opposite direction.

Experts? again...LOOK AT HIM. he is slow and sloppy.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

The guy looks like a physical freak and could have been Jason Pierre-Paul-esque. If that was the case, we'd all be in awe of the Jets scouting department.

Its easy to say now that he's a bust. Not as easy before the draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    The guy looks like a physical freak and could have been Jason Pierre-Paul-esque. If that was the case, we'd all be in awe of the Jets scouting department.

Its easy to say now that he's a bust. Not as easy before the draft.
    I disagree. In pre season he looked slow and clueless. never saw him in college becasue those small school dont get TV time.

Jason Pierre Paul? He was a BEAST in college and the minute you saw him you suspected he would excel in the NFL.

At USF, he was fast and powerful.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vlad sucks. He will start next year b.c we have no cap room and not enough draft picks to fill a depleted roster.

Maybe Idzik will find someone during his tryouts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree. In pre season he looked slow and clueless. never saw him in college becasue those small school dont get TV time.

Jason Pierre Paul? He was a BEAST in college and the minute you saw him you suspected he would excel in the NFL.

At USF, he was fast and powerful.
    It's funny, 90% of this board hated the idea of Pierre-Paul because his production didn't match his measurables and there was a lot of Gholston comparisons being thrown around.