Thread: Should Illegal Aliens with Legal Drivers Licenses be Allowed to Buy Guns?

All League

Should Illegal Aliens with Legal Drivers Licenses be Allowed to Buy Guns?

It sounds like a joke title but it's not...it's more a reflection (IMO) of how ridiculously permissive we have become as a society, that it should even be an open question. But it is, despite all those barking, wild-eyed ones clammoring that "jack-booted government thugs" are banging at their doors trying to take their rights away).

My guess is that currently illegal aliens, with or without licenses, have little trouble purchasing guns. After all, they have no problem getting TINs and home loans. And those are "privileges," not a "right" like a gun.

And with the increasing push to give illegals drivers licenses despite their illegal status, one assumes guns purchases should only become even easier for them.

But should it? Should illegals be allowed to buy guns? Do we want 12 million armed illegals in this country?

And what position would you guess the NRA would take on this? My guess is they'd bite their tongues and support the illegals right to buy guns. Because at their core what the NRA is is pro gun sales. Have they ever been firmly against ANYONE buying a gun? Don't think so.

Jets Insider VIP
    your thread title made my head explode.

luckily, this is covered under Obamacare, so I'm better now.

All Pro
    It's not even close to a joke thread title. Hey, they are marginalized and forced to live in bad neighborhoods, they have a right to protect themselves. Those aren't gangs, they're neighborhood watches.

All Pro
    As usual, the guess is incorrect

Unlike lib groups that want to change or ignore existing laws on the books, The NRA is for: preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals in the legislative, political, and legal arenas, to purchase, possess and use firearms for legitimate purposes as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Starting at the federal level, (go Google the state laws that prohibit illegals from owning / possessing guns yourself)

Federal law (18 U.S.C. 922[g][1-9] prohibits certain individuals from possessing firearms, ammunition, or explosives. The penalty for violating this law is ten years imprisonment and/or a $250,000 fine. Further, 18 U.S.C. 3565(b)(2) (probation) and 3583(g)(2) (supervised release) makes it mandatory for the Court to revoke supervision for possession of a firearm. Specifically, 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(1-9) prohibits the following from possessing, shipping/ transporting, or receiving any firearm or ammunition (including) ...5) an alien who is unlawfully in the United States or who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa

Code of Federal Regulations - Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms 478.32: Prohibited shipment, transportation, possession, or receipt of firearms and ammunition by certain persons.
    (5) Being an alien;

(i) Is illegally or unlawfully in the United States

All League
    it has been my position for quite a while that if you are not a US citizen, then you should not have the same rights and privileges as a US citizen, regardless if you happen to reside in the US or not. I do waffle a bit on this position.

It is a federal crime to sale a gun to an illegal alien. I'm not sure how easy it is to acquire a gun illegally, I suppose it would be easy for those that ran in the wrong circles. I also imagine it is illegal for an illegal to posses a gun?

The NRA has been historically against convicted felons and the mentally ill owning guns. My guess is they would also be against illegal aliens possessing firearms.

I do agree the NRA is pro gun sales.