Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to Vomit; Jets passed on hiring Jim Harbaugh

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kmsurfs2000 View Post
    there is nothing in rex's history to say he would have made that change but we know when his QB was playing the worst in the league he would not even consider trying tebow or mccelroy even in garbage time down 30+ points where it made sense to get them reps
    there was no reason to consider trying Tebow or McElroy. He knew what he had on the roster.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    We didn't have a 2nd rd pick in 2011 what would you suggest we would have used??
    Rex's good looks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Rex's good looks.
    In that case I understand why we didn't get Kaepernick..

Hall Of Fame
    We didn't have a 2nd rd pick in 2011 what would you suggest we would have used??
    Not my job or problem to figure that out. I am not the one saying I wanted him. If he wanted Kaep he could have gotten him in the first round. Or he could have traded future picks.

And he and Tanny have done nothing but cry about losing Brad Smith. Why didn't they keep him for the $15MM over 4 years. If the wildcat is so important to them and if Brad was such a STs ace that seems like a good deal. With all of the money they have wasted on JAGs, guys like Eric Smith making $3MM, Smith would have been a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Unless Rex has less power in the draft then we originally thought. In fact, I've been thinking about this. Is Rex the kind of guy who would do the wheeling and dealing that Mike Tannenbaum did? Would Rex have picked Ducasse in the second round?
    I have a hard time putting all of the drafts on Tanny. I think Rex liked Ducasse b.c he believed in ground and pound. And Rex did want Sanchez. So it isn't like he never wanted any offensive players, it just so happens that he didn't choose wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Not my job or problem to figure that out. I am not the one saying I wanted him. If he wanted Kaep he could have gotten him in the first round. Or he could have traded future picks.

And he and Tanny have done nothing but cry about losing Brad Smith. Why didn't they keep him for the $15MM over 4 years. If the wildcat is so important to them and if Brad was such a STs ace that seems like a good deal. With all of the money they have wasted on JAGs, guys like Eric Smith making $3MM, Smith would have been a steal.

I have a hard time putting all of the drafts on Tanny. I think Rex liked Ducasse b.c he believed in ground and pound. And Rex did want Sanchez. So it isn't like he never wanted any offensive players, it just so happens that he didn't choose wisely.
    1, And the fans would be screaming "We already have this good QB (remember, 2011). Why are we drafting another one with a second round pick when we can improve other things"

2. Turns out getting rid of Smith was the right move. Buffalo overpaid him and he has done nothing for them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Not my job or problem to figure that out. .
    Nope your job is to whine and complain and you do it very well..

Hall Of Fame
    Nope your job is to whine and complain and you do it very well..
    I was thinking of omitting that first sentence. I should have. Low hanging fruit.

Hall Of Fame
    1, And the fans would be screaming "We already have this good QB (remember, 2011). Why are we drafting another one with a second round pick when we can improve other things"

2. Turns out getting rid of Smith was the right move. Buffalo overpaid him and he has done nothing for them.
    1. You are right about the fans. But if Rex was right about Kaep and knew he was going to be good than none of that would matter. There is a saying that goes something like this, I will paraphrase, "when you worry about what the fans think, you end up sitting with them."

2. True for Buffalo it is a waste. But for us, if you listen to Rex and Tanny, it would have been a steal. They have done nothing but talk about how much they miss him and what he meant to the team. And in trying to replace him, they brought in Tebow, which put the final nail in Sanchez' coffin and basically put the perceptions of the Jets being a circus on steroids.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-31-2013 at 02:15 PM.

1. You are right about the fans. But if Rex was right about Kaep and knew he was going to be good than none of that would matter. There is a saying that goes something like this, I will paraphrase, "when you worry about what the fans think, you end up sitting with them."

2. True for Buffalo it is a waste. But for us, if you listen to Rex and Tanny, it would have been a steal. They have done nothing but talk about how much they miss him and what he meant to the team. And in trying to replace him, they brought in Tebow, which put the final nail in Sanchez' coffin and basically put the perceptions of the Jets being a circus on steroids.
    I will say this. I think the Jets fell into the trap of believing what they saw on the practice field. And if he sucks on the practice field, he's not getting playing time.

I also partially blame Tebow for this. He could have pushed for Jacksonville and instead he came here. He partially dug his own grave by coming here.

Hall Of Fame
    I will say this. I think the Jets fell into the trap of believing what they saw on the practice field. And if he sucks on the practice field, he's not getting playing time.

I also partially blame Tebow for this. He could have pushed for Jacksonville and instead he came here. He partially dug his own grave by coming here.
    I see your point but it was widely known that Tebow was never a good practice player, even going back to college. He was a 4th stringer in Denver for a reason. If the Jets didn't know that then that speaks to a lack of competence of maybe gross arrogance.

I think Tebow wished he went to Jacksonville but I do not feel sorry for him. You are right, he got what he wanted. But so did the Jets.

Just another reason why I wanted to just press the reset button on the whole thing. I think Tanny, Rex and Woody all had a say in Tebow coming here and if they truly didn't realize what they were getting into with Tebow then they have no right to be running an NFL team. But you can't fire the owner.

Jets Insider VIP
    I love these time warp stories because they're based on pure hypotheticals with complete disregard of the multitude of variables that determine an outcome.

As already mentioned, Harbaugh had not even had success at Stanford yet in 2009. Further, he was not bringing with him the Niners front office so he wouldn't be dealing with the same players and same picks. There is no way to say that Harbaugh with the Jets today would be the same as he is with the Niners if he had been hired 2 years early.

Rex is a defensive coach

Harbaugh is a qb coach.

Harbuagh would have done a much better job developing Sanchez than Schitty and Soprano but the trade-off would have been we would not have had an elite defense from 2009-2011. Harbaugh ahd the benefit of falling in on a great D in San Francisco that was loaded with talent.

That's one example out of too many to count incompetent decisions this organization is known for. Why draft Marino, we can get O'Brien. etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc............

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Rex is a defensive coach

Harbaugh is a qb coach.

Harbuagh would have done a much better job developing Sanchez than Schitty and Soprano but the trade-off would have been we would not have had an elite defense from 2009-2011. Harbaugh ahd the benefit of falling in on a great D in San Francisco that was loaded with talent.
    Sort of like Rex landing on Mangini's D (at least talent-wise?).

Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    Sort of like Rex landing on Mangini's D (at least talent-wise?).
    But Mangini could not coach them properly. They were horrible in that 2008 season. Rex instantly turned them around.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    We also passed on drafting Brady. GRRRRRR!

Seriously, who cares? Hindsight is always 20/20.

+1

If my grandmother had nuts she'd be my grandfather

Quote Originally Posted by Green + White View Post
    DOOOONNNNNNNTTTTT CAAAAAARRRRRRREEEEEE!
    This has been running through my heads for weeks, and for the life of me I can't recall where it was I picked it up from originally.

Care to enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    This has been running through my heads for weeks, and for the life of me I can't recall where it was I picked it up from originally.

Care to enlighten me.
    Freudian slip?

Ask Vin why I don't like Jim Harbaugh.

I don't like playing the coulda, shoulda, woulda game, but for this instance I'll play.

Assuming Harbaugh had been hired here, would things be any different than they are now? I don't think so.

You still had Mike Tannenbaum pulling the strings and having final say. That means we likely would have FIRED a great HC like Jim Harbaugh just because we had no idea that our GM was what was killing the team.