Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to Vomit; Jets passed on hiring Jim Harbaugh

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    How do some of you function in life constantly looking in the rear view mirror?
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
    - George Santayana

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Jets could have been Jim dandies
    By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 1:39 AM, January 31, 2013

Posted: 1:37 AM, January 31, 2013

NEW ORLEANS — Jim Harbaugh has led the 49ers to Sunday’s Super Bowl, but he could have been the head coach of the Jets instead of Rex Ryan.

In 2009, the Jets brass interviewed Harbaugh, then the Stanford head coach, the week after firing Eric Mangini.

Former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum was in the Arizona hotel that day and walked away impressed with the young coach.

“Dynamic, smart, could light up a room,” was how Tannenbaum described Harbaugh this week.

The Jets talked to Harbaugh in Phoenix, where they also interviewed Cardinals offensive line coach Russ Grimm for the head coaching job. Harbaugh’s interview was kept secret by the Jets, but word leaked out. Harbaugh would issue a statement pledging his allegiance to Stanford.

At the time, the Jets felt Harbaugh was too inexperienced. The 49ers would hire him two years later. A few days after talking to Harbaugh, the Jets interviewed Rex Ryan in Baltimore and felt they had found their man.

“It was one of those things where I think everyone kind of felt like — we felt good about Rex, we felt good about where he was. I can’t speak for [Harbaugh],” Tannenbaum said. “That wouldn’t be fair for me. It was just one of those things where both parties just went their respective ways.”

Ryan led the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances in his first two years. Harbaugh has done the same in San Francisco, but he one-upped Ryan this year by getting to the Super Bowl.

Read more: Jets could have been Jim dandies - NYPOST.com http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...#ixzz2JYTU7zme

Mike Tannenbaum recalls 'dynamic, smart' Jim Harbaugh in 2009 interview for Jets job

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger
    on January 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM, updated January 30, 2013 at 8:16 PM

NEW ORLEANS -- One of the coaches in Super Bowl XLVII was once a candidate for the Jets' head coaching job.

That would be the 49ers' Jim Harbaugh, who made the jump to the NFL head coaching ranks in 2011. Back in 2009, when the Jets were searching for a head coach and Harbaugh had just completed his second season at Stanford, the club secretly interviewed Harbaugh during a West Coast trip that also included a meeting with Russ Grimm in Arizona.

Former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum's impression of Harbaugh in that interview: "Dynamic. Smart. Could light up a room."

The Jets, though, hired Rex Ryan that year, who led the team to AFC Championship Games in his first two seasons but has missed the playoffs the past two years.

Harbaugh has been quickly successful in his first two seasons in the NFL, taking the 49ers to the NFC Championship Game last year and the Super Bowl this year.

When the Jets interviewed Harbaugh, he had a 9-15 record in two seasons at Stanford after three seasons as head coach at the University of San Diego. He had a 15-year NFL playing career as a quarterback but his only coaching experience at the professional level was two years as an offensive assistant for the Raiders. The perception was he may have been still relatively green to come to the NFL.

"It was one of those things where I think everyone kinda felt like – we felt good about Rex, I think he felt good about where he was," Tannenbaum said this week during a round of interviews. "I can’t speak for Jim. That wouldn’t be fair to me to say. It was just one of those things where both parties just went their respective ways."

http://blog.nj.com/super_bowl_blog/p..._jets_job.html
    Just another example of the JETS know better than the league.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
    - George Santayana
    "remember", not lament.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    "remember", not lament.
    When some of the same people who made those decisions are still making decisions today, its good to remember.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    All valid, but still has no bearing on a decision made in '09 without the benefit of hindsight.

To me, it's just looking for any quasi-plausible reason to bash the team you support (or don't)...
    Can't speak for the others, but I'm not seeking to "bash" the team. Simply, I was agreeing with DD's appraisal as well as sharing my indictment of Rex and Sparano's decision to keep going with Sanchez even though his inept play was hurting the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder who Sanchez would choose.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Can't speak for the others, but I'm not seeking to "bash" the team. Simply, I was agreeing with DD's appraisal as well as sharing my indictment of Rex and Sparano's decision to keep going with Sanchez even though his inept play was hurting the team.
    Understood. The 'bash' comment was directed at DDNY, which he has repeatedly done since the end of the season...sometimes to the point of trolling. I just don't understand it, as a fellow fan of the team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zero guarantee that things would have been any better. Even if Harbaugh is a great coach, guys like Bellichick bombed in his first head coaching job in the NFL.

Plus, any team with a coaching vacancy for the two years prior to Harbaugh signing on with the niners could make the same statement. Its like the Jets killing themselves for passing on Marino when 20 other teams passed on him as well.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Would Rex ever have made the switch to Kaepernick from Smith? Rex could barely bring himself to bench Sanchez.
    While Kaepernick has played great, I don't think you can reasonably say there is no way Smith could have brought them to this point.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't there enough Jets hate out there? We really don't need Jet fans creating non-sense...

What about the other 31 teams that also didn't hire super coach Harbaugh?

This might be the most ridiculous thread this board has ever discussed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Isn't there enough Jets hate out there? We really don't need Jet fans creating non-sense...

What about the other 31 teams that also didn't hire super coach Harbaugh?

This might be the most ridiculous thread this board has ever discussed.

did the other 31 teams need to hire a coach in 2009?
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-31-2013 at 09:44 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I see Jet fandom as a self-perpetuating circle.
    LOL, that is very true!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

did all 31 teams need to hire a coach in 2009?
    intelligentjetsfan, not so intelligent post

Instead of drafting the players that they did, the Jets should have drafted all of the players that participated in this year's pro bowl. They're such idiots.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why are we ignoring the fact that Rex actually has had the most success of any other coach in this franchises history?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

did the other 31 teams need to hire a coach in 2009?
    What about the teams that passed on him in 2008 or 2010 or 2011? Unless you think he was only available as a head coach for one year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post

Instead of drafting the players that they did, the Jets should have drafted all of the players that participated in this year's pro bowl. They're such idiots.
    LMAO

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Head coach changes for 2009:

Jets -- Rex
    Chiefs -- Todd Haley
    Browns -- mangini
    Raiders -- Tom Cable
    49ers -- Mike Singletary
    Rams -- Spagnuolo
    Bucs -- Raheem Morris
    Lions -- Schwartz
    Broncos -- McDaniels
    Colts -- Caldwell
    Seahawks -- Mora

That's a lot of coaching changes and the name Harbaugh isn't there. If he was ready in 2009, one of these teams would have grabbed him then. Not even his team now, the genius 49ers, wanted Harbaugh in 2009 and he was coaching in their backyard. As was Oakland.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post

cute analogy but it does not work.

The Jets had a vacancy for their head coaching position. They chose Rex Ryan over other candidates who were available at the time. One of them was Jim Harbaugh. If Ryan gets fired in 12 months (very possible) and harbaugh wins the Super Bowl on Sunday (very possible), the franchise's decision to hire Ryan will be looked at as a mistake.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Head coach changes for 2009:

Jets -- Rex
    Chiefs -- Todd Haley
    Browns -- mangini
    Raiders -- Tom Cable
    49ers -- Mike Singletary
    Rams -- Spagnuolo
    Bucs -- Raheem Morris
    Lions -- Schwartz
    Broncos -- McDaniels
    Colts -- Caldwell
    Seahawks -- Mora

That's a lot of coaching changes and the name Harbaugh isn't there. If he was ready in 2009, one of these teams would have grabbed him then. Not even his team now, the genius 49ers, wanted Harbaugh in 2009 and he was coaching in their backyard. As was Oakland.
    Great job.

Intesting to note that everyone kills the jets front office for their decisionmaking (how can we trust them on their hire of Idzik etc..), but out of all of those coaches, Rex had the most success and its not even close (Caldwell went to the SB but he was carried by Peyton and was already dominating its conference)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Why are we ignoring the fact that Rex actually has had the most success of any other coach in this franchises history?
    because we are a "what have you done for me lately" kind of society.