Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For The First Time In A Long Time...

All League

For The First Time In A Long Time...

I'm REALLY looking forward to the Super Bowl. Two teams whose
    toughness, physicality, style and talent I really respect and admire. To
    think we were on that path only two years ago, let's hope Idzik can
    lead us back. As closely as these teams are matched I wouldn't be
    shocked if we finally see overtime in a Super Bowl

Somehow, I'm not. Couldn't care less about it, tbh. I'll watch it (probably with a buddy) and have some pizza or something, but I don't really care about the game.

Unless it turns out to be an epic ass duel between Flacco & Kaep while their Ds make big plays, I'll probably end up switching back and forth between that and hockey.
    Last edited by McGinley; 01-31-2013 at 08:55 AM.

I know Flacco is playing on a different level this year and big K is doing good things for San Fran but I just see this being a repeat of the thanksgiving game last year, a 6-9 or a 9-12 game that has me half drunk and half asleep by the start of the third quarter

Rookie
    Not a chance in he** the Pats winning the SB= Great game to watch.

Hall Of Fame
    No Pats + No Giants = Enjoyable SB.

I couldn't care less who wins. I am just going to sit back and enjoy the game. No rooting interest. No aggravation. I am going to try some new wing recipes and drink some cold beer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

I couldn't care less who wins. I am just going to sit back and enjoy the game. No rooting interest. No aggravation. I am going to try some new wing recipes and drink some cold beer.
    I agree. Just a heads up, my wife gets food network magazine and I guess in the latest magazine they have a pamphlet of 50 wing sauce recipes. You should check it out. I will probably make 5-10 for the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsonly View Post
    Not a chance in he** the Pats winning the SB= Great game to watch.
    Agreed, without the Giants or Pats in the SB it'll be enjoyable to watch a stress free game for the first time in a years.

+1

Yep...same game attitude...and I'm doing the BBQ ribs cooking.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I agree. Just a heads up, my wife gets food network magazine and I guess in the latest magazine they have a pamphlet of 50 wing sauce recipes. You should check it out. I will probably make 5-10 for the Super Bowl.
    Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Yep...same game attitude...and I'm doing the BBQ ribs cooking.
    I wish I could make some ribs. My smoker got trashed during Sandy.

Schluberator & Gadfly

And No Fish + No Jills.

All Pro
    +1

I will enjoy the SB this year w/o the Pats and Giants. Also I really respect the Niners and Ravens so I will enjoy the game w/o rooting for a team.

Getting the Menu ready for the SB party at my house as we speak.....

Man I must be getting old because anyone who thinks either of these teams are "smashmouth defenses" hasn't been watching football too long.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Man I must be getting old because anyone who thinks either of these teams are "smashmouth defenses" hasn't been watching football too long.
    neither of these teams are "The Steel Curtain" but they are tough defense for today's era of football.

No Pats or Giants is indeed a god-send. Last year was a force myself to get drunk before the end of Q1 kind of game.

All Pro
    The Ravens are the dog (destiny's dog) but some 'expert' was saying not to underestimate them because Flacco will torch the 49 Niners' inadequate secondary, just like he did to Atlanta. Anyone buying this? Doesn't SF have a much more potent passrush to stop him before he ever has a chance to torch anyone on anything? FF is riding on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    isnt there a wing shortage?

For the first time in forever, the Super Bowl isn't between 2 teams I've been rooting against the entire playoffs- I was rooting for the Ravens throughout and I'm still rooting for them tomorrow. Even though I don't care for Jim Harbaugh and I much prefer the Seahawks to the 9ers and have called the 9ers overrated, I won't be mad if they win. This Super Bowl is a Steelers fan's nightmare- their division rivals vs. a team that could tie their number of championships.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    isnt there a wing shortage?
    Not that I know of. I bought packages whole wings, fresh, not frozen. I am going to section them myself.

I'm going to be grilling some. Should I use my basket?

Not that I know of. I bought packages whole wings, fresh, not frozen. I am going to section them myself.

I'm going to be grilling some. Should I use my basket?
    shortage is over i guess.

In the run-up to Super Bowl Sunday, millions of American football fans can rest assured: there is no looming shortage of their beloved chicken wings.

The National Chicken Council estimates that the nation will wolf down 1.23 billion chicken wings over Super Bowl weekend, or nearly four wings for each and every American.

But fears that restaurants, bars, fast food outlets and supermarkets will run out of the savory snack -- served baked, fried or grilled, most often with ranch or barbecue sauce -- are unfounded, the industry group said Thursday.

"There is sufficient frozen poultry in storage," council spokesman Tom Super told AFP in an email, citing the latest data from the US Department of Agriculture.

"So no, there will be no wing shortage," he said. "They might be a little more expensive, but there is and will be plenty to go around."

Unprepared wings are retailing in Washington supermarkets this week for about $2.49 per pound.

Contributing to a rise in prices, there has been a one percent dip in chicken production in the past year, and corn and feed prices are at record highs.

"The Super Bowl is the second biggest eating holiday of the year, after Thanksgiving," noted Charlie Morrison, president of Wingstop, a nationwide chain of more than 550 wings-dedicated franchise restaurants.

"With the growing demand for wings, we are gearing up for this to be our biggest year yet," with more than six million wings sold, up 15 percent on last year, he said in a statement.

The National Restaurant Association estimates 48 million Americans will either take out or call in food for Sunday's big game, with 63 percent naming chicken wings as their "must-have" finger food.

"When it comes to favorite game-watching foods, dips, chicken wings and pizza top the list," the restaurant group's senior vice president Hudson Riehle said in a statement.

He added that, judging from market research, "about two out of five individuals who plan to watch the big game say that healthful food items are a must on their table that day."

That said, 18 percent of respondents to a online survey for CouponCabin.com identified "the dieter -- the one counting calories on one of the most celebrated days of junk food" as the most undesirable Super Bowl companion.

Chicken wings are so popular among Americans that they typically cost more in US supermarkets than they do in Europe, despite being less meaty than chicken legs -- also known as "drumsticks" -- or breasts.

"I think we like the flavor of the meat combined with the fat and the skin" and served up in so many ways, Super said. "And they do so well in bars because the spicy and salty nature of wings pair perfectly with beer."

The season-closing Super Bowl championship, taking place this year in New Orleans, Louisiana, pits the Baltimore Ravens against the San Francisco 49ers. Their hometowns are famous for crabcakes and Asian cuisine, respectively.