Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Canada's first mock

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Canada's first mock

CUTs

- Eric Smith
    - Bart Scott
    - Bryan Thomas
    - Calvin Pace
    - Sione Pouha
    - Tim Tebow
    -Justin Smith

RESIGNED
    - Nick Folk
    - Yeremiah Bell
    - Braylon Edwards
    -Calvin Pace (at the money we will spend on dead money for him)
    -Justin Smith (League Minimum)
    - Mike DeVito
    - Austin Howard
    -Matt Slauson

FREE AGENTS
    -Manny Lawson (LB)
    -Matt Moore (QB)
    -Marcus Trufant (Cb) I think Idzik will plum his team for at least ONE player. I think we will be able to afford Trufant with trading Revis

TRADES
    Trade Revis for a 2nd and a 3rd in this draft, and a conditional 2nd in 2014 that can turn into a 1st (conditional on returning to form, signing him long term). TEAM: St. Louis. They are set up with two firsts this year thanks to the Griffin trade, and can afford gambling on Revis and the 2014 pick turning into a 1st.
    Trade down in the 1st to around 14 With Joeckel, Werner, Millner, Jarvis, Moore, Jordan, Lotulelei, Vaccaro, Rhodes, Montgomery, and Teo all being mentioned as top ten picks, as well as Geno Smith and at LEAST one other QB going in top ten, not to mention the possibility of a WR moving up, we can gain a mid 3rd and a 6th (not equal to chart, but worth it for Jets)

EDIT: When reading the pick about Marcus Lattimore, it was Willis McGahee I was thinking of, who had the devastating injury in the Fiesta Bowl. If you don't like the pick, I would substitute him for Brandon Jenkins, Olb 3/4

This will give us the following:
    1 (14-15 depending on trade down): Barkevious Mingo OLB 3/4.....I think he will fall this far. IF not him, one of him, Jarvis, Moore, Jordan, Montgomery etc will.
    2 (39): Larry Warford, G
    2 (46-St. Louis trade): Eddie Lacy, Rb.....smash-mouth personified
    3 (72): Robert Lester, SS
    3 (78-St. Louis trade): Zac Dysert, Ryan Nassib, Landry Jones E.J. Manuel Tyler Bray, Matt Barkley, QB .......take your pick on which QB you think will be here and worthwhile
    3 (80-trade down): Gavin Escobar, TE
    4 (103) Marcus Lattimore, RB....The projection seems right when looking at other mock drafts. It is a luxury pick, given taking Eddie Lacy. However, when I saw his injury, I thought "there goes that promising career." Same thing I said when Marshawn Lynch had the same looking injury. How has that worked out? Worse case, he can be stashed on IR for a year until Powell or McKnight are not retained for 2014.
    5 (134) Leon McFadden, CB
    6 (167) Devin Street, WR
    6 (170-174 depending on the trade down) Zeke Motta, SS
    7 (199) Gilbert Pena, DT 3/4

All right.....now comes the critiques!!!
    Last edited by CanadaSteve; 01-31-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marshawn lynch never broke his femur, and Barkley will not be there in the 3rd

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well done, I don't think anything is too crazy either.
    Barkley dropping is a real possibility imo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Marshawn lynch never broke his femur, and Barkley will not be there in the 3rd
    CRAP!
    I was completely thinking of the wrong RB the Bills drafted.
    I was thinking about Wilils McGahee, when he tore is ACL, MCL, PCL in the bowl game.
    Either way, I think Lattimore would be worth the risk, given he's a HUGE talent.
    As for Barkley....fine, drop him from the list. There is another 6 QB's there to choose from.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a fan of trading Revis but other then that I like the mock. Not sure how you get the cap room for those FA's when the Revis trade adds 3million to the already dreadful cap situation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    St Louis just signed Finnegan for 8 mill a year last year, and the other cb Jenkins made most of the all rookie teams at corner. And they have a worse oline than the Jets. and they don't have enough cap room even to sign their own picks never mind other teams FA. They will have to make cuts just to get enough room to sign thier picks.

I can't comment on the FA signings as you don't have a cap number associated with the signing. Revis does not save any money by trading him as the remaining SB hits the cap. But you seem to be a lot more than 10 mill on FA.Which is where those cuts get you. 142mill - 35 mill in cuts = 107 mill -3mill in carryover leaves the jets with
    104 mill and 17 mil of cap room, 6-7 mill will beset aside for the picks that leaves the jets with around 10 mill to spend on FA. To tag the RMA high enough to get compensation will be 1.8 mill
    Last edited by patman; 01-31-2013 at 11:40 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    St Louis just signed Finnegan for 8 mill a year last year, and the other cb Jenkins made most of the all rookie teams at corner. And they have a worse oline than the Jets. and they don't have enough cap room even to sign their own picks never mind other teams FA. They will have to make cuts just to get enough room to sign thier picks.

I can't comment on the FA signings as you don't have a cap number associated with the signing. Revis does not save any money by trading him as the remaining SB hits the cap. But you seem to be a lot more than 10 mill on FA.Which is where those cuts get you. 142mill - 35 mill in cuts = 107 mill -3mill in carryover leaves the jets with
    104 mill and 17 mil of cap room, 6-7 mill will beset aside for the picks that leaves the jets with around 10 mill to spend on FA. To tag the RMA high enough to get compensation will be 1.8 mill
    Then make the trade with Minnesota or Tampa Bay....either way, I think the picks are in about the right location. You could do the trade down with St. Louis if that is the case. They would still be good trade partners given their situation.

As for Revis, I don't see the numbers that way. But we'll leave that for later. Signing Matt Moore and Lawson will not cost that much, and if the contract is done right, Trufant could fit under the cap this year, while paying him more in the 2nd-3rd year of the deal (given our cap situation next year).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way too many trade scenarios, it makes for fun discussion, but it is hardly a realistic draft scenario.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Way too many trade scenarios, it makes for fun discussion, but it is hardly a realistic draft scenario.
    two trades are unrealistic?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does Justin Smith mean Jason Smith?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Then make the trade with Minnesota or Tampa Bay....either way, I think the picks are in about the right location. You could do the trade down with St. Louis if that is the case. They would still be good trade partners given their situation.

As for Revis, I don't see the numbers that way. But we'll leave that for later. Signing Matt Moore and Lawson will not cost that much, and if the contract is done right, Trufant could fit under the cap this year, while paying him more in the 2nd-3rd year of the deal (given our cap situation next year).
    Regardless of the trade partner, your asking a lot for a team not to wait one year to sign him. a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd and having to pay him 15 mill. You have to think what other options are available for Tampa. To get an idea of his value to tampa fans, post on a general NFL board.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regardless of the trade partner, your asking a lot for a team not to wait one year to sign him. a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd and having to pay him 15 mill. You have to think what other options are available for Tampa. To get an idea of his value to tampa fans, post on a general NFL board.
    Does Schiano still run the Tampa zone D that has been run since Dungy? Or did he change it? If they still run it, Revis is an overpaid waste as primarily a zone CB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How is asking for two 2nds and a 3rd too much for Revis? I am generally not on board with people who think we should be getting two 1sts for this guy. But if you trade him for a 2nd and a 3rd, and a conditional 2nd, I think everyone wins here. If he does not play up to expectations, then you give up the second and be done. But if he comes back to form, plays at his level (best in the game at Cb), and signs a contract with the team, I mean, what more can you ask?

I mean, if someone wants him bad enough, they will pay. If they don't, then I guess the Jets will just take their chances with him going into free agency.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    How is asking for two 2nds and a 3rd too much for Revis? I am generally not on board with people who think we should be getting two 1sts for this guy. But if you trade him for a 2nd and a 3rd, and a conditional 2nd, I think everyone wins here. If he does not play up to expectations, then you give up the second and be done. But if he comes back to form, plays at his level (best in the game at Cb), and signs a contract with the team, I mean, what more can you ask?

I mean, if someone wants him bad enough, they will pay. If they don't, then I guess the Jets will just take their chances with him going into free agency.
    The way I look at it your trading him for a 1 year rental for the 2nd an 3rd rd picks With the bucs picking 44th in the 2nd when you throw a third in your pretty much getting a 1st rd value for the 1 year rental, if he signs long term your getting the 2nd 1st. There is not that many team that play man and have 20 mill of cap room Say 12 for revis, and 8 to sign their own FA and picks.

If you don't think that is a lot, look at the FA this year and see what you think you can sign for 15 mill total then see who you think will be there at the 44th and 75th picks, then look at where you can get somebody at 20 this year in the draft, (yes you have to wait a year. though) put those 5 or 6 players on one side and Revis on the other and tell me if you would do the deal as a Bucs fan.

If Revis would sign for 5 years 60 mill with 1/2 as a bonus, You would get that package, because then 4 or 5 more teams would be in play. Cinci Got the cap room but signing Revis means letting hall walk next year, likewise Cleveland with Haden Walking next year. To me I think the landing spot is Denver. They have a late 1st they can cut Bailey and save 7 mill and still sign Clady and Tracey Porter and have a 2 year window before Thomas and Miller are FA, by then Manning's money would be gone. Revis goes to a playoff team, and may sign for a little less to play for a competitor,

My guess is that he stays with the jets and Cro is traded.
    Last edited by patman; 02-01-2013 at 07:52 AM.