Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osi open to Jets ?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Osi open to Jets ?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-new-york-jets
    I would grab him if he can fit with our money structure,he's still a great pass rusher and was always better than Tuck in my opinion.He gets the ball with the strip sack very well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    3 years ago i would have said yes. But we have Coples and Wilkerson now. We can't afford to pay big money to Osi on the hopes he gives 100% (which he didn't always do with the Giants)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would bring him in to teach our younger guys on the dline how to get to the qb and be a role model and perhaps help us win a superbowl in decent timeframe.He is a difference maker.He eighter sacks and gets the ball or doesn't do anything,but his sacks have major payoff.Many more possessions.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about going to a 4 - 3 and running : Dion Jordan - Wilkerson - Poucha - Osi,Coples.I would do it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everything being done now has to pay off in 2015. Osi will not help us in 2015 so we wont even look at him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year he had 6 sacks on 653 snaps. Pass unless it's for vets minimium which he won't accept.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Everything being done now has to pay off in 2015. Osi will not help us in 2015 so we wont even look at him.
    exactly, Osi would have been the perfect move in '09/'10 when we were pieces away from winning a Super Bowl. Now its about draft picks, young guys getting experience and cap flexibility

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    How about going to a 4 - 3 and running : Dion Jordan - Wilkerson - Poucha - Osi,Coples.I would do it.
    No
    Our personell is far better suited for the 3-4.
    Wilkerson and Coples are best suited for 3-4 DE
    We also dont have the linebackers to play 4-3.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    At this point I want players for what they will become, not what they once were.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    No
    I think Wilkerson and Coples would be better off in a 4-3. 3-4 ends have responsibility that limits their pass rushing ability.

We essentially have no olbs at all right now and are in fact closer to having 4-3 olbs than 3-4 if you ask me. Harris could be an mlb and Davis can play outside.

I would much rather be a base 4-3 team as in my mind it opens up the draft process a lot more. There is a smaller supply of 3-4 type players than 4-3 guys and I am really starting to hate each year at draft time looking at good pass rushing De's and discarding them because they don't fit the 3-4

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No
    We also don't have the linebackers to play a 34, either.

In the 34 we have our ends (Coples, Wilkerson), our nose (Pouha, Ellis) and two ILB's (Harris).

In the 43 we have our tackles (Wilkerson, Coples, Pouha, Ellis), possibly an end (Coples), our MLB (Harris) and quite honestly, one OLB (Davis could move here).

There are major holes regardless.

Anyway, as others have stated previously, there's no reason for Umenyiora to be here. We need people are going to be impact players in two years, not next year. This team will not be a playoff team for at least one season, but probably two.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I think Wilkerson and Coples would be better off in a 4-3. 3-4 ends have responsibility that limits their pass rushing ability.

We essentially have no olbs at all right now and are in fact closer to having 4-3 olbs than 3-4 if you ask me. Harris could be an mlb and Davis can play outside.

I would much rather be a base 4-3 team as in my mind it opens up the draft process a lot more. There is a smaller supply of 3-4 type players than 4-3 guys and I am really starting to hate each year at draft time looking at good pass rushing De's and discarding them because they don't fit the 3-4
    Where are Wilkerson and Coples playing in a 4-3? Both are 3T guys in a 4-3. One isn't going to play nose, and you're not putting Coples in his best position to succeed by placing him at LE. Remember when people b!tched about the Coples pick because his production was smaller as a senior than as a junior? That was because Coples played end his senior year, not tackle where he was the year before. You'll run into the same problem with Wilkerson...you're not putting a guy who is 310 lbs and end in a 4-3 unless all you want out of him is run stuffing a la Red Bryant on the Seahawks.

Both guys are interior pass rushers on passing downs. We can give plenty of 4-3 "looks" on passing downs by having Coples/Wilk as the lone down lineman, both at 3T, and then have to edge rushers playing out of a 2 point stance. It's really six of one half dozen of another.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    Osi would be perfect lining up opposite Coples in a 4-3. The two of them with Rex coaching would give us an excellent pass rush. Problem is there's absolutely no way the Jets can pay him he's a UFA and going to get a big payday from someone.

Plus Osi is 31. You can't give a 31 year old guy a 4 year deal.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Osi would not be worth it as a pure pass-rusher to me. He'd have to convincingly set the edge and make tackles in the run game. He doesn't have the size to play with his hand in the dirt as a 3-4 DE, either. So he'd have to represent an improvement against the run over Calvin Pace/Bryan Thomas for me to like, say, a three-year year deal.

My Giants fan buddies tell me he blew contain a bunch of times this season and got lured up-field. In fairness they played the Redskins and Eagles four times.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He likes to generate controversy through the media so he would probably fit in perfect here

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We could live with a 4-3 of Osi - Ellis/Devito - Wilk - Coples. But we would need a MLB and Harris doesn't count.

He also said he guarantees a Jet/Giant SB next year at that he will be playing in it.

Sounds like he is very open to coming here. Which is kind of obvious b.c he wouldn't have to move. I would imagine that he would prefer to stay in NY if he can.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-31-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Where are Wilkerson and Coples playing in a 4-3? Both are 3T guys in a 4-3. One isn't going to play nose, and you're not putting Coples in his best position to succeed by placing him at LE. Remember when people b!tched about the Coples pick because his production was smaller as a senior than as a junior? That was because Coples played end his senior year, not tackle where he was the year before. You'll run into the same problem with Wilkerson...you're not putting a guy who is 310 lbs and end in a 4-3 unless all you want out of him is run stuffing a la Red Bryant on the Seahawks.

Both guys are interior pass rushers on passing downs. We can give plenty of 4-3 "looks" on passing downs by having Coples/Wilk as the lone down lineman, both at 3T, and then have to edge rushers playing out of a 2 point stance. It's really six of one half dozen of another.
    One or both could play DT in a 4-3. I do think coples can play DE. These are both quality players but expect their sack totals to top out at 6 a year if you are going to stick them as 3-4 ends who's 1st responsibility is to control the line and gap control. These guys have the ability to be wreak havoc type of players but 3-4 DE's simply are not put in that kind of position very often.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    One or both could play DT in a 4-3. I do think coples can play DE. These are both quality players but expect their sack totals to top out at 6 a year if you are going to stick them as 3-4 ends who's 1st responsibility is to control the line and gap control. These guys have the ability to be wreak havoc type of players but 3-4 DE's simply are not put in that kind of position very often.
    +1

We have to switch to a 4-3 defense next season. The way our roster is shaping up Pouha will be cut to give us cap room which means we won't have a viable starting NT on our roster.

Coples would be excellent as a 4-3 DE. That was his position in college.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No
    We have linebackers suited for the 3-4?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about we trade for DaMarcus Ware and RG3 and sign them to insane contract extensions this offseason too?

Oh wait, this team can't afford to sign anybody and this thread should be dumped!