Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Frost promoted to U Oregon OC

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott Frost promoted to U Oregon OC

Have at it!!!
    Ducks elevate Scott Frost to offensive coordinator

Posted by John Taylor on January 31, 2013, 3:07 PM EST

Chip Kelly‘s departure for the NFL led to Mark Helfrich‘s promotion from offensive coordinator to head coach. Not so surprisingly, Oregon has stayed in-house for Helfrich’s replacement as well.

The Ducks confirmed via a press release Thursday that Scott Frost has been promoted to the position of offensive coordinator. Frost has spent the past four seasons as UO’s wide receivers coach.

“Scott is a bright, passionate and talented young coach who we are excited to lead our offense,” Helfrich said. “His background on both sides of the ball, the coaches he’s been exposed to and his high character offer further foundations for his success. Surrounded by the continuity and support from the rest of our staff, we are confidently looking forward to this program’s continued success.”

Following a playing career that included a 24-2 record as Nebraska’s starting quarterback, the 38-year-old Frost served on coaching staffs at his alma mater, Kansas State and Northern Iowa before joining the Ducks.

Frost’s promotion comes a couple of days after Matt Lubick was hired as passing-game coordinator. Lubick, who comes to the Ducks from Duke, will assume Frost’s role as receivers coach as well.

(Photo credit: Oregon athletics)

Share this:
    Twitter8

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    he played about as well for us as Eric Smith does...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    good for him

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of many questionable picks by Parcells

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    One of many questionable picks by Parcells
    How was that a questionable pick? Scott Frost was a QB in college that the Jets wanted to transform into a Safety. It never really worked out. He had the athletic ability, all of the measureables. Parcells had a hunch about the kid.

Terry Bradway did the very same thing with Kerry Rhodes. Bradway also had a hunch, with really nothing else to back it up.

You win some and you lose some. So why may I ask was this pick questionable?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    “Scott is a bright, passionate and talented young coach who we are excited to lead our offense,” Helfrich said. “His background on both sides of the ball, the coaches he’s been exposed to and his high character offer further foundations for his success. Surrounded by the continuity and support from the rest of our staff, we are confidently looking forward to this program’s continued success.”

Scotty found his niche in football...good for him.

Who knows...could be a future HC NYJ.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    How was that a questionable pick? Scott Frost was a QB in college that the Jets wanted to transform into a Safety. It never really worked out. He had the athletic ability, all of the measureables. Parcells had a hunch about the kid.

Terry Bradway did the very same thing with Kerry Rhodes. Bradway also had a hunch, with really nothing else to back it up.

Because he sucked.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

You kill Tanny for selecting a project in the second? Parcells took a 3rd rounder on a kid who had never played defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

By definition, drafting a QB with the thoughts of turning him into a safety is questionable.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Because he threw away a high pick on a player that never showed he could play the position?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    You kill Tanny for selecting a project in the second? Parcells took a 3rd rounder on a kid who had never played defense.
    What Parcells did was worse. Stephen Hill is raw, but he isn't being asked to play a position that he's never played before. He just needs refinement.

Parcells used a 3rd rounder on an option QB, with the intention of turning him into a safety. If he'd used a 6th or 7th on Frost, it wouldn't have been a big deal. But he used a 3rd. That's the issue.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    What Parcells did was worse. Stephen Hill is raw, but he isn't being asked to play a position that he's never played before. He just needs refinement.

Parcells used a 3rd rounder on an option QB, with the intention of turning him into a safety. If he'd used a 6th or 7th on Frost, it wouldn't have been a big deal. But he used a 3rd. That's the issue.
    More to the point, it should be expected that WRs take time to develop. To whine about the production, or lack of production of a raw WR in his rookie season is silly. Regardless Hill was taken where he should have been taken, he has shown ability and hopefully continues to develop. Frost didn't have the ability or instincts to play a position that Parcells thought he would be able to convert to.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    He will be a coordinator in the NFL in less then 5 years. Oregon's highspeed offense will only continue to get more popular in the NFL and teams will be looking to hire more people from Chip Kelly's coaching tree.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    he played about as well for us as Eric Smith does...
    Scott Frost started the Jets tradition that required the team to have one awful white safety on the roster at all times

Scott Frost, Jon Mcgraw, Derek Pagel, Eric Smith... etc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I meant. Although Tanny also did it with Vlad. But you aren't asking them to change positions. Even then, going from guard to tackle, or corner to safety is one thing. QB to safety is tough, and you don't do that with a high 3.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by w0mbat View Post
    Scott Frost started the Jets tradition that required the team to have one awful white safety on the roster at all times

Scott Frost, Jon Mcgraw, Derek Pagel, Eric Smith... etc.
    HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA. So true.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every time I hear the name Scott Frost I always think 'Hall of Fame'. Always under rated

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    By definition, drafting a QB with the thoughts of turning him into a safety is questionable.
    That depends on where that player is taken in the draft. If you want to spend a second day pick on a developmental player? Go ahead. I think that is a wise place to take a developmental player.

If you spend a 1st day pick on a developmental player, you are either extremely confident or insanely idiotic.

1st day picks are the lifeline for any NFL organization. You rely on your 1st day picks to contribute almost immediately. That's how any wise organization survives.

Using a 1st day pick on a developmental player is absolute stupidity as far as I am concerned. The uncertainty, and there always is with any player labeled as "developmental", will never be a wise risk when it comes to a first day pick.

If it's a second day pick and it doesn't work out? Well, who gives a sh*t? You didn't EXPECT that player to become a foundation player. If it works out, you like a genius. If it doesn't work out, no one cares, nor should they.

Now, I was not aware that Frost was taken in the 3rd round. That IMO is not a wise choice. My bad. I falsely recalled he was taken in the 5th round. Big difference. So the pick most certainly was questionable.

Bradway taking Rhodes in the 4th round? I have no problem with whatsoever. No one could have ever known that Rhodes would become such a p*ssy. Before that? He was an animal. It worked out great.

I will say in Parcells defense, that was not an insanely idiotic move. That was supreme confidence in what he was doing. Granted there's a fine line between the two.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I thought he was a 5th round pick. My bad. You're right. I'm wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

TRUE. 2nd day picks are fine to squander on developmental players. You expect 2nd day not to work out or to at least have a very uphill battle making the team. Especially, when it comes to any pick 5th round and beyond. A 4th rounder is a little shaky, but you wouldn't expect many to argue about that.

1st day picks should always be reserved for players that can contribute almost immediately. When you pick developmental players on the 1st day it is an enormous gamble and one that will likely cost the team big time.

Ducasse being sh*t killed this team along the OL. The CS was expecting Ducasse to become their future RT. The guy can't block his way out of a wet paper bag. It's obvious with that pick that Tanny was drafting for NEED instead of taking the best available player.