Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baltimore Ravens "Team of Destiny"

All Pro

Baltimore Ravens "Team of Destiny"

Oh really, why is that? What the HELL does that even mean? Almost every person (on sports shows, etc.) is picking Baltimore to win and claiming it's because they're a 'team of destiny'. I've heard that repeated so many times that I swear it must have been a talking point prepared by the NFL and disseminated in the press pamphlets or something.

What does that even mean, team of destiny? And what makes Baltimore fit this definition, whatever that might be? What have they done besides keep trying for the last five years and had a mediocre QB who flops around the field like a 6 ft walking burrito (h/t National Lampoon) and losing playoff game after playoff game until finally getting into the Superbowl. Oh and have criminals who got a religious dispensation because, who knows why, he talks a lot or something.

Boy am I rooting for the 49-Niners especially now that that turd Alex Smith is outta there! He still gets the ring though, right?

Someone -please explain.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

You can stop starting threads now.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    Finally, we can agree on something...

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Oh really, why is that? What the HELL does that even mean? Almost every person (on sports shows, etc.) is picking Baltimore to win and claiming it's because they're a 'team of destiny'. I've heard that repeated so many times that I swear it must have been a talking point prepared by the NFL and disseminated in the press pamphlets or something.

What does that even mean, team of destiny? And what makes Baltimore fit this definition, whatever that might be? What have they done besides keep trying for the last five years and had a mediocre QB who flops around the field like a 6 ft walking burrito (h/t National Lampoon) and losing playoff game after playoff game until finally getting into the Superbowl. Oh and have criminals who got a religious dispensation because, who knows why, he talks a lot or something.

Boy am I rooting for the 49-Niners especially now that that turd Alex Smith is outta there! He still gets the ring though, right?

Someone -please explain.
    Ehh I am by no means a fan of the Ravens and agree the "team of destiny" talk is a little absurd (although I get it- the win against the Broncos was borderline miraculous). However, Flacco is pretty darn good (not elite) and you sound like a bozo bringing him into the topic of the thread- the Ravens have played in how many AFC games since he was drafted? More importantly, he has played great this post season and deserved to get to the Superbowl last year too- give credit where credit is due.

Who's picking the Ravens? Maybe I'm reading and watching different things but most pundits seem to be going with SF. After all, they are the favorites.

Personally, I think Baltimore has a good shot, but I think Kapernick will break some big runs against that slow defense. SF wins, 27-17.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Who's picking the Ravens? Maybe I'm reading and watching different things but most pundits seem to be going with SF. After all, they are the favorites.

Personally, I think Baltimore has a good shot, but I think Kapernick will break some big runs against that slow defense. SF wins, 27-17.
    I must have missed those, it was mostly guests on the radio shows, you know random famous people who are involved in sports and who they grab to fill the air time with, e.g. other football players who aren't playing in the game but have something to sell on air, etc. All the ones who picked Ravens seemed to agree they were the team of destiny, though.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyM View Post
    Ehh I am by no means a fan of the Ravens and agree the "team of destiny" talk is a little absurd (although I get it- the win against the Broncos was borderline miraculous). However, Flacco is pretty darn good (not elite) and you sound like a bozo bringing him into the topic of the thread- the Ravens have played in how many AFC games since he was drafted? More importantly, he has played great this post season and deserved to get to the Superbowl last year too- give credit where credit is due.
    Well he's in the topic because he is on the team of destiny, I guess his play, finally winning the AFC championship - equates to team of Destiny?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post

I'm with you Toon, I'm just hoping that Baltimore makes a game of it but I see the 49'ers wining this by a minimum of ten points.

They are the "underdog story". I seriously don't understand why but they are. Dont know what the line was vs Indy but Denver and NE both where in the 9-7 range. I'm guessing by game time SF will be at least 5 points fav over them. This is the same Balt D from last year and the year before and are better then people are currently giving them credit for. They are healthy at the right time and have the best O they have ever had. It will be a great game.

SAR I
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    Destiny, karma, santa, and (possibly) god are all best friends.

All Pro
    I hope ravens choke. Jon's done a hell of a job - but the BAL franchise is nearly as arrogant as the patriots.

I am rooting for them, this is their last shot for this team, they are against the cap, Lewis retiring gets them 6.5 mill under but that will go to the rookies and Dennis Pitta and filling out the roster.

Mckennie, Dickson, Jones, Ellerbree, Kruger, WIlliams, Reed are all guys who have probably played their last game for the Ravens. At Least Webb is coming back next year. Newsome will get them back soon enough though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    They are the "underdog story". I seriously don't understand why but they are. Dont know what the line was vs Indy but Denver and NE both where in the 9-7 range. I'm guessing by game time SF will be at least 5 points fav over them. This is the same Balt D from last year and the year before and are better then people are currently giving them credit for. They are healthy at the right time and have the best O they have ever had. It will be a great game.
    this, plus the fact that the Ravens went through a slump, fired their OC, and got hot at the right time (like the Giants and Packers previously). It doesn't take much to impress dumass reporters (which is like, all of them).

SAR I
    Agreed.

People were doing the same thing with the Giants last year, so what's the big deal?

Schluberator & Gadfly

SAR I
    You should follow your own advice.

Schluberator & Gadfly

YOU ARE MY DENSITY...

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    You should follow your own advice.
    Did you just snub SAR?

Also, "snub" spelled backwards is "buns". Nice buns, brah.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Did you just snub SAR?

Also, "snub" spelled backwards is "buns". Nice buns, brah.

I'm rooting for the Ravens. Any team that knocks the Patriots out of the playoffs twice in three years has soft spot in my heart.