Thread: Simplified Mock Draft

Simplified Mock Draft

My mock has fewer specifics than some others because I'm mainly interested in the Jets positional priorities and what I've seen so far as the distribution of talent across rounds (e.g. I feel good about getting a quality safety in the third so I wouldn't like taking Vaccaro in the first like some mocks have the Jets doing).

Leans slightly toward need, but tries to balance need with BPA.

CUTs

- Eric Smith
    - Bart Scott
    - Calvin Pace
    - Tim Tebow
    - Justin Smith

RESIGNED
    - Yeremiah Bell
    - Braylon Edwards
    - Mike DeVito
    - Austin Howard
    - Dustin Keller (iffy on this one)

FREE AGENTS
    OLB (1) journeyman
    DB (1) journeyman
    QB (1) journeyman

TRADES
    Not assuming any trades to keep it simple. What's need about this draft is it looks to me like talent available in different rounds lines up pretty well with the Jets priorities. Players listed are in order of preference.

1 (9): OLB: Ansah, Mingo, Jordan
    2 (39): G: Barrett Jones, Larry Warford
    3 (72): S: T.J. McDonald, Tony Jefferson, Baccari Rambo (risk)
    4 (103) offense at large: QB Ryan Nassib, RB Montee Ball, WR Da'Rick Rogers (risk)
    5 (134) RB: Stepfan Taylor, La'Veon Bell
    6 (167) WR project
    7 (199) risk pick, Rambo, Rogers, or in my dreams Mathieu, etc., character issue guys.
    Last edited by Tackleem; 02-01-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Veteran
    I really like this. Stud edge-rusher followed by Warford would be a great scenario. Not sure how realistic it is to expect M Ball and S Taylor to be available in the 4th and 5th rounds, though.

Hall Of Fame
    Is Stepfan Taylor projected to go in the 5th? I really like him a lot and thought he was much higher than that.

All Pro
    I'll throw a name into the ring for that 6th round WR prospect.

TJ Moe although he might go a bit earlier now. He's having an outstanding week at the Texas vs. the Nation game and sounds like a sure-handed, good-route-running slot WR. Watched some video and he's not particularly fast, but looks like a good slot WR prospect.

I picked up on him through a link on draftdaddy that brought me here:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...tion-Game.html

6. T.J. Moe, WR, Missouri (5112, 201 and 4.55 E): After a strong day Tuesday, Moe had an excellent day on Wednesday. Displaying great route running today, Moe made it look easy getting open. He was able to turn cornerback’s hip with good fakes and got open with double moves repeatedly. He did not just catch the ball well today, but had magnets for hands and made numerous tough catches look routine. In addition to making plays catching passes, Moe displayed the aggressive playing attitude that NFL teams love and really showed it making an excellent crack-back block.
    Clearly I am having a slow morning

Taylor is projected 2nd or 3rd round now... No way he lasts until the 5th...

Positionally, I definitely agree with OLB in 1.

In rounds 2 & 3, I would want a QB and a RB. It looks like any QB we take will be a giant question mark, so I'd wait until 3. If we do RB in the 2nd, we should get either Taylor or Lacy. For our new offense, a multi-dimensional 3-down back will be very important, which is why I think spending a 2 on it makes sense.

In the 3rd, Nassib or Manuel or whoever we like. You have to take a chance on someone for 2014.

For the later rounds, I'd say S / OL / WR / TE. Safety is a deep class, and you can always get a decent guard late. 6 or 7 though you just have to take players you like.

One more early pick, either by trading down from 9 or trading Revis, would be really helpful, because obviously there's a huge difference between Warmack / Warford and who we'd get in the 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Is Stepfan Taylor projected to go in the 5th? I really like him a lot and thought he was much higher than that.
    Damn. Haven't noticed him shoot up boards. I would definitely take him as early as the third round, and then look for best safety available in the fourth. I really think the Jets need to draft a startable cover-safety-type, though, whereas worst case scenario Bilal Powell/Joe McKnight/mid-round pick/cheap vet can hold down a zone-run game for a year until the Jets go QB/RB in the first and second in 2014.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Damn. Haven't noticed him shoot up boards. I would definitely take him as early as the third round, and then look for best safety available in the fourth. I really think the Jets need to draft a startable cover-safety-type, though, whereas worst case scenario Bilal Powell/Joe McKnight/mid-round pick/cheap vet can hold down a zone-run game for a year until the Jets go QB/RB in the first and second in 2014.
    I think Taylor would be a perfect fit for Marty's offense. He is a good runner. Can catch the ball out of the backfield. And he has been very well-coached.

Jets Insider VIP
    At 5,6,7 I would take a shot a TE, DE, OT instead of eg. WR.

Why do you feel Taylor will be there in the 5th. IMO he is one of the top 5 backs this year and the only one proficient in blitz pick up. For that reason he is a good fit, you just have him going at least 1 rd late.

Rogers, I think will go a round earlier also, 1st rd talent, who will drop to due character but it is not like the guy got arrested.to me he is no later than mid 3rd but most likely will be gone by the end of the 2nd. Miami with 2 #3s has the need and the extra pick to roll the dice.

Sorry, I did not read the previous posts regarding Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He is a projected 4th on CBS which is as accurate as it gets. There is only 2-4 RBs even worth late 2nd round concentration I say 3 will be gone at most going into the 3rd. Taylor is the 9th ranked RB I have him at 8 so 4th is about right as it stands right now. I could see guys like Bell, Jamison, Graham, or even Rouse jumping up after the combine. So yes a 5th is possible. It all depends on who is reaching in this draft. Only 5-6 teams need a RB enough to really reach in this draft IMO. You may actually see some fall simply because no one may want to touch RB in the 1st 2 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    He is a projected 4th on CBS which is as accurate as it gets. There is only 2-4 RBs even worth late 2nd round concentration I say 3 will be gone at most going into the 3rd. Taylor is the 9th ranked RB I have him at 8 so 4th is about right as it stands right now. I could see guys like Bell, Jamison, Graham, or even Rouse jumping up after the combine. So yes a 5th is possible. It all depends on who is reaching in this draft. Only 5-6 teams need a RB enough to really reach in this draft IMO. You may actually see some fall simply because no one may want to touch RB in the 1st 2 rounds.
    But from what seen in the past the guys that can pass block end end up going higher and the guys that can't drop. Taylor played in a pro set caught the ball well. I think he will be gone in the late 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    But from what seen in the past the guys that can pass block end end up going higher and the guys that can't drop. Taylor played in a pro set caught the ball well. I think he will be gone in the late 3rd