Post Thanks / Like

R.i. P. Mayor Koch

The mayor of NYC during my Childhood. Sad stuff

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    R.I.P. to great man.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Caleb Moore, Ron Jeremy, now Mayor Koch, WTF is going on?

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    He made me forget which party he belonged to, now that's a great politician. Great man, R.I.P. Mayor Koch.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Last words;

How'm I d________________

Too soon?

RIP Mayor.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    The mayor of NYC during my Childhood. Sad stuff
    GREAT Mayor. Pulled NYC out of the brink that Beame couldn't.

stood tall and said....NOBODY will push NYC around.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So many memories of Koch as mayor. The guy was a classic and New York institution. His presence will be missed, but his spirit will live on forever.

RIP, Ed Koch.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    So many memories of Koch as mayor. The guy was a classic and New York institution. His presence will be missed, but his spirit will live on forever.

RIP, Ed Koch.
    Yes... RIP Ed..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP Ed Koch, A Truly Great Man, and a breed of politician we now rarely see... someone who understands why he believes what he believes and gets the job done.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember Ed at the games in the 86 World series.

RIP.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I loved Mayor Koch as well, but we cannot forget his place in New York Jets history:

"That memorandum recognized that the Mets would have exclusive use of the stadium until they had completed their season. As the team moved to Shea under new ownership, they were, in most years, required to open the season with several road games, a problem made worse in 1969 and 1973 when the Mets had long playoff runs.

Feeling that this arrangement put the Jets at a disadvantage, the team announced in 1977 that they would play two home games a year during the month of September at the Giants' new home in New Jersey, Giants Stadium. Litigation began between New York City and the Jets over the issue, and in the lawsuit's settlement, the city agreed to allow the Jets to play two September home games a season at Shea beginning in 1978 for the remaining six years in the Jets' lease. In 1977, the Jets were to play one September game at Giants Stadium and an October 2 game at Shea.[34]

In spite of these issues, majority owner Leon Hess was interested in renewing the team's lease at Shea, which was due to expire in 1983. Hess negotiated with New York mayor Ed Koch.[35] Hess wanted the city to redevelop the stadium to expand its capacity. He also hoped to renegotiate other aspects of the lease—the Jets received no money from ticketholders parking at Shea. Hess's proposals met resistance from Koch.[35] When negotiations reached an impasse, the Jets announced their intention to depart for New Jersey.[35] On December 10, 1983 the Jets played their final game at Shea and lost to the Steelers 34–7.[33] As fans pillaged the stadium for mementos, the scoreboard read "N.J. Jets" in reference to the Jets's departure to the Meadowlands.[33]"

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    A great Jew.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Last words;

How'm I d________________

Too soon?
    Maybe you need to research humanity. Humans empathize with loss of life. THE POINT IS, YOU DON'T MESS WITH SOMEONE THAT JUST DIED.

I know exactly who Gary Moore is. I'm positive I know far more about politician's than you, and probably know more professional politicians. THAT'S NOT THE POINT EITHER DOUC-E....

Man died, let him RIP... grow up.

Yo

:deadalien:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is Koch's most memorable football quote.

When the New York Giants won the Super Bowl in January 1987, Koch refused to allow a ticker-tape parade for the champs because the Giants had left New York for New Jersey's Meadowlands more than a decade earlier.

"If they want a parade, let them parade in front of the oil drums in Moonachie," Koch said, referring to a community near the Meadowlands.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    He made me forget which party he belonged to, now that's a great politician. Great man, R.I.P. Mayor Koch.
    Well said, Apache. He was a great New Yorker who truly loved New York. He is already missed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Maybe you need to research humanity. Humans empathize with loss of life. THE POINT IS, YOU DON'T MESS WITH SOMEONE THAT JUST DIED.

I know exactly who Gary Moore is. I'm positive I know far more about politician's than you, and probably know more professional politicians. THAT'S NOT THE POINT EITHER DOUC-E....

Man died, let him RIP... grow up.

Yo

:deadalien:
    So much win.

Btw, Kotch would visit Police Pcts. on Christmas and give out cookies...when he lost to Dinkins, he did a farewell tour of all the pcts. posing for photos.

The cops at City Hall called him Uncle Ed.

QUintessential NY'er.

One of his best lines..."The people have spoken and they must be punished"

-
    Last edited by 32green; 02-01-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    A ghey Jew.
    fixed

i gave it a day

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    GREAT Mayor. Pulled NYC out of the brink that Beame couldn't.

stood tall and said....NOBODY will push NYC around.
    Hey...you should know better; Koch got a helluva bounce from the increase in salaries at that time; but you are right: he knew what to do with (some) prosperity.

What's the festival/street fair in the upper east side @ 86th street? I shook his hand there in 1983.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I loved Mayor Koch as well, but we cannot forget his place in New York Jets history:

"That memorandum recognized that the Mets would have exclusive use of the stadium until they had completed their season. As the team moved to Shea under new ownership, they were, in most years, required to open the season with several road games, a problem made worse in 1969 and 1973 when the Mets had long playoff runs.

Feeling that this arrangement put the Jets at a disadvantage, the team announced in 1977 that they would play two home games a year during the month of September at the Giants' new home in New Jersey, Giants Stadium. Litigation began between New York City and the Jets over the issue, and in the lawsuit's settlement, the city agreed to allow the Jets to play two September home games a season at Shea beginning in 1978 for the remaining six years in the Jets' lease. In 1977, the Jets were to play one September game at Giants Stadium and an October 2 game at Shea.[34]

In spite of these issues, majority owner Leon Hess was interested in renewing the team's lease at Shea, which was due to expire in 1983. Hess negotiated with New York mayor Ed Koch.[35] Hess wanted the city to redevelop the stadium to expand its capacity. He also hoped to renegotiate other aspects of the lease—the Jets received no money from ticketholders parking at Shea. Hess's proposals met resistance from Koch.[35] When negotiations reached an impasse, the Jets announced their intention to depart for New Jersey.[35] On December 10, 1983 the Jets played their final game at Shea and lost to the Steelers 34–7.[33] As fans pillaged the stadium for mementos, the scoreboard read "N.J. Jets" in reference to the Jets's departure to the Meadowlands.[33]"

SAR I
    I got the hell out of there that day; what insanity.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Hey...you should know better; Koch got a helluva bounce from the increase in salaries at that time; but you are right: he knew what to do with (some) prosperity.

What's the festival/street fair in the upper east side @ 86th street? I shook his hand there in 1983.
    Steuben Day

Terrible mayor, let the Jets leave and Manes run amok.