Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jets will have only 3 unrestricted free agents in 2014

The Jets will have only 3 unrestricted free agents in 2014

So much has been reported about the Jets current cap situation. Irresponsible media reports have the jets at 30 million dollars over the cap. The figure is expected to be 19.4 million. When the new league year officially starts, The Jets are expected to be 12 million dollars under the cap once they officially cut Jason Smith,Eric Smith,Tim Tebow,Calvin Pace and Bart Scott. This off season, the Jets are going to have 12 unrestricted free agents on their roster. Technically 11 of them could be listed as starters from the 2012 season. Here is the 2013 unrestricted free agent list.

SS-Yeremiah Bell
    DL-Mike DeVito
    WR-Braylon Edwards
    K-Nick Folk
    RB-Shonn Greene
    FB-Lex Hilliard
    TE-Dustin Keller
    FS-Laron Landry
    RG-Brandon Moore
    WR-Chaz Schilens
    LG-Matt Slauson
    OLB-Bryan Thomas

The Jets are going to be hard pressed to re-sign more than just a few of these players if they even choose to. It would be great if the Jets could bring back Keller and Landry but that seems like a pipe dream. On the sentimental side, I want Braylon Edwards to return. The Jets are headed for a roster overhaul and they figure to get even younger than they already are.

This takes us to the original point of the thread. The Jets 2014 unrestricted free agent class. Only 3 names.

CB-Darrelle Revis, RB-Joe McKnight and G-Vladimir Ducasse

Obviously that first name is the key name in the group. The Jets figure to have much more cap room come the 2014 off season. Two major contracts that could come off the books next off season and create even more cap space are Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes. Sanchez's contract runs till 2017. Holmes till 2016. Both could be gone next off season. Another potential cap cut could be David Harris whose contract expires in 2015. The Jets will have the necessary cap room if need be to sign Darrelle Revis to a long term contract. If Revis gets traded, The Jets are going to have a lot of cap room come the 2014 off season. When you look at the makeup of the jets roster, only two players are locked in long term. Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson, both players contracts expire in 2018.

The figures and makeup of the Jets roster shows you that the Jets are not going to be in "cap hell" for years to come. This current off season is going to be a tough one to navigate and project. There is a lot of change coming. A roster overhaul with at least 5 players being released and 12 unrestricted free agents potentially not being brought back. It all looks like a potential re-build to me.

Hall Of Fame
    I think Idzik is going to be doing a lot of cutting/letting contracts expire in 2013. We should have a lot of cap room in 2014 but we will also have a lot of roster spots to fill. But if they make the right decisions we should make a quick turn around after this year which looks like it m that can compete in the future.

Thats funny, you said 3 names, but the only name I could read was Darelle Beavis.

Seriously, Ducasse and McStiff please dop not let the door hit you in the arse.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Thats funny, you said 3 names, but the only name I could read was Darelle Beavis.

Seriously, Ducasse and McStiff please dop not let the door hit you in the arse.
    I agree with you on Ducasse but he could be a starter this coming season with both starting guards leaving. It will be interesting to see what role if any, Joe McKnight will have in Marty Mornhinweg's offense. He was seriously under utilized last season by Tony Sparano. McKnight had practically 7 yards a carry albeit on a limited playing basis and was barely a factor in the passing game despite the fact that he may be the team's most explosive offensive player in space.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think Idzik is going to be doing a lot of cutting/letting contracts expire in 2013. We should have a lot of cap room in 2014 but we will also have a lot of roster spots to fill. But if they make the right decisions we should make a quick turn around after this year which looks like it m that can compete in the future.
    A lot of roster spots to fill for sure. A lot of young players becoming starters currently on the roster and a lot is going to be expected from the 2013 draft class. Guys may be thrown into the mix immediately. Much to the same way in Seattle, Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner started right out the gate. The Jets roster is going to get younger. That's how I prefer it. I don't want one year contract veteran band aid type players. The Jets need long term sustainable success.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    So much has been reported about the Jets current cap situation. Irresponsible media reports have the jets at 30 million dollars over the cap. The figure is expected to be 19.4 million. When the new league year officially starts, The Jets are expected to be 12 million dollars under the cap once they officially cut Jason Smith,Eric Smith,Tim Tebow,Calvin Pace and Bart Scott. This off season, the Jets are going to have 12 unrestricted free agents on their roster. Technically 11 of them could be listed as starters from the 2012 season. Here is the 2013 unrestricted free agent list.

SS-Yeremiah Bell
    DL-Mike DeVito
    WR-Braylon Edwards
    K-Nick Folk
    RB-Shonn Greene
    FB-Lex Hilliard
    TE-Dustin Keller
    FS-Laron Landry
    RG-Brandon Moore
    WR-Chaz Schilens
    LG-Matt Slauson
    OLB-Bryan Thomas

The Jets are going to be hard pressed to re-sign more than just a few of these players if they even choose to. It would be great if the Jets could bring back Keller and Landry but that seems like a pipe dream. On the sentimental side, I want Braylon Edwards to return. The Jets are headed for a roster overhaul and they figure to get even younger than they already are.

This takes us to the original point of the thread. The Jets 2014 unrestricted free agent class. Only 3 names.

CB-Darrelle Revis, RB-Joe McKnight and G-Vladimir Ducasse

Obviously that first name is the key name in the group. The Jets figure to have much more cap room come the 2014 off season. Two major contracts that could come off the books next off season and create even more cap space are Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes. Sanchez's contract runs till 2017. Holmes till 2016. Both could be gone next off season. Another potential cap cut could be David Harris whose contract expires in 2015. The Jets will have the necessary cap room if need be to sign Darrelle Revis to a long term contract. If Revis gets traded, The Jets are going to have a lot of cap room come the 2014 off season. When you look at the makeup of the jets roster, only two players are locked in long term. Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson, both players contracts expire in 2018.

The figures and makeup of the Jets roster shows you that the Jets are not going to be in "cap hell" for years to come. This current off season is going to be a tough one to navigate and project. There is a lot of change coming. A roster overhaul with at least 5 players being released and 12 unrestricted free agents potentially not being brought back. It all looks like a potential re-build to me.
    McKnight and Ducasse are both hot garbage. I wish the Jets would just cut to the chase and fire both of them RIGHT NOW. Seriously, wouldn't the team be much better off having guys that they are developing in those roster spots rather than guys we already know will NEVER work out for the team?

If there isn't any significant cap hit, I think they both should be cut right now.

Well if 1/2 of your starters are FA this year, the odds are the next year they wouldn't be many.

You could also look at it that the jets only have 1/2 dozen guys signed for 2014.

This is a one year mess the jets are in, most likely they will suck again next year with the result that they will have back to back top ten picks, and loads of cap room to start off the 2014 season.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Well if 1/2 of your starters are FA this year, the odds are the next year they wouldn't be many.

You could also look at it that the jets only have 1/2 dozen guys signed for 2014.

This is a one year mess the jets are in, most likely they will suck again next year with the result that they will have back to back top ten picks, and loads of cap room to start off the 2014 season.
    I agree with you. From a technical standpoint, The half of the Jets starters only being under contract is true but if you look deeper into it. It's a tad misleading.

Jeremy Kerley is essentially a starter but he's not considered a returning starter. Quentin Coples is in line to replace Mike Devito another potential departing starter. The fullback, Lex Hilliard is a departing starter. He wouldn't have been the starter if Josh Baker hadn't have gotten injured. Nick Folk the kicker is a starter who is a free agent.

The rest of the group will need to be replaced potentially outside of the roster. You got both starting guards, both starting safeties, 3 starting linebackers and the starting running back. There's going to be a big shakeup on the roster even if players like Vlad Ducasse and Demario Davis step up to be starters in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    McKnight and Ducasse are both hot garbage. I wish the Jets would just cut to the chase and fire both of them RIGHT NOW. Seriously, wouldn't the team be much better off having guys that they are developing in those roster spots rather than guys we already know will NEVER work out for the team?

If there isn't any significant cap hit, I think they both should be cut right now.
    I disagree with McKnight. He deserves a shot with the new coaching staff. He's the Jets most explosive offensive player currently on the roster and averaged 6 yards a carry albeit in limited duty plus he's a pro bowl capable kick returner. He has roster value even as just a backup.

Ill never understand that mcknight hate.

Rookie year - minimal impact, which is not uncommon for a midround rookie RB

2nd year - makes the pro bowl as a KR, minimal impact as a RB as we had veteran 1st and 2nd string RBs

3rd year - The coaching mistakenly sticks with a slow, non-passing catching starting RB, and then both powell and mcknight get hurt. Mcknight goes on to average 6 yards a carry in limited playing time.

Why on earth would we cut someone like him? Sparano had absolutely no clue what to do on offense, and as soon as holmes went down and hill struggled, rather then continue throwing downfield to clyde gates, should have been using powell and mcknight together and getting them the ball on misdirections and screens.

Mcknight hasnt been perfect, but again, when a 4th round pick makes a probowl, and contributes on offense, in spite of atrocious playcalling, its a GOOD thing.

I agree with you. From a technical standpoint, The half of the Jets starters only being under contract is true but if you look deeper into it. It's a tad misleading.

Jeremy Kerley is essentially a starter but he's not considered a returning starter. Quentin Coples is in line to replace Mike Devito another potential departing starter. The fullback, Lex Hilliard is a departing starter. He wouldn't have been the starter if Josh Baker hadn't have gotten injured. Nick Folk the kicker is a starter who is a free agent.

The rest of the group will need to be replaced potentially outside of the roster. You got both starting guards, both starting safeties, 3 starting linebackers and the starting running back. There's going to be a big shakeup on the roster even if players like Vlad Ducasse and Demario Davis step up to be starters in 2013.
    Please include powell as the starter and an instant upgrade at RB over greene. Him, mcknight and a rookie 2-4th round pick will be more then adequate at the position.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

2nd year - makes the pro bowl as a KR, minimal impact as a RB as we had veteran 1st and 2nd string RBs

3rd year - The coaching mistakenly sticks with a slow, non-passing catching starting RB, and then both powell and mcknight get hurt. Mcknight goes on to average 6 yards a carry in limited playing time.

Why on earth would we cut someone like him? Sparano had absolutely no clue what to do on offense, and as soon as holmes went down and hill struggled, rather then continue throwing downfield to clyde gates, should have been using powell and mcknight together and getting them the ball on misdirections and screens.

Mcknight hasnt been perfect, but again, when a 4th round pick makes a probowl, and contributes on offense, in spite of atrocious playcalling, its a GOOD thing.
    He will never live down the barfing incident on his first day of practice. Letting mcknight go would be a big mistake, like you mentioned he did average 6 yards per carry last year (and was playing hurt at the end of the year and even played through an injury one game and made things worse) and he is still only 24. And even if he never contributes on offense, he has proven himself to be a great kick returner.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

That is the right way to look at it. As a 33 year ticket holder, give me a new, young Qb, a bunch of young, fast and hungry guys to root for, and I'll sit through a couple of "rebuilding" years. Idzik can get rid of 8-10 guys easily and the Jets won't be any worse off. If this is done the right way, the fans will buy into it. The question is, really, will Woody let Idzik do his job and keep Rex the hell away from him?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Do you realize he was drafted to be a RB? Honestly, do you realize that?

The guy is good at ONE thing and only one thing. If not for kick returns he would have been cut already.

He was given a FAIR and SQUARE shot at getting more playing time at the RB spot. He failed miserably. Bilal Powell won that competition. A player a year younger with far less league time.

You honestly think it's Rex Ryan's fault, that McKnight didn't get any RB time? Get real.

The fact is, he just ISN'T as good as Greene and Powell. That is a fact based on their very open competition in TC just last summer. He got fumbleitis in the preseason and it cost him. Should that come as any surprise to you? That you lose the competition because you have problems with ball security?

We needed this guy to step up in the depth chart by now and he hasn't been able to.

Moreover, what about TWO seasons in a row going into big games with our hated rivals the Patsies and giving up fumbles that cost us points? He's been a major reason why the Patsies have slaughtered us at home the past two seasons.

And it goes beyond just what I've stated. 3rd string RB's are expected to make an impact in more than one area. Based on a 53 man roster, you must get more than one task out of your 3rd string RB.

The Jets have not been able to get any significant contributions from McKnight as a RB. He's a one trick pony.

With a decent pick in the draft he could very easily be replaced.

The guy is good at ONE thing and only one thing. If not for kick returns he would have been cut already.

He was given a FAIR and SQUARE shot at getting more playing time at the RB spot. He failed miserably. Bilal Powell won that competition. A player a year younger with far less league time.

You honestly think it's Rex Ryan's fault, that McKnight didn't get any RB time? Get real.

The fact is, he just ISN'T as good as Greene and Powell. That is a fact based on their very open competition in TC just last summer. He got fumbleitis in the preseason and it cost him. Should that come as any surprise to you? That you lose the competition because you have problems with ball security?

We needed this guy to step up in the depth chart by now and he hasn't been able to.

Moreover, what about TWO seasons in a row going into big games with our hated rivals the Patsies and giving up fumbles that cost us points? He's been a major reason why the Patsies have slaughtered us at home the past two seasons.

And it goes beyond just what I've stated. 3rd string RB's are expected to make an impact in more than one area. Based on a 53 man roster, you must get more than one task out of your 3rd string RB.

The Jets have not been able to get any significant contributions from McKnight as a RB. He's a one trick pony.

Has mcknight done enough to win the backup job, no....and yes the fumbles killed him, i never said otherwise.

My point is look what you wrote above: McKnight IS contributing outside of the 3rd RB job, and doing it at a very high level.

If we picked mcknight in the 2nd round, then he would be expected to be a starter by now. But again, many 4th round picks dont even make the team or stay in the NFL over 3 years and the guy has been an outstanding KR for us.

As for the coaching, mcknights best skill is operating in space, he was not drafted to be a Between-the-Tackles RB, yet how many times have we thrown him the ball....17 times IN HIS CAREER. Sure, maybe he couldnt be trusted in 2010 or 2011, especially since we had LT, but what about last year when we had the entire WR corps wrecked? He had TWO TOTAL TARGETS all year....how is that possible? If that isnt the coaches fault then i dont know what is.

I see your points but I think you are too hard on Joe McKnight. You skinned him like you do those deers.lol

Joe McKnight deserves another chance at RB in my opinion and in Marty Mornhinweg's offense. He just might get it. From a roster value standpoint, I think Joe is an explosive athlete who has proven his worth as a pro bowl kick returner. McKnight was mis-used by Sparano last season. The Jets were last in the league in plays over 20 yards. Guess who was responsible for most of them. Yes, McKnight fumbled on thanksgiving but I remember him playing hurt for the Jets and performing well for the Jets against the Pats in New England when the Jets were battling for first place. A game they should have won. Ray Lucas called Joe a warrior after that game. Joe is worthy of a spot on the team in 2013. 2014, that remains to be seen.

We need starters/depth at LB/DL/S/OL and now you want to waste another draft pick in the hopes that this person can become what Mcknight already is? You realize that we don't have unlimited draft picks?

I see your points but I think you are too hard on Joe McKnight. You skinned him like you do those deers.lol

Joe McKnight deserves another chance at RB in my opinion and in Marty Mornhinweg's offense. He just might get it. From a roster value standpoint, I think Joe is an explosive athlete who has proven his worth as a pro bowl kick returner. McKnight was mis-used by Sparano last season. The Jets were last in the league in plays over 20 yards. Guess who was responsible for most of them. Yes, McKnight fumbled on thanksgiving but I remember him playing hurt for the Jets and performing well for the Jets against the Pats in New England when the Jets were battling for first place. A game they should have won. Ray Lucas called Joe a warrior after that game. Joe is worthy of a spot on the team in 2013. 2014, that remains to be seen.
    There is a general feeling on this board that every pick has to be a hit.

We traded Leon Washington for McKnight....so it begs the question, is Leon a failure as an NFL player too?

Guy has 473 career carries and 176 career catches....over 7 years. That is an avg of 67 carries and 25 catches season. Far from adrian peterson, but also a valuable 3rd string RB as he is an excellent KR.

Leon also makes a ton more money then mcknight, so that was technically excellent cap management as we got similar production at a lower price.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I honestly think you can make the argument that after Landry, Robert Malone might be our best UFA.

We've been searching for a good punter for over a decade now and this kid was consistent as hell last year.

I'll actually be pretty letdown if we let him walk.

Joe McKnight sucks. Plain and simple

He is a decent KR but fumbles too much.

buh bye...