Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: The Jets will have only 3 unrestricted free agents in 2014

  1. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Joe McKnight sucks. Plain and simple

    He is a decent KR but fumbles too much.

    buh bye...
    Or, of course, not plain and simple.

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,950
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post

    CB-Darrelle Revis, RB-Joe McKnight and G-Vladimir Ducasse

    Obviously that first name is the key name in the group. The Jets figure to have much more cap room come the 2014 off season. Two major contracts that could come off the books next off season and create even more cap space are Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes. Sanchez's contract runs till 2017. Holmes till 2016. Both could be gone next off season. Another potential cap cut could be David Harris whose contract expires in 2015. The Jets will have the necessary cap room if need be to sign Darrelle Revis to a long term contract. If Revis gets traded, The Jets are going to have a lot of cap room come the 2014 off season. When you look at the makeup of the jets roster, only two players are locked in long term. Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson, both players contracts expire in 2018.

    The figures and makeup of the Jets roster shows you that the Jets are not going to be in "cap hell" for years to come. This current off season is going to be a tough one to navigate and project. There is a lot of change coming. A roster overhaul with at least 5 players being released and 12 unrestricted free agents potentially not being brought back. It all looks like a potential re-build to me.
    Josh Baker, Nick Bellore, Ellis Lankster. Garrett McIntrye, and Konrad Reuland will all be RFA as well. I expect to see about 20 mil in cap space with with Sanchez, Pouha, Holmes, Cro, Tebow, and Harris who represent about anther 40 mil in cap we can easily get back. Even if they rework Harris's deal this year we still have a nice amount of movable money. Sad part is this time last year we where saying pretty much the same thing. Tanny mess up last year so bad it is stunning. I don't think we will be looking rebuild at all however. With a good draft we can actually keep the guys we drafted for a change. We can resign the FA we want back whom ever those may be. Make a run at Revis and extend guys like Ellis, Kerley, Wilk, and Wilson who would all be on there last year. If we draft right we can actually build a good sustaining team for a change. I do feel however this team is going to still make a run at Romo or Cutler at some point which just makes me sad.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think you are more right than wrong. i think the jets are going to retain and use guys like holmes and sanchez, cut the guys they can cut and then go low budget through the draft and fa's. the down side is guys like landry will go somewhere else, and the oline will need two guards and maybe a left tackle. losing 3 lb's won't help although maybe mcintyre and davis will be able to take over.

    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think Idzik is going to be doing a lot of cutting/letting contracts expire in 2013. We should have a lot of cap room in 2014 but we will also have a lot of roster spots to fill. But if they make the right decisions we should make a quick turn around after this year which looks like it m that can compete in the future.

  4. #24
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    330
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKnight is a top-5 NFL return man, a very good all-around special teams player (he's blocked punts) and a absolutely fine as running back depth at this point. On those strengths alone there is zero, zero, zero reason to even think about cutting him on a rookie deal. It's absurd. Re-signing him is a different question. Cutting him would be idiotic. You could get a 5th rounder for him, possibly even a 4th to a team desperate for a returner.

  5. #25
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    So much has been reported about the Jets current cap situation. Irresponsible media reports have the jets at 30 million dollars over the cap. The figure is expected to be 19.4 million. When the new league year officially starts, The Jets are expected to be 12 million dollars under the cap once they officially cut Jason Smith,Eric Smith,Tim Tebow,Calvin Pace and Bart Scott. This off season, the Jets are going to have 12 unrestricted free agents on their roster. Technically 11 of them could be listed as starters from the 2012 season. Here is the 2013 unrestricted free agent list.

    SS-Yeremiah Bell
    DL-Mike DeVito
    WR-Braylon Edwards
    K-Nick Folk
    RB-Shonn Greene
    FB-Lex Hilliard
    TE-Dustin Keller
    FS-Laron Landry
    RG-Brandon Moore
    WR-Chaz Schilens
    LG-Matt Slauson
    OLB-Bryan Thomas

    The Jets are going to be hard pressed to re-sign more than just a few of these players if they even choose to. It would be great if the Jets could bring back Keller and Landry but that seems like a pipe dream. On the sentimental side, I want Braylon Edwards to return. The Jets are headed for a roster overhaul and they figure to get even younger than they already are.

    This takes us to the original point of the thread. The Jets 2014 unrestricted free agent class. Only 3 names.

    CB-Darrelle Revis, RB-Joe McKnight and G-Vladimir Ducasse

    Obviously that first name is the key name in the group. The Jets figure to have much more cap room come the 2014 off season. Two major contracts that could come off the books next off season and create even more cap space are Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes. Sanchez's contract runs till 2017. Holmes till 2016. Both could be gone next off season. Another potential cap cut could be David Harris whose contract expires in 2015. The Jets will have the necessary cap room if need be to sign Darrelle Revis to a long term contract. If Revis gets traded, The Jets are going to have a lot of cap room come the 2014 off season. When you look at the makeup of the jets roster, only two players are locked in long term. Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson, both players contracts expire in 2018.

    The figures and makeup of the Jets roster shows you that the Jets are not going to be in "cap hell" for years to come. This current off season is going to be a tough one to navigate and project. There is a lot of change coming. A roster overhaul with at least 5 players being released and 12 unrestricted free agents potentially not being brought back. It all looks like a potential re-build to me.
    You forgot Antonio Cromartie, a $9.5M cap savings next year ($1.25M this year). Almost double the savings we get from Harris. Cromartie contract also expires in 2015.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 02-01-2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Typo

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Has mcknight done enough to win the backup job, no....and yes the fumbles killed him, i never said otherwise.

    My point is look what you wrote above: McKnight IS contributing outside of the 3rd RB job, and doing it at a very high level.

    If we picked mcknight in the 2nd round, then he would be expected to be a starter by now. But again, many 4th round picks dont even make the team or stay in the NFL over 3 years and the guy has been an outstanding KR for us.

    As for the coaching, mcknights best skill is operating in space, he was not drafted to be a Between-the-Tackles RB, yet how many times have we thrown him the ball....17 times IN HIS CAREER. Sure, maybe he couldnt be trusted in 2010 or 2011, especially since we had LT, but what about last year when we had the entire WR corps wrecked? He had TWO TOTAL TARGETS all year....how is that possible? If that isnt the coaches fault then i dont know what is.
    His ORIGINAL job, the job he was drafted for is the problem. He doesn't contribute sh*t in the running game. You call him an explosive player and he couldn't even display ANY of that explosiveness in an open TC competition for the 2ND running back spot. Not even the 1st, just the 2nd for crying out loud. And as I already said he's been hot garbage.

    So when you say things like I'll never understand the McKnight hatred or he's the most explosive player on offense, I have to question that.

    It's not hatred, just disappointment in McKnight. But I've already illustrated why the McKnight disappointment exists. It is for good reason.

    And the explosive player thing? Well, I haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about. Are talking about a couple of kick returns for touchdowns? Well, yeah that's all well and good. But his body of work OVERALL simply is not cutting it.

    You may remember we drafted Justin Miller as a CB. As it turned out, he SUCKED as a CB and was nothing but a liability in coverage. Yet, he was an EXCELLENT KO returner. He even made the pro bowl just like Joe McKnight. But in the end, he got cut. Why? Because he wasn't cutting it in the job he was specifically drafted for. You see any similarities between him and Joe McKnight?

  7. #27
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    I see your points but I think you are too hard on Joe McKnight. You skinned him like you do those deers.lol

    Joe McKnight deserves another chance at RB in my opinion and in Marty Mornhinweg's offense. He just might get it. From a roster value standpoint, I think Joe is an explosive athlete who has proven his worth as a pro bowl kick returner. McKnight was mis-used by Sparano last season. The Jets were last in the league in plays over 20 yards. Guess who was responsible for most of them. Yes, McKnight fumbled on thanksgiving but I remember him playing hurt for the Jets and performing well for the Jets against the Pats in New England when the Jets were battling for first place. A game they should have won. Ray Lucas called Joe a warrior after that game. Joe is worthy of a spot on the team in 2013. 2014, that remains to be seen.
    Well, he'll likely get that next chance as you say. The Jets cannot cut all of their dead weight due to cap implications, etc. I'll also support it as I would love to be wrong about McKnight.

    I just know that I am not wrong. Joe McKnight is a flop. If it wasn't for Mike Westhoff, he'd be another one of the biggest bum draft picks in NYJ history.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    We need starters/depth at LB/DL/S/OL and now you want to waste another draft pick in the hopes that this person can become what Mcknight already is? You realize that we don't have unlimited draft picks?
    And with picks in the 4th through the 7th round you expect to get starters at LB/DL/S/OL? I'm not going to say it isn't possible but HIGHLY unlikely. Now depth at the RB spot? Well, that's a distinct possibility. And it wouldn't take much of a draft pick to get more production than Joe McKnight.

    And yes, as I already posted, wouldn't it make more sense to get a young guy in that roster spot that has developmental potential, than to stick with a guy that we already know will not work out as a RB? I think so.

    Especially when you consider a very good ST coach like Mike Westhoff can make a stiff like Joe McKnight a very hot commodity. He's the reason why McKnight has shown anything as a player is because of Westhoff. I also have other examples of my point:

    1)Justin Miller - Drafted as a CB and SUCKED. Westhoff made the kid a pro bowler for a season under his tutelage. Disappeared off the face of the earth after being cut by the NYJ.

    2) Brad Smith - Never really panned out as a WR. But Westhoff made him an excellent and hugely successful wildcat QB. Was a big part of the Jets runs to the AFC Championship in 2009 and 2010. Signed a big money deal with the Buffalo Bills after the 2010 season. Now? You barely hear a peep out of the guy.

    McKnight will also disappear into anonimity after he gets cut/traded by the NYJ.

  9. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,143
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we didn't resign any of our UFA's this year, I wouldn't shed any tears.

  10. #30
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    You forgot Antonio Cromartie, a $9.5M cap savings next year ($1.25M this year). Almost double the savings we get from Harris. Cromartie contract also expires in 2015.
    Cro is definitely one of the big names whose contract expires in 2015. Other players of note whose contracts expire in 2015. David Harris, Jeremy Kerley, Kyle Wilson and Sione Pouha.

    I am really just looking at these next two seasons specifically. 2013 and 2014.

  11. #31
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Especially when you consider a very good ST coach like Mike Westhoff can make a stiff like Joe McKnight a very hot commodity. He's the reason why McKnight has shown anything as a player is because of Westhoff. I also have other examples of my point:

    1)Justin Miller - Drafted as a CB and SUCKED. Westhoff made the kid a pro bowler for a season under his tutelage. Disappeared off the face of the earth after being cut by the NYJ.

    2) Brad Smith - Never really panned out as a WR. But Westhoff made him an excellent and hugely successful wildcat QB. Was a big part of the Jets runs to the AFC Championship in 2009 and 2010. Signed a big money deal with the Buffalo Bills after the 2010 season. Now? You barely hear a peep out of the guy.

    McKnight will also disappear into anonimity after he gets cut/traded by the NYJ.
    Westhoff was a great coach but he had nothing to do with making Brad Smith a "hugely successful wildcat QB". Westhoff had nothing to do with the Jets offense. Smith was a very good kick returner under Westhoff though.

  12. #32
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I honestly think you can make the argument that after Landry, Robert Malone might be our best UFA.

    We've been searching for a good punter for over a decade now and this kid was consistent as hell last year.

    I'll actually be pretty letdown if we let him walk.
    Last, I checked Robert Malone is not an unrestricted free agent this off season. The Jets have him under contract. Kiss Laron Landry goodbye however. If he ends up in Buffalo, It would not shock me at all.

  13. #33
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Cro is definitely one of the big names whose contract expires in 2015. Other players of note whose contracts expire in 2015. David Harris, Jeremy Kerley, Kyle Wilson and Sione Pouha.

    I am really just looking at these next two seasons specifically. 2013 and 2014.
    If we trade Cromartie this year, we pick up $1.25M this year. Next year his $9.5 cap savings is more than any Jet, including Sanchez. How can you ignore that?

    Cromartie will be gone by next year IMO.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 02-02-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Typo

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    That is the right way to look at it. As a 33 year ticket holder, give me a new, young Qb, a bunch of young, fast and hungry guys to root for, and I'll sit through a couple of "rebuilding" years. Idzik can get rid of 8-10 guys easily and the Jets won't be any worse off. If this is done the right way, the fans will buy into it. The question is, really, will Woody let Idzik do his job and keep Rex the hell away from him?
    This.

    I will sit through another 6-10 season next year for success in 2014 or 2015, as long as it's done the right way.

    However, not firing Rex puts this rebuilding project off on the wrong way side of things. That should be corrected next January.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    This.

    I will sit through another 6-10 season next year for success in 2014 or 2015, as long as it's done the right way.

    However, not firing Rex puts this rebuilding project off on the wrong way side of things. That should be corrected next January.
    Long time Jets fan only want to see a plan for the future, a team that plays hard & gets better as the season progresses instead of the other way like 2011 & 2012!
    I'm sick of these end of season free falls.
    Personally, though I don't like Holmes, I believe he will flourish in this new offense, Holmes was frustrated in 2011 with what we all know now is Mark Sanchez suckage.
    You keep diva receivers happy by getting them the ball & if the Jets can get a RB like Stephan or Lacy they could be decent.
    I'm totally not on board with fans that want Edwards back, we need to bring these young guys along in this new offense. I don't care about players that won't be here in 2015.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us