Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Rob Ryan and Jeff Garcia join the Jets?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Could Rob Ryan and Jeff Garcia join the Jets?

Rob Ryan's 5 minutes are up and he got the Rams defensive coordinator job only to decide mutually to part ways with Jeff Fisher and St. Louis. Only 2 coordinator positions remain in the league. Philly and New Orleans. If Rob doesn't get those jobs. Would he join his twin brother in New York and perhaps become the team's linebacker and assistant head coach. Two positions currently vacant because of Bob Sutton's departure. The media will be pulling for a Ryan brothers pairing with the Jets.

By now, every one has read the reports of Mark Sanchez reaching out to Jeff Garcia to bring him up to speed on new coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg's offense. It's deja vu as Sanchez did this last off season with former Jet, Chad Pennington to try and take a crash course on Tony Sparano's offense last off season. The Jets have already hired a quarterbacks coach in David Lee to replace fired coach Matt Cavanaugh. Lee is a coach that the Jets have wanted on their staff for a while now but would the Jets consider bringing in Jeff Garcia and having him with the team on a permanent basis to work with Mark Sanchez during the off season. Garcia could be an assistant coach. It's a scary thought for the anti-Sanchez crowd because it would mean that the Jets are going all in yet again on Mark Sanchez as their starter. I don't know if Jeff Garcia has any desire to be a coach although he has been working with and training quarterbacks. Garcia did make a comment in a recent article that he could be Sanchez's new Mark Brunell. Which tells me he wouldn't mind being with the Jets perhaps on the roster. The funny thing is that Jeff Garcia probably still wants to play and even at his advanced age could out play Mark Sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're going to need a bigger clown car.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Yes. What he said! +1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Rob Ryan's 5 minutes are up and he got the Rams defensive coordinator job only to decide mutually to part ways with Jeff Fisher and St. Louis. Only 2 coordinator positions remain in the league. Philly and New Orleans. If Rob doesn't get those jobs. Would he join his twin brother in New York and perhaps become the team's linebacker and assistant head coach. Two positions currently vacant because of Bob Sutton's departure. The media will be pulling for a Ryan brothers pairing with the Jets.

By now, every one has read the reports of Mark Sanchez reaching out to Jeff Garcia to bring him up to speed on new coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg's offense. It's deja vu as Sanchez did this last off season with former Jet, Chad Pennington to try and take a crash course on Tony Sparano's offense last off season. The Jets have already hired a quarterbacks coach in David Lee to replace fired coach Matt Cavanaugh. Lee is a coach that the Jets have wanted on their staff for a while now but would the Jets consider bringing in Jeff Garcia and having him with the team on a permanent basis to work with Mark Sanchez during the off season. Garcia could be an assistant coach. It's a scary thought for the anti-Sanchez crowd because it would mean that the Jets are going all in yet again on Mark Sanchez as their starter. I don't know if Jeff Garcia has any desire to be a coach although he has been working with and training quarterbacks. Garcia did make a comment in a recent article that he could be Sanchez's new Mark Brunell. Which tells me he wouldn't mind being with the Jets perhaps on the roster. The funny thing is that Jeff Garcia probably still wants to play and even at his advanced age could out play Mark Sanchez.
    At this point, I think he should hire his brother. Rob Ryan is a very good coordinator, his resume speaks for itself. It would be a shame to see him out of coaching this season. And at this point, I believe that is a possibility.

Rex should be willing to look out for his brother. Brothers do things like that for each other. Brothers tend to be like that when it comes to their own family.

Now, with Mike Pettine gone, I think the continuity is important. We can get that from either Dennis Thurman or Rob Ryan. Both of them know the Rex Ryan system of defense. And both of them on the CS is a win win.

Not to mention, Rex needs to really get involved with developing the offense. That's really where the Jets are in need.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    At this point, I think he should hire his brother. Rob Ryan is a very good coordinator, his resume speaks for itself. It would be a shame to see him out of coaching this season. And at this point, I believe that is a possibility.

Rex should be willing to look out for his brother. Brothers do things like that for each other. Brothers tend to be like that when it comes to their own family.

Now, with Mike Pettine gone, I think the continuity is important. We can get that from either Dennis Thurman or Rob Ryan. Both of them know the Rex Ryan system of defense. And both of them on the CS is a win win.

Not to mention, Rex needs to really get involved with developing the offense. That's really where the Jets are in need.
    Do we really need Rex more involved with the offense? That was the theme last offseason and we see how that turned out. I think the Jets need Rex to stay away from the offense and let Mornhenwig do his thing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea, take him away from the one thing he's good at so he can assert his influence on the thing he's wosrt at. Come on man!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex won't be so involved with the offense. It will be Marty's offense. Most accomplished Jets offensive coordinator in years since perhaps Dan Henning. I do take Rex at his word that he is going to influence the offense to be unpredictable and be more aggressive. That could mean going for it on 4th down like the Jets did in Rex's first season as head coach.

The circus thing aside. The 3 headed tandem of Rex Ryan, Rob Ryan and Dennis Thurman bodes really well for the health of the defense.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rob getting all of the attention. I am not shocked. No thoughts on Jeff Garcia lol

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Garcia did make a comment in a recent article that he could be Sanchez's new Mark Brunell. Which tells me he wouldn't mind being with the Jets perhaps on the roster. The funny thing is that Jeff Garcia probably still wants to play and even at his advanced age could out play Mark Sanchez.
    Garcia was on the FAN about 3 weeks ago selling himself HARD for this role.

A little uncomfortable to listen to.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No problem with the Jets hiring Rob. He is a good coordinatory and thinks like his brother. Perfect fit. It's not like other head coaches haven't hired siblings or sons (Kyle Shanahan).

As for Jeff Garcia, i have no problem bringing him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm indifferent about Rob joining the staff....doesn't matter to me either way.

No to Jeff Garcia. Mark doesn't need another babysitter. We need a vet QB who can win the job in an open competition. I wouldn't mind him being added to the CS in a consultant role.....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

At this point, I think he should hire his brother. Rob Ryan is a very good coordinator, his resume speaks for itself.

Yes! Finally we're on the same page.

The race to the bottom is all that matters. The lower we sink in the standings the better the draft picks, the quicker Rex Ryan is punted, and the sooner we can be ready to take the division in 2015 when Bill and Tom retire.

The only thing I could possibly add to your brilliant strategy is getting Holley Mangold in here as QB coach but I can let that go.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

If the Jets were to hire Garcia as a coach then league rules would prohibit him from working with Sanchez or any Jets player in the off season. The new CBA prohibits contact between coaches and players outside of the designated organized team activities.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    If the Jets were to hire Garcia as a coach then league rules would prohibit him from working with Sanchez or any Jets player in the off season. The new CBA prohibits contact between coaches and players outside of the designated organized team activities.
    Great point. Perhaps, The Jets could wait until organized team activities/training camp before officially adding Jeff Garcia to the staff. It would be a benefit to Mark to have Jeff with him in all the meeting rooms. That's why, I like the idea of Jeff Garcia being an assistant QB coach for all the QB's on the 2013 roster.
    Last edited by LeonM; 02-01-2013 at 10:37 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rob Ryan would be awful. No one wants work for their brother. You can't be objective with family.

Garcia, I don't see why he wouldn't be a good QB coach. I don't know if he can be or not, but he was a good QB who had to work really hard for everything he got.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Rob Ryan would be awful. No one wants work for their brother. You can't be objective with family.

Garcia, I don't see why he wouldn't be a good QB coach. I don't know if he can be or not, but he was a good QB who had to work really hard for everything he got.
    I agree, no intelligent successful head coach would hire a family member as an assistant coach in ANY Capacity:

Mike- Kyle Shanahan
    Jim Mora- Jim Mora Sr.

and then there is this:
    Bill Belichick and Steve Belichick

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick announced some new responsibilities for coaches Thursday and there is a notable addition to the staff in 2012 -- Belichick's son. and has been named a Patriots coaching assistant.

I am sure there are plenty more.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the concept but at the same time the idea of how it can all blow up, and knowing the Jets it will, concerns me.

letís say we bring in Rob, all works great for a while, let's say things are not performing as well as expected, where does the blame go, do you think Rex is going to call his brother out. letís say Rob does not like DT's plan, he is in Rex's ear at the dinner table talking sh!t. I just see a huge conflict here. If they can find a way to keep the conflicts out of the game it sounds like a good deal, I just know the Ryan's personalities and they are not about calm and peaceful.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    I like the concept but at the same time the idea of how it can all blow up, and knowing the Jets it will, concerns me.

letís say we bring in Rob, all works great for a while, let's say things are not performing as well as expected, where does the blame go, do you think Rex is going to call his brother out. letís say Rob does not like DT's plan, he is in Rex's ear at the dinner table talking sh!t. I just see a huge conflict here. If they can find a way to keep the conflicts out of the game it sounds like a good deal, I just know the Ryan's personalities and they are not about calm and peaceful.
    Again, Mike and Kyle Shanahan work together. As did the Mora's and it appears the Belichicks.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post

Or he could be more objective. I would fire an employee a lot quicker than a family member. Hard to say without having a real insight into how they get along beyond what we see on TV. Which seems pretty good.

He is a really good coordinator, you would think he has the ability to add something, no matter how the press thinks of that type of hire.

Or the sky is always falling, doom and gloom Jet trolls