Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Rob Ryan and Jeff Garcia join the Jets?

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I agree, no intelligent successful head coach would hire a family member as an assistant coach in ANY Capacity:

Mike- Kyle Shanahan
    Jim Mora- Jim Mora Sr.

and then there is this:
    Bill Belichick and Steve Belichick

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick announced some new responsibilities for coaches Thursday and there is a notable addition to the staff in 2012 -- Belichick's son. and has been named a Patriots coaching assistant.

I am sure there are plenty more.
    LOL, the kid basically cut game film for the players and ran coffee. Not even remotely comparable to those other examples.

I wouldn't have an issue with Rob coming aboard, his resume speaks for itself and I don't really get the 'fueling the circus' stuff considering positional coaches almost never speak to the media. You're hiring him to a position where he never has to talk to Cimini, Mehta, ect.

Garcia is done as a player, and as pointed out it would be counterproductive to name him as a coach. Nevermind, who knows if that's something Garcia would even want.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I agree, no intelligent successful head coach would hire a family member as an assistant coach in ANY Capacity:

Mike- Kyle Shanahan
    Jim Mora- Jim Mora Sr.

and then there is this:

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick announced some new responsibilities for coaches Thursday and there is a notable addition to the staff in 2012 -- Belichick's son. and has been named a Patriots coaching assistant.

Shula and his son worked together.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    LOL, the kid basically cut game film for the players and ran coffee. Not even remotely comparable to those other examples.
    Exactly how Bellichich started his career.

What does what their responsibilities are have to do with the fact that they could get along and do what they were hired to do?

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    And you think it will end there? Belichick will settle for his own son to be a glorified ball boy? What happens when he gets promoted? will it be because he was good or because he was daddy's little boy? At least with Rob, he has shown to be a successful DC and he would be OVER-qualified as LB coach. So yeah, the situations are not comparable. Much more justified to give Rob a job.

Veteran
    Again, Mike and Kyle Shanahan work together. As did the Mora's and it appears the Belichicks.
    Yes, but we are also talking about personalities that are night and day compared to the Ryan Brothers. I am not saying it can't work and if it does more power to the Jets, I am simply saying that they both have bigger than life personalities, it could be a ticking time bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Rob getting all of the attention. I am not shocked. No thoughts on Jeff Garcia lol
    I have a few thousand on his wife, Carmella DeCesare.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We're going to need a bigger clown car.
    LOL!

All Pro

Mike- Kyle Shanahan
    Jim Mora- Jim Mora Sr.

and then there is this:

Hiring your kid where you are the boss, I can see. I will offer my own kids a job at some point.

Hiring your twin (not even little, but twin) brother to work directly under you and as a subordinate to you, when you both have huge personalities is a bad idea.

I just don't see Rob coming here to work under Dennis Thurman, let alone his brother. He wants to run a defense, not be a subservient.

Garcia, I don't care.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Do we really need Rex more involved with the offense? That was the theme last offseason and we see how that turned out. I think the Jets need Rex to stay away from the offense and let Mornhenwig do his thing.
    That's right. I heard 3 time SB winning HC Joe Gibbs this morning say when asked how do to contain guys like RGIII, answer I don't know I'm an Offense guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Would love to have them both, Garcia for sure. Rob, might make things uncomfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Do we really need Rex more involved with the offense? That was the theme last offseason and we see how that turned out. I think the Jets need Rex to stay away from the offense and let Mornhenwig do his thing.
    And you say that without any mention of Mike Tannenbaum? The NYJ had zero talent on offense, especially after Holmes went down. Yet, you want to blame that 100% on Rex Ryan? I think you are bing a little hard on the guy.

You can only work what you are given for talent. Rex Ryan was given ZERO, a fat f*cking donut in regards to offensive players in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Great idea, take him away from the one thing he's good at so he can assert his influence on the thing he's wosrt at. Come on man!
    Excuse me, can you answer one question for me....

Is he, or is he not our HEAD COACH?!

If you think the answer to that question is YES, then he absolutely should be getting involved in something he was never familiar with prior to becoming the HC of the NYJ. That is the HC's responsibility.

No to Rob Ryan, Rex is bad enough and I trust Rex more than Rob. Just look at why Jason Garrett said he fired Rob Ryan and the team Rob was with before the Cowboys hired him.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We're going to need a bigger clown car.
    +100

Whenever I hear Jeff Garcia speak I cannot believe he married such a hottie.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=jeff+garcia's+wife

I remember when Jeff Garcia was gay.

I guess he was cured...

Veteran
    No problem with the Jets hiring Rob. He is a good coordinatory and thinks like his brother. Perfect fit. It's not like other head coaches haven't hired siblings or sons (Kyle Shanahan).

As for Jeff Garcia, i have no problem bringing him.
    The Shannahans and the Belichicks are NOT the Ryan Twins. It would be bedlam if Rob came here.

And if he's fit and keen to join, I say bring Jeff in for TC and see what happens. Couldn't really hurt, but I doubt it would happen.

Jets Insider VIP
    Rob is definitely qualified, so I say sure. He'll work hard and Rex trusts his Bro.

They only negative is the media will have a field day with Press conferences etc when things aren't going well. I just don't trust the media especially with the open style we have in NY.