Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Believe it or not, looking at the Mets and Knicks gives me hope for the Jets...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not, looking at the Mets and Knicks gives me hope for the Jets...

People don't even think about it much anymore, but does anyone else remember how big of a circus the Mets were before Sandy Alderson got there? They were giving out stupid contracts to Oliver Perez, Luis Castillo, and Jason Bay. They were constantly lying about injuries. They were firing managers in the middle of the night on the West Coast. Their GM was accusing beat reporters of trying to steal his job. I know the Mets aren't going to be that good this year, but they're building a strong foundation and have 3 of the Top 30 prospects in baseball now.

The same thing with the Knicks. The owner was obsessed with Isiah Thomas who was accused of harassing female employees. They gave guys like Eddy Curry big contracts. It was a mess. But Donnie Walsh came in and cleaned house and gave the team a fresh start. Now they're one of the best teams in the conference with title aspirations.

I know things are crazy with the Jets right now. They do things that completely defy logic. But it's possible to leave all that behind and start acting like a real football organization. If Idzik does his job, things will be OK. Eventually...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The mets are a really bad example.That team doesnt even have a legit outfeilder yet they are still a joke of a team.I would feel alot better about the jets if we had a young legit qb but we dont.and until we do we will never be a great team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets are no where near as bad as the mets are. And I hope it don't take us almost a decade to become a good team like Knicks .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It all starts at the top...

I'm not a Mets fan so you guys can comment better then me on how they are trying to turn things around, but in the case of the Knicks, Donnie Walsh is the man! He took a crap roster with a bloated payroll and put us in a position 2 sign 2 max-level players in 2010. We were only able to sign Amare but then picked up Melo in a later trade. Donnie Walsh also gave the Knicks a nice gift before he left in drafting Iman Shumpert. Glen Grunwald the current GM has done a marvelous job in filling out the roster (signing Kidd, Camby, Felton, Novak ,J.R. Smith, etc) and we now have a contender.

Hopefully Idzik is the right guy to fix this roster, if the Jets are to become contenders it will be because of this guy's hard work.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mets are a poor team but they did make the WS in 2000. Won in 86 so not comparable. The Mets are not going anywhere for a while.
    The Knicks? Almost as bad as the Jets. Last won it in 1973. They are hardly a competitive team. And will not be a winner anytime soon. Will make the playoffs but Miami is there. And all the west teams.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    The Mets are a poor team but they did make the WS in 2000. Won in 86 so not comparable. The Mets are not going anywhere for a while.
    The Knicks? Almost as bad as the Jets. Last won it in 1973. They are hardly a competitive team. And will not be a winner anytime soon. Will make the playoffs but Miami is there. And all the west teams.
    They are currently 2nd in the Eastern Conference and 2-0 against Miami so far....hate to get off topic but that statement is a little ludicrous for the current season.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    They are currently 2nd in the Eastern Conference and 2-0 against Miami so far....hate to get off topic but that statement is a little ludicrous for the current season.....
    WOW. They're #2. That sums it up. We're #2!! The Nets have done better in the last 20 years.
    GOING NOWHERE. JUST LIKE THE METS and Jets.

You really think they are going to do in Miami? Reality check time.
    Miami has had injuries. 1973. They are going to beat the Rangers record for NY.
    Plus they are older than dirt - guys pushing 40. Breakdown time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the mets have the best FO in NY, and its not close.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW. They're #2. That sums it up. We're #2!! The Nets have done better in the last 20 years.

what does the Nets 20 year record, or the Miami injuries have with them being "hardly competitive"? u sound like a retard.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL I never said they were gonna win the NBA title this season. My point was that being a top 5 team in the NBA is not "hardly competitive" as you so eloquently put it.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    So what? They have no OF and the worst bullpen in baseball.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brol79 View Post
    The mets are a really bad example.That team doesnt even have a legit outfeilder yet they are still a joke of a team.I would feel alot better about the jets if we had a young legit qb but we dont.and until we do we will never be a great team.
    They have a bad outfield. But they're about to have a beast of a rotation, a great infield, and they've got lots of young arms in the bullpen...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    They have a bad outfield. But they're about to have a beast of a rotation, a great infield, and they've got lots of young arms in the bullpen...
    Don't waste your time arguing with the haters. The Mets have been a circus as the OP said but they are clearly moving in the right direction and will be able to trade minor league arms for major-league ready hitters very soon and put it all together. Possibly as soon as 2014. Unfortunately the NL East is going to be a beastly division for the next few years at least. Should be fun.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not even close to being true.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Not even close to being true.
    U don't think the mets have a better FO then the Yankees? Lol...that arod contract alone would sink any other organization not named Yankees, dodgers, and Angela.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could not find a facepalm big enough for this thread.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    U don't think the mets have a better FO then the Yankees? Lol...that arod contract alone would sink any other organization not named Yankees, dodgers, and Angela.
    No I don't, and the Giants are better too. Glen Grunwald did a really good job with the Knicks, setting them up with depth with little cap space to do so.

BTW. that A-Rod contract was given out by Hank Steinbrenner, who really doesn't have much say anymore. Hal Steinbrenner is the owner now, and Cashman has done a really nice job finding bargain players lately and has done a great job with finding arms for the pen. Hes strapped from making big signings since Hal has put out a budget to get under $189 mil by 2014.
    Last edited by k.Rhodes25; 02-01-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    No I don't, and the Giants are better too. Glen Grunwald did a really good job with the Knicks, setting them up with depth with little cap space to do so.
    If u say so...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like everyone completely missed the point.

The Mets and Knicks were circus franchises. They're not anymore. Period.

Just because the Jets are now, that doesn't mean they will be forever. Things will change.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish the Jets were #2 in the AFC. #2 in Conference is bad?

what does the Nets 20 year record, or the Miami injuries have with them being "hardly competitive"? u sound like a retard.
    Joe Flacco!