Post Thanks / Like

Jets starting WR's for 2013?

HILL & KERLEY maybe? idk???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holmes. Kerley. Hill. Those three for sure

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We'll draft one and go into next year with what we've got. Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Draftee, Gates. Royce Pollard may get a shot this season if he sticks around. Maybe throw in Braylon if he signs super cheap.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chaz Schilens has speed, height 6'4", weight 224lb, but never gets open. In the WCO he could workout if he learned to run a route or two with whoever is the QB. This will take TC and preseason to develop but it could happen.

He also needs to be healthy for this to happen. He always seems to be snake bit.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Chaz Schilens has speed, height 6'4", weight 224lb, but never gets open. In the WCO he could workout if he learned to run a route or two with whoever is the QB. This will take TC and preseason to develop but it could happen.

He also needs to be healthy for this to happen. He always seems to be snake bit.
    I forgot Jordan White too. I'm not really worried about receiver this year. It ain't pretty but it'll do. Shore up the D rebuild the base on O this year in the draft, and go crazy offensive playmakers in the draft and free agency in 14.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't be surprised, or upset, if we went WR at the top of the draft ... we need playmakers, and WR's take time to develop. So if we want to plan two / three years ahead - when Braylon will probably not be here, and Holmes could be cut too - then it makes sense. But only if the value is there (BAP).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been a Holmes basher, but when he puts his head into it, there aren't many better route runners in the league. Unfortunately, a lot of the times he's usually not into it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised, or upset, if we went WR at the top of the draft ... we need playmakers, and WR's take time to develop. So if we want to plan two / three years ahead - when Braylon will probably not be here, and Holmes could be cut too - then it makes sense. But only if the value is there (BAP).
    If we take a WR "to develop" with our first round pick, who exactly is going to play the 2 OLB spots and OG?

WR is the last position we need to address in this draft, at least in the top 3 rounds.

Again, and I know this is blasphemy on this board where every pick should be jerry rice, but Kerley is an EXCELLENT Player who put up very good numbers last year with no other help and the worst QB play in the league. Put him on pittsburgh and he would have 80 catches and 7+ TDs.

Between him holmes and hopefully Braylon that is a good top 3 and we have a developmental player in Hill.

Nows not the time for a WR

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Chaz Schilens has speed, height 6'4", weight 224lb, but never gets open.
    Kinda hard to get open from the trainer's room.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    holmes edwards kerley hill

schillens maybe
    gates maybe can he return kicks and punts?
    gilyard maybe
    white a bust it seems

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post

schillens maybe
    gilyard maybe
    white a bust it seems
    White was just anther one of our signature 6-7th rounders that we draft for practice squad guys maybe a good #4. I don't think you can call him a bust. I have confidence in our WRs. Holmes will be fine I'm not too worried about his injury. Like him or not he is a OK WR. Hill looked very good last year our POS of a QB just stopped throwing him the ball after week 5. Get a full camp out of him and a new QB he will have a shockingly good year just watch. Kerley is just as good as any WR we have started in the last 5 years. I have no problem with him at the 2 or 3 spot. Royce Pollard IF he can stay healthy does look very good as well. Bring in a late round WR and a few UDFA for camp but we look set at WR to me. Maybe add anther return guy if we play more 3 WR sets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    HILL & KERLEY maybe? idk???
    Does it matter? Mark cant him them anyway.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If we take a WR "to develop" with our first round pick, who exactly is going to play the 2 OLB spots and OG?

WR is the last position we need to address in this draft, at least in the top 3 rounds.

Again, and I know this is blasphemy on this board where every pick should be jerry rice, but Kerley is an EXCELLENT Player who put up very good numbers last year with no other help and the worst QB play in the league. Put him on pittsburgh and he would have 80 catches and 7+ TDs.

Between him holmes and hopefully Braylon that is a good top 3 and we have a developmental player in Hill.

I agree we may have bigger needs, but our WRs stink. Kerley is pretty good but he would not have had 80 catches on Pittsburgh. He would be a wr3 there at best, so definitely not 80 catches.

Holmes has huge talent but doesn't always try. And Hill can't catch....at least not yet.

A healthy Holmes who is trying, an improved Hill plus Kerley is a passable WR trio. But Holmes' effort and Hill's improvements are assumptions, and it's at least equally likely that we'll have below average WR talent again next year.

There's also the fact that our TE didn't even really play last year let alone the fact that he generally underperformed in years past. And I think we really miss a back who can catch. I think we should use McKnight like that more often or maybe even Powell. I also like Reuland a lot for some reason. We shall see

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

schillens maybe
    gilyard maybe
    white a bust it seems
    I hope you are right. Edwards just seems rejuvenated as a Jet and Holmes if healthy is still a dangerous weapon. The key is the continued development of Kerley and especially Hill. Schilens can be great insurance in case he struggles.

We don't need another wide receiver; (TE maybe, someone to compete with Rueland and Cumberland) we need our qb to be upright and accurate enough to connect with the ones we have. I think Gates could be a sleeper in the field position game as a returner and "gimmick" player in the WCO. His world class speed must be utilized somehow.

Now if there is a top talent staring us in the face and is the best talent on the board at that time, well than we take him, barring that, we don't need to draft a receiver that high, in my opinion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

But don't we always hear that what we lack is playmakers on offense? Sure, WR's aren't your only playmakers, but they're a large part of it - I'd much rather a WR in Rd 1 than a RB or TE.

And drafting for "now" is not the way to build a winning franchise, IMO - you draft quality players at impact positions when you can get them. I'm all for strengthening our OL, but at #9 I want more than a guard. OLB, sure, I'm fully on board with that. But we can get good guards later in the draft. Guards aren't playmakers. WR's are, and if we continue to ignore the position and assume Hill and Kerley will be enough, we'll still be looking for playmakers in the future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holmes and Edwards with Kerley in the slot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

schillens maybe
    gilyard maybe
    white a bust it seems
    Schilens is terrible. He needs to go away. Ditto for the scrubs Gilyard and White. No room for those clowns on a competitive football team.

Gates is the only of the scrap heap WR's we had last yr I'd even consider keeping around.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hill needs to take every single snap next year. Its all about being competetive in 2015. We need to find out if this guy can play.