Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Myth that the Jets are in Salary Cap Hell

What an amazing read. If any one is interested in pure facts. Just read the lengthy write up.

I just did a thread on here a few days ago about the Jets cap situation and roster makeup going into the 2014 off season. Jason here goes in depth as to why the Jets are not in "cap hell". Just facts is all.
    Last edited by LeonM; 02-03-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Like I've already seen through the press, I figure the Jets will cut the following players outright:

Jason Smith
    Eric Smith
    Bart Scott
    Calvin Pace

If Eric Smith and Calvin Pace were willing to come back to the team at lesser money then fine. As Jason said, we do need bodies for 2013. Bart Scott and Jason Smith should be getting the league minimum and not a penny more if they hope to stick with the team.

From there, I really have no idea what they should do next. I would think if there is ANYTHING that they can do to avoid paying Sanchez 8.25 million, they should on that immediately.

My feeling is that we are staring at another season with an incredible lack of talent on the team. We'll be lucky to win 9 games. But 2014 appears to be a year when when we can get back into FA acquisitions and start to field a much more competitive team.

Assuming John Idzik is able to hit the ball out of the park with the draft, we could easily be back in SB contention in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    bottom line overpaid players need to restructure to benefit the team.
    Absolutely. David Harris comes to mind. Don't get me wrong, I do not want to part ways with Harris, but the team should certainly approach him about taking a pay cut or at least restructure his deal to give us some cap room in the short term.

The Jets still need to field a team in 2013. Everyone wants to call 2013 a lost proposition, but like I said, we still need to field a team.

If guys like Harris and others would be willing to give the team some badly needed cap relief, it's possible we could even sneak into the playoffs. I don't hold out any hope for us getting to the SB, but at least during this transition period, the team would still remain competitive and give the fans something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Exactly what incentive is there for players to restructure?

And the Jets are in no position to extend contracts and guarantee upfront money.

That's how they got into the mess they are in today.
    Ugh? How about in order for them to keep their jobs? There's no f*cking way any of the supposed cuts tomorrow would be able to get anything even close to the money the Jets currently have them under contract for.

The Jets play hard ball with them. Take a pay cut or we will cut you right now. If you agree to take a paycut, you could still remain with the team and possibly even get into the playoffs in 2013.

I'm not saying playoffs in 2013 is a realistic expectation, it isn't, but it certainly is possible.

If the overpaid veterans are willing to help the team out, those playoff hopes look even more realistic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Can you read? I was just stating the only way to be able keep landry is by trading one of those two because we cant tie up big money to three dbs. There is no way we will keep all 3. Id rather trade cro resign landry and revis.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I rather have Cro than Landry. Revis and Cro and draft a safety.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

If the overpaid veterans are willing to help the team out, those playoff hopes look even more realistic.
    Do you believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny as well?

Do you believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny as well?
    This plan that Jason laid out is great,

IF the Jets followed it.

Now,......what are the chances of that happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason423 View Post
    But there is a cap benefit to cutting Holmes. The immediate cap help is $1 million. The Jets also receive offsets for salary received by a new team. So what would happen with Holmes (assuming he is not a June 1 cut) is that all his money accelerates when he is cut. Of that money $7.75 million is in the form of guaranteed salary. When he signs with another team for the $2 million the Jets receive that $2 million in both cash (assuming they paid Holmes within 30 days of the cut) and cap relief making the total savings $3 million.

This is why I am saying that $11 million salary is worthless. He has no avenue to earn it anywhere because it would require a team, either the Jets or another club, to pay him $11 million in salary in 2013. There is zero percent chance of that happening.

So again I would ask if you cut Holmes today would he receive a salary from a team in 2013 and then a non-guranteed salary of $9.5 million in 2014 from that same team? I dont think any team would do that. Now maybe hed be happy to go play in New England on a 1 year contract and hope he puts up numbers to get a big deal in free agency next season, but thats the only reason why he would refuse a paycut. He isnt going to earn more on a contract he signs this year than if he sticks with the Jets.
    He has a snowball's chance in hell in getting any 2014 money from the jets unless it is in the form a guarantee. he may as well be blind if the jets dangle that carrot in front of him.

He is having his 2nd surgery this month and will begin rehab in april. The most optimistic time frame is 3 months after starting rehab, however since the extent of his injury is so severe (2 surguries vs MJD's none) I would think that 6 months before he can start working out nfl wise. So to think that he is going to resign with another team within 30 days to get the offset is far fetched.

Some team could sign him in August to a 1 or two year deal and place him on PUP fro the first 10 weeks, he would then re-enter FA in or have a shot to earn a incentive contract in 2014.

I don't know what the rules are regarding cutting players that are rehabbing so I dont know how much of a injury settlement (which counts on the cap) they will have to give him if he agrees to be cut before his injury is healed, and the jets would still need to replace him on the roster which will count at vet min.

I admire you dedication in maintaining cap pages for the AFC east, and want to thank you..
    Last edited by patman; 02-03-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Banned
    Ugh? How about in order for them to keep their jobs? There's no f*cking way any of the supposed cuts tomorrow would be able to get anything even close to the money the Jets currently have them under contract for.

The Jets play hard ball with them. Take a pay cut or we will cut you right now. If you agree to take a paycut, you could still remain with the team and possibly even get into the playoffs in 2013.

I'm not saying playoffs in 2013 is a realistic expectation, it isn't, but it certainly is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    This plan that Jason laid out is great,

IF the Jets followed it.

Now,......what are the chances of that happening?
    Will Sanchez restructure?

Will Harris restructure? He's the most overpaid/overrated ILB in the NFL.

Will Revis, Cromartie and Landry give the Jets a "hometown discount"?

All Pro

99% of players these days dont give home town discounts, thats not exclusive to the Jets due to the mediocre season last year. Its the NFL.

He is not overrated, but considering he is an inside linebacker and not an outside pass rusher, he is overpaid.

What jobs are in danger? Harris's money is guaranteed, he took the guaranteed money instead of an upfront bonus and now you expect him to give up his guaranteed money?

Likewise with Holmes he took the guarantees later in his deal to allow for maximum cap flexibility for the jets his first two years of the deal.

Even Jason in his article says that there is nothing concrete in it for the players.

Play hardball with Holmes and Harris and they will still put more money in thier pocket this year than under the scenario that jason laid out.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    He is not overrated, but considering he is an inside linebacker and not an outside pass rusher, he is overpaid.
    It does not matter that he is overpaid, the money is guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    He has a snowball's chance in hell in getting any 2014 money from the jets unless it is in the form a guarantee. he may as well be blind if the jets dangle that carrot in front of him.

He is having his 2nd surgery this month and will begin rehab in april. The most optimistic time frame is 3 months after starting rehab, however since the extent of his injury is so severe (2 surguries vs MJD's none) I would think that 6 months before he can start working out nfl wise. So to think that he is going to resign with another team within 30 days to get the offset is far fetched.

Some team could sign him in August to a 1 or two year deal and place him on PUP fro the first 10 weeks, he would then re-enter FA in or have a shot to earn a incentive contract in 2014.

I don't know what the rules are regarding cutting players that are rehabbing so I dont know how much of a injury settlement (which counts on the cap) they will have to give him if he agrees to be cut before his injury is healed, and the jets would still need to replace him on the roster which will count at vet min.

I admire you dedication in maintaining cap pages for the AFC east, and want to thank you..
    I think you also have to take into account ego to some extent. Tone is not rational like you. Given that scenario he may think it is eminently possible that he proves himself this year and gets that 9 mill.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I think you also have to take into account ego to some extent. Tone is not rational like you. Given that scenario he may think it is eminently possible that he proves himself this year and gets that 9 mill.
    And his agent who gets 3-4 percent of the 11 mill dollars (or 7.75 guar) will tell him what?

Also, remember the agent gets to double dip again if he signs again next year somewhere else. If he pushes 4 mill to next year in incentives that he most likely will not earn his agent, (on whom holmes should perform a homosexual act for getting him this contract) any money on that 4 mill .

Plus you have to remember he may not be able to go until mid October, with only 10 games left in the season his chance to get those incentives are very remote.

Hey, the pats have 18 mill in cap room and most likely will lose 2 of Volmer, Welker or Talib. And I am not in favor of reworking the contracts of Manikins, Brady or Wilfork to get the other two signed.
    Last edited by patman; 02-03-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I rather have Cro than Landry. Revis and Cro and draft a safety.
    Dont disagree I just love the way landry plays...

Stop being a troll, Mike.

Like I already said, Jason Smith, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, and Eric Smith are as good as gone. That puts us under the cap.

From there, you are asking players who have not performed up to their contract numbers to take a paycut and give the team some cap relief. If they say no, you cut them, pure and simple.

All you are doing by cutting them is getting rid of overpaid players.

You need to stay away from players with guaranteed salaries, but even then they could ask them to redo their contracts to give the team relief right now. No change in the value of the contract just cap relief for the team right now.

The others with salaries that are nor guaranteed? You play hard ball. Just like Mike Tannenbaum did with Chad Pennington before the 2006 season, take a paycut or you will be cut. It will be hard, and it will certainly cost in some areas, but the team is better off in the long term.

I wouldn't expect Sanchez to do it. He knows his days in the league are numbered, so he'll likely be a cheap little jerk. Some others may play the cheap game. But others WILL be willing to give back some money in order to stick with the team.

JetsInsider.com Legend

I wouldn't expect Sanchez to do it. He knows his days in the league are numbered, so he'll likely be a cheap little jerk. Some others may play the cheap game. But others WILL be willing to give back some money in order to stick with the team.
    You live in a fantasy world. Why in the world would Sanchez give the Jets one penny back? The cheap game? It's not the players job to help out a team who can't handle their cap. These guys have a few years to make what they can.

Stop being a troll, Mike.

Like I already said, Jason Smith, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, and Eric Smith are as good as gone. That puts us under the cap.

From there, you are asking players who have not performed up to their contract numbers to take a paycut and give the team some cap relief. If they say no, you cut them, pure and simple.

All you are doing by cutting them is getting rid of overpaid players.

You need to stay away from players with guaranteed salaries, but even then they could ask them to redo their contracts to give the team relief right now. No change in the value of the contract just cap relief for the team right now.

The others with salaries that are nor guaranteed? You play hard ball. Just like Mike Tannenbaum did with Chad Pennington before the 2006 season, take a paycut or you will be cut. It will be hard, and it will certainly cost in some areas, but the team is better off in the long term.

What players are you going to ask to cut? Both harris and holmes took deals with little SB as the jets gave them guarantees to make up for it. They did it so they would be little if any SB amortization so the jets could field a stronger team. Now when it comes time to pay the guys thier money you want them to take a cut. How does that make the players cheap?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Dont disagree I just love the way landry plays...

I like the big hits that Landry brings on D but Cro is a Jet for a few years now and has shown some leadership. He also has volunteered to play special teams and WR. You don't trade a guy that stepped it up while Revis was injured.