Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clyde Gates

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Why all the hate on this guy? I would like to keep him around. He can flat out fly and had a few good plays this year. That catch against SD was awesome. He is a good project to have around as a number four.
    Holmes - (short) OR DRAFT PIC like HOPKINS or Quinton PATTON
    Hill - (TALL)
    Kerley - (short)
    Edwards - (TALL)
    Gates - (short)
    Schilens - (TALL)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why all the hate on this guy? I would like to keep him around. He can flat out fly and had a few good plays this year. That catch against SD was awesome. He is a good project to have around as a number four.
    I thought this guy was a steal with some of the catches we saw out of him in his 1st few games. When given a shot to play more he didn't look very good thou. Worth bringing in to camp but I'm not ready to say give him a roster spot just yet. He was Spars guy but might actually be a better fit for our new OC. He is at least a better option then some washed up guy like Edwards IMO.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm for letting him compete for 4/5th slot and KR/PR duties if and only if the Jets trade McKnight (which I'd be in favor of if they got more than a bag of footballs).

I still think Joe McKnight is the poor man's Percy Harvin and should be split out half the time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone that looked at the All22 this year knows that Gates needs to be off of this team ASAP. He has to be one of the worst route-runners in the entire league. He drifts 3 yards on every out pattern and turns every dig into a deep slant.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clyde Gates is dead wood. Hill, Kerley and Braylon are the only WR's who should be brought back next year. Need to cut or trade the Cancer Punktone and his contract, then sign a FA WR at a fair price. I like Wallace, should fit in well here and won't break the bank.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im all for developing young talent, but Gates barely falls into that category. He should be allowed to compete for a spot in camp, but he was atrocious last year and has very little feel for coverage or the nuances of being a WR.

What kills me is that we kept a player like him, and let jordan shipley sit on waivers until Jacksonville signed him and he had 5 catches a game for them down the stretch and is a punt returner. Shipley is the exact opposite of gates - doesnt have elite measurables but understands how to get open and make catches. Wish we had him here.

Speed is great if you have a clue about how to play your position....I dont see Gates as having the ability to develop that skill set.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    That catch against SD was awesome.
    That pass was thrown by Jeremy Kerley, FYI. Can you think of any other big play he made? Unless we plan on converting Kerley to a QB (not a terrible idea considering the options we have under contract), he's expendable just like 75% of the current roster.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy is a comet but a one trick pony for all his speed. Runs lazy indisciplined routes not good in a WCO...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a 4th receiver. Better than the rest of the crap we put out there at the WR position last season but not saying much.