Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Clyde Gates

  1. #1

    Clyde Gates

    Why all the hate on this guy? I would like to keep him around. He can flat out fly and had a few good plays this year. That catch against SD was awesome. He is a good project to have around as a number four.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Why all the hate on this guy? I would like to keep him around. He can flat out fly and had a few good plays this year. That catch against SD was awesome. He is a good project to have around as a number four.
    nope

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,207
    He is not a good route runner and for as bad as Sanchez was, Gates was responsible for a few INTs. In a WCO you need WRs who can run crisp routes, which probably means the end of him as a Jet.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,900
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    He is not a good route runner and for as bad as Sanchez was, Gates was responsible for a few INTs. In a WCO you need WRs who can run crisp routes, which probably means the end of him as a Jet.
    This.

    Jagged glass makes sharper cuts than this guy.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Why all the hate on this guy? I would like to keep him around. He can flat out fly and had a few good plays this year. That catch against SD was awesome. He is a good project to have around as a number four.
    I agree with you. I think he is a little raw, but with some more seasoning he has the potential to be a playmaker.

  6. #6
    If Clyde Gates returns next year as your #4 WR, doesnt that leave you with the same receivers as this year? Holmes, Hill, & Kerley? This will not happen. Hill needs to earn the # 2 spot. Even if you bring Braylon back, this postion needs more talent and competition.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfanbc77 View Post
    If Clyde Gates returns next year as your #4 WR, doesnt that leave you with the same receivers as this year? Holmes, Hill, & Kerley? This will not happen. Hill needs to earn the # 2 spot. Even if you bring Braylon back, this postion needs more talent and competition.
    Normally a team keeps 5 receivers. In addition Gates can return punts and kickoffs.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    He is not a good route runner and for as bad as Sanchez was, Gates was responsible for a few INTs. In a WCO you need WRs who can run crisp routes, which probably means the end of him as a Jet.
    well said. He's going to have to really improve his route running to play in a WCO...His route running was brutal..He rounded out almost every route...

  9. #9
    I would also be concerned about his head injuries and future in the game...he must have had two concussions this year

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

  10. #10
    No. He sucks balls. He should be setting pins in a bowling alley.

  11. #11

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    He is a good project to have around as a number four.


    The problem is the Jets have too many "projects" they need bonafide players.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,369
    Is he the sopne of Bill Gates?

  13. #13
    Gates = Clowney

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,480
    Boy I swear fans have the least amount of patience than anybody on earth. The guy can return kicks and Punts (I think), while still developing as a receiver and has caught pretty much whatever he has got his hands on. He is probably one of the top 5 fastest players in the league and costs us almost nothing. And what do folks want to do? CUT HIM, HE IS A BUM.

    Maybe if the offense could stay on the field for more than 3 downs at a time, he might have a had better chance of developing. Personally I would like to see what he can bring with some COACHING, and a better more accurate QB (Matt Flynn anyone?) or maybe Sanchez shocks the world and actually responds to Garcia, Lee and Marty and becomes the QB he is capable of being. (NOT holding my breath but stranger things have happened...)

    Gates as our 4 or 5 receiver is the least of our problems..... Now he will have to compete for a job like everyone else, and if given a fair shot I think he will win a roster spot but that has yet to be seen. What I don't get is the rash to dump the guy; kind of reminds me of all the BILAL POWELL SUCKS posts of a year ago.

    CAN WE PLEASE GIVE OUR YOUNG PLAYERS WITH TALENT A CHANCE TO PLAY AND DEVELOP?

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Iron Throne
    Posts
    2,744
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I agree with you. I think he is a little raw, but with some more seasoning he has the potential to be a playmaker.
    With a little more seasoning, he will be salty - but JAG. He will never be special and needs to get the boot ASAP.

    With WR's, it should be up or out.

  16. #16
    Unless we take a receiver in the first 3-4 rounds, I wouldn't mind keeping Gates around as our #5 receiver and stashing Jordan White on the PS for another year, allowing White to be insurance in case of a long term Kerley injury.

    Yikes, next year is only his third year and he'll be 27 before the season starts. That's bizarre. I thought he'd be 24-25. That might change my mindset a bit. That being said, I still would prefer to keep White on the PS next year because he's pretty much only a slot guy and we already have a good one on the roster.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    Boy I swear fans have the least amount of patience than anybody on earth. The guy can return kicks and Punts (I think), while still developing as a receiver and has caught pretty much whatever he has got his hands on. He is probably one of the top 5 fastest players in the league and costs us almost nothing. And what do folks want to do? CUT HIM, HE IS A BUM.

    Maybe if the offense could stay on the field for more than 3 downs at a time, he might have a had better chance of developing. Personally I would like to see what he can bring with some COACHING, and a better more accurate QB (Matt Flynn anyone?) or maybe Sanchez shocks the world and actually responds to Garcia, Lee and Marty and becomes the QB he is capable of being. (NOT holding my breath but stranger things have happened...)

    Gates as our 4 or 5 receiver is the least of our problems..... Now he will have to compete for a job like everyone else, and if given a fair shot I think he will win a roster spot but that has yet to be seen. What I don't get is the rash to dump the guy; kind of reminds me of all the BILAL POWELL SUCKS posts of a year ago.

    CAN WE PLEASE GIVE OUR YOUNG PLAYERS WITH TALENT A CHANCE TO PLAY AND DEVELOP?
    It's not like he was a rookie last year. He just is not good or big enough to be an effective receiver, otherwise his world class speed would have already helped him to make some more plays.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Normally a team keeps 5 receivers. In addition Gates can return punts and kickoffs.
    w have "fair catch" kerley we dont need gates.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    It's not like he was a rookie last year. He just is not good or big enough to be an effective receiver, otherwise his world class speed would have already helped him to make some more plays.
    No he was a rookie THE YEAR BEFORE and didn't get that many snap. He was waived in preseason by the NEW coaching staff with the idea of bringing him back if he cleared, but the Jets jumped and claimed him.

    I am not saying he is going to be all world but I would like to see what Marty and the other offensive coachs can do with him. Remember he was drafted by Sparano in Miami who probably recommended him to be picked up off waivers.

    Irony is Sparano was a lousy offensive coach, Morningweg isn't. Gates could develop into a valuable contributor under him. Perhaps not but I am interested to see what happens in camp and beyond.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    It's not like he was a rookie last year. He just is not good or big enough to be an effective receiver, otherwise his world class speed would have already helped him to make some more plays.
    It was only his 2nd year. Not big enough? He's bigger than Kerley.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us