Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Idzik - " Play Like a Jet "

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Why should it bother us? did it bother us during the 2009 and 2010 seasons? It's supposed to bother us after an 8-8 and a 6-10 season?? are some of you on some sort of a negative drug where every damn thing a person does has to be negative?? He said play like a Jet....so what????

Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    Why does Idzik using Rex's catchphrase not bother anyone ?...this is a new GM with hopefully his own ideas and thoughts on how to BUILD and run a team...on his first day uses the catchphrase of the lame duck head coach....just seems to me that a strong exec who is his own person would not even dream of using that phrase...for example, let's just say the Jets were able to land Polian...you think in a million years in his introductory press conference he would have uttered the words "Play Like a Jet "...no chance ....this to me has red flags written all over it.....

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Why should it bother us? did it bother us during the 2009 and 2010 seasons? It's supposed to bother us after an 8-8 and a 6-10 season?? are some of you on some sort of a negative drug where every damn thing a person does has to be negative?? He said play like a Jet....so what????
    Sometimes we have nothing better to do than to dissect the insignificant minutiae of trivial conversation pieces to fill that giant void that seems unattainable.

Idzik was just doing Lenny Kravitz a solid as sales have been lagging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBELStGb5Do

Why does Idzik using Rex's catchphrase not bother anyone ?...this is a new GM with hopefully his own ideas and thoughts on how to BUILD and run a team...on his first day uses the catchphrase of the lame duck head coach....just seems to me that a strong exec who is his own person would not even dream of using that phrase...for example, let's just say the Jets were able to land Polian...you think in a million years in his introductory press conference he would have uttered the words "Play Like a Jet "...no chance ....this to me has red flags written all over it.....
    Because Idzik works for Rex.

Maybe Woody told Rex when he first hired them that the team lost its sense of history, played with no pride, and played for the number and name on the back vs. the logo on the helment. Whether Woody coined the phrase, or Rex did out of his excitement to try and instill some enthusiasm about playing for the Jets, its a great sentiment. "Play Like a Jet": we may get out-played on the talent side, but we'll never be out-worked and you'll know you've been in the fight of your life. I think that approach helped them play over their heads at times for the first few years of Rex's tenure. While the team has lost some of that, its time to get it back, and make it a permanent part of the culture, not just a passing fad.

I'm sure Idzik loves the idea of establishing a high level of pride and accountability, and he as a ready-made mantra to help him get that point across. "Play Like a Jet"....What's so terrible about that?

Why does Idzik using Rex's catchphrase not bother anyone?
    Because "Play Like a Jet" is a PR Marketing Term, nothing more, nothing less. A phrase meant to inspire some minor team pride, nothing more.

Because him saying "Play Like a Jet" has nothing whatsoever to do with how he'll operate as a GM. Do you think ifa player about to be cut says "but I play like a Jet" he'll be spared?

Because caring what PR fluff a new GM says at an introductory presser is the heights of overreation and hysteria. Judge on what he does, not what he says, just like Coaches and Players. Results talk, bull**** walks.

Always good to see the Francessa position regurgitated on the board tho, thanks.

Look there are no guarantees here but Idzik is football lifer with an extremely high IQ.

I'm excited by the hope that we may have found a person who can set our franchise on the correct long term path.

Let's try to stay positive here as we will soon start to see some personnel moves. Who knows, this guy might be a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    Look there are no guarantees here but Idzik is football lifer with an extremely high IQ.

I'm excited by the hope that we may have found a person who can set our franchise on the correct long term path.

Let's try to stay positive here as we will soon start to see some personnel moves. Who knows, this guy might be a winner!
    +1

Everyone is now dumber for reading this thread...

Jets Insider VIP
    Maybe, just maybe, the Jets organization wants "Play Like a Jet" to transcend Rex so that when it's used it's not merely being tied to the HC. That way, such a notion lives beyond the HC leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    A failed personnel team that has led the Jets to their most successful decade in their history
    Who are you, george steinbrenner, who used to boast that the yankees were the "winningest team of the 80s"? How'd that work out for him?

And oh by the way, if the jets are in such great shape thanks to this personnel dept, why fire their boss?

You people can't possibly be this naive...THAT PHRASE WAS COINED BY REX !!...not Woody...not the Jet PR dept....REX !!!!...and the problem I have is the new guy using a phrase that was started by Rex...the HC he may have to decide whether to keep next year or not...why attach yourself to Rex in anyway if that's the case !!??.....clearer now ??????

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yup, doomed as soon as he uttered those words.

Keen eye you have of evaluating and grading a GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Yup, doomed as soon as he uttered those words.

Keen eye you have of evaluating and grading a GM.

Yes, because calling out something as a potential "red flag" equals a full evaluation and grade.

There really is no gray area anymore on this board. Identifying any potential cause for concern means you are ripping the Jets. Love it.

You people can't possibly be this naive...THAT PHRASE WAS COINED BY REX !!...not Woody...not the Jet PR dept....REX !!!!...and the problem I have is the new guy using a phrase that was started by Rex...the HC he may have to decide whether to keep next year or not...why attach yourself to Rex in anyway if that's the case !!??.....clearer now ??????
    So just because he says a phrase that Rex has used means that the two are now bosom buddies?

Yep.

Gonna need more evidence than just a phrase.

And I'll say this: Why is it a bad thing? Joe Klecko was a Jet and he was a great player. So why wouldn't Idzik tell the media that we are going to play like him?
    Last edited by Eckesg1; 02-04-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Yes, because calling out something as a potential "red flag" equals a full evaluation and grade.

There really is no gray area anymore on this board. Identifying any potential cause for concern means you are ripping the Jets. Love it.
    It's not that. It's the repetition of it. There are about 500 threads with the same message underlying. "Rex sucks" "Woody sucks" "Sanchez sucks" blah blah blah

This is a "Rex sucks" thread at it's core, which has already been dealt with in this forum.

Also since NOBODY questioned him about it, it seems that nobody cares.