Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We need a Pro QB like this!

Quote Originally Posted by McElroid View Post
    All I know is I'll take KO over MS any day.

Back then it was the best of time and it was the worst of times.

These are just the worst of times.

Put Kenny O in Rex's QB killing G&P system and he would have taken 150 sacks/year. Sanchez might still stink but he's been handcuffed for 4 years. A passing QB in Rex's G&P is about as useless as giving a midget a yo-yo.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Put Kenny O in Rex's QB killing G&P system and he would have taken 150 sacks/year. Sanchez might still stink but he's been handcuffed for 4 years. A passing QB in Rex's G&P is about as useless as giving a midget a yo-yo.
    Just Shorten the string!

Rookie
    A passing attack going for the win,I miss this!

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-an...d-1fe655c011e9
    Last edited by jims jetts; 02-13-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jims jetts View Post
    A passing attack going for the win,I miss this!

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-an...d-1fe655c011e9
    Please list all the post-season wins led by O'Brien, with more offensive talent then Sanchez ever had.

BTW, in the era that O'Brien played, the only post season win came with Pat Ryan starting.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Please list all the post-season wins led by O'Brien, with more offensive talent then Sanchez ever had.

BTW, in the era that O'Brien played, the only post season win came with Pat Ryan starting.
    Don't be so negative!

Rookie
    Just throw the ball down the field!

http://youtu.be/5bwFfFOR_Kg

Don't be so negative!
    Don't be so delusional. O'Brien was average at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    +1

Rookie
    Who said O'Brien was great I think he was a good QB that blows Sanchez out of the water! Watch O'Brien throw the ball, thats what an NFL QB is suppose to look like!

Who said O'Brien was great I think he was a good QB that blows Sanchez out of the water! Watch O'Brien throw the ball, thats what an NFL QB is suppose to look like!
    If you want to prove a quarterback's competence, using Mark Sanchez as his litmus test isn't exactly the way to go. And yes, I watched O'Brien... A LOT. And I watched it within the context of entire games, not youtube cut-ups that could make the 1996 Jets look like world beaters. I watched O'Brien take sack. After sack. After sack. I watched O'Brien have the fear of God in his eyes when his receivers were covered and he had to take off and "scramble". And mostly, I watched loss, after loss, after loss, with Ken O'Brien at the helm. I'll give you that he could heave the pill, only problem is winning arm strength competitions in Hawaii ain't exactly the same as playoff wins and Super Bowls, you feel me?

Exactly...O'Brien threw tight spirals and could put a ball in the air 90 yards. Was so unfortunate that he didn't have Marino's or Brady's innate ability to slide in the pocket when feeling the rush (they had/have no wheels either).

Mark Sanchez looks like a CFL QB who will have to fight to make his CFL team....somehow he was drafted #5 in the 1st Rd. of an NFL Draft....by a Cursed Team.

For all the O'Brien guys, I asked this earlier, and no one answered so here goes again. If you are starting a franchise and you have to use a QB who was O'Brien's contemporary, and you can't pick Montana, Marino, nor Elway, are you gonna really pick him to start your franchise with? Below is a rudimentary list of all the QBs who were established starters during the years that O'Brien was the Jets established starter ('85-'91).

Bills - Kelly
    Colts - Trudeau / George
    Patriots - Grogan / Eason / Millen
    Browns - Kosar
    Bengals - Esiason
    Oilers - Moon
    Steelers - Mark Malone / Bubby Brister
    Seahawks - Krieg
    Chargers - Fouts / McMahon / Friesz
    Raiders - Plunkett / Jay Schroeder
    Chiefs - Blackledge / DeBerg
    Giants - Simms
    Redskins - Schroeder / Williams / Rypien
    Cowboys - Danny White / Aikman
    Cardinals - Lomax / Rosenbach / Tupa
    Eagles - Jaworski / Cunningham
    Bears - McMahon / Harbaugh
    Packers - Majkowski
    Lions - Hipple / Long / Peete
    Vikings - Kramer / Wilson / Gannon
    Bucs - Testaverde
    Rams - Everett
    Saints - Dave Wilson / Bobby Hebert
    Falcons - Dave Archer / Chris Miller

The bolded guys are my picks, and that's 14 QBs I'd rather start a franchise with than O'Brien. Heck, I can fill 4 team's QB depth charts before even considering O'Brien. A few guys I can't compare properly because although I do know their names, I don't remember seeing them (Archer, Lomax, Jaws), so there may be more. And when you look at the list of names left over once I've taken out my 14, there's a common thread: AVERAGE AT BEST.
    Last edited by Down, Set, Haiku; 02-15-2013 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Forgot Fouts!

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    O'Brien definitely had some great, great games.

It's a long time ago and looking back, I can't quite remember why he was never able to get over the hump personally or with the Jets.
    +1He had some awesome, awesome games, but our downfall was drafting him over Marino.

O'brien really was our savior for a while, mostly because of great surrounding talent ( Wesley Walker, Bruce Harper at times, Toon, Shuler, Freeman, he was stacked with talent.) I remember those great Jets v Dolphs games with Wesley Walker.

He was nervous in the pocket, and he would go down before being killed. there really was no protection for QB's in the 1980's and our lines weren't that great. He would get sacked a ton, instead of throwing away the ball.

Our defense back then was weak, and we'd always have to score a lot to win., which did not happen too often.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post
    +1He had some awesome, awesome games, but our downfall was drafting him over Marino.

O'brien really was our savior for a while, mostly because of great surrounding talent ( Wesley Walker, Bruce Harper at times, Toon, Shuler, Freeman, he was stacked with talent.) I remember those great Jets v Dolphs games with Wesley Walker.

He was nervous in the pocket, and he would go down before being killed. there really was no protection for QB's in the 1980's and our lines weren't that great. He would get sacked a ton, instead of throwing away the ball.

Our defense back then was weak, and we'd always have to score a lot to win., which did not happen too often.
    Our D wasn't that bad in the 80's with the sack exchange. OB's main problem was his inability to throw the ball away as you said.. Great arm but a really slow as molasses release.. Pat Ryan didn't have the problem he did and Freeman avg 4.5 ypc behind that line..

All Pro
    This passing combo works too!
    I'd gladly settle for Mickey Shuler at this point. Heck, I'd even take Johnny Hector!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    I always liked that helmet design.alot more green. Jets should change back to that design.
    Those uni's were horrible. Thank god Tuna changed them back.

Hid OLs were so bad. I would have liked to see him behind an average or better OL