Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We need a Pro QB like this!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    You people make me laugh how you re-invent history. Truth be known he had a great arm but was not a very good QB.
    Disagree Completely ... O'Brien on any other team would have been Marinoesque.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 The only Jet QB in history with no rushing td's.. Namath with braces on had 7.. Blame the line that Freeman avg 4.5 ypc behind, the truth was Kenny was a statue pigeons used to crap on because he took forever to get rid of the ball and never learned how to throw it away.. Guys with their feet in cement were more mobile but yes he had a great arm..
    Rushing TDs are over rated. They are no more important than passing TDs. O'Brien is probably the most 'talented' QB the Jets have ever possesed ... Namath was greater because of SB and lasting effect etc , but OB was amazingly talented.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Disagree Completely ... O'Brien on any other team would have been Marinoesque.
    You're crazy. Remember when O'Brien was on the one inch line and saw Louis Oliver coming from the back of the end zone and instead of an easy TD he froze and braced to get hit?

How about the time we needed to beat NE to make the playoffs and on fourth and goal from the three instead of running in for an easy TD he threw the ball away. Remember that too?

Or when he took 60+ sacks in 1985. Funny thing was when Ryan played that very same Oline looked good.

O'Brien threw a beautiful football, in a throwing contest I would take him in a second. As a QB he was mediocre at best with no football instincts.

And BTW there were years he had more talented teams then Marino. Walker & Toon at WR; Mickey Shuler at TE; and McNeil and Hecter in the Backfield. Sanchez would give his right nut for talent like that!
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 02-03-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Rushing TDs are over rated. They are no more important than passing TDs. O'Brien is probably the most 'talented' QB the Jets have ever possesed ... Namath was greater because of SB and lasting effect etc , but OB was amazingly talented.
    Ok Kenny had Toon,Walker and Shuler and had a career high of 25 tds passing. Sanchez sucks and he has a high of 26 not counting his 6 rushing tds.. I get it you grew up with KO but to say he was the most Talented Jet QB ever?? You must mean drafted because I think some may say Favre and Boomer were better and even Todd has a 25 td passing season.. Not to mention Vinny had 29 tds in 98..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Kenny had Toon,Walker and Shuler and had a career high of 25 tds passing. Sanchez sucks and he has a high of 26 not counting his 6 rushing tds.. I get it you grew up with KO but to say he was the most Talented Jet QB ever?? You must mean drafted because I think some may say Favre and Boomer were better and even Todd has a 25 td passing season.. Not to mention Vinny had 29 tds in 98..
    Great post and what I bolded is what I don't understand with some fans, i grew up with KOB and was a huge KOB fan as well, which is why I can look back now with a more mature mind and deduce that he was a big part of a garbage era in Jet football. As a child you're captivated by your sports heroes, you make endless justifications for them, and they can do no wrong, but as a man you should be able to look back more objectively cause simply put, you know more. At 6 years old pretty long bombs are the things of dreams, as a man you realize it's way, way more than that.

It's like that first piece of tail you get and at the time you have no idea how you can ever live without her. Then you grow up, move on, try different things, and voila, that first girl is just that, the first one, nothing more or less and chances are you've gotten bigger and better pieces of poon.

I'll leave with this query: If you take any football fan from that era and asked them they could start a franchise with any QB not named Montana, Elway, nor Marino, how many would jump up and pick Ken O'(freaking) Brien? Aside from biased Jet fans I'd bet at most 1% of those polled would choose OB. Hell, in a big game you can give me either Simms or Hostetler over our coveted statue (though over a season's course I'd take OB over the Hoss).

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Granted O'Brien was pretty good but remember we passed on Dan Marino when we took him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    he was one of the reasons i choose the jets over the giants when i was 10 who every other family mbr liked.

I always loved his passing alot better than simms, it just sux simms is the one with the ring but i think has alot to do with the way an organization is run.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jims jetts View Post
    A passing game that goes for the Win!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS3HBPALgkM
    suckchez can never do that it would have been a pick 6

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jims jetts View Post
    A passing game that goes for the Win!]
    Thank you for posting this. This team was my favorite growing up. I was 12 and remember that game. I also remember countless Sundays of my father chanting "Joe must go!" with the crowd...good times.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    2 words Joe Walton
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    O'Brien definitely had some great, great games.

It's a long time ago and looking back, I can't quite remember why he was never able to get over the hump personally or with the Jets.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know you have a terrible QB history when half of your fanbase is yearning for the days of Kenny O'Brien.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    he was one of the reasons i choose the jets over the giants when i was 10 who every other family mbr liked.

I always loved his passing alot better than simms, it just sux simms is the one with the ring but i think has alot to do with the way an organization is run.
    Also it has to do with a QB never winning a playoff game..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post

Uh... Simms only had the best SB ever to earn his ring. Big Blue D or not, the Giants win that game regardless of their D. Simms went out there and simply won that game. Kenny O' couldn't even hold the freaking fort in Cleveland.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    You know you have a terrible QB history when half of your fanbase is yearning for the days of Kenny O'Brien.
    Seriously

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LMAO!!!....I know! How soon we forget how his arm strength was never the same after the 1986 season. He was never more than just a solid decent QB. But in Jets history he's second to Namath....haha.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Ken O'Brien passing game was one of the best in Jets history just look at the all time Jets rankings! (O'Brien,Toon,Waker and Shuler all ranked high)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...ll-time/page/8

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Toon reminds me of Randy Moss. Maybe AJ Green.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok
    Kenny had Toon,Walker and Shuler and had a career high of 25 tds passing. Sanchez sucks and he has a high of 26 not counting his 6 rushing tds.. I get it you grew up with KO but to say he was the most Talented Jet QB ever?? You must mean drafted because I think some may say Favre and Boomer were better and even Todd has a 25 td passing season.. Not to mention Vinny had 29 tds in 98..
    Sanchez plays in an era when it's a crime to hit the QB ... Nough said. And you are correct ... I should have said drafted.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take Pat Ryan or Ken O'Brien over Sanchez!

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2011/11/27/t...l-november-27/

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I know is I'll take KO over MS any day.

Back then it was the best of time and it was the worst of times.

These are just the worst of times.