Post Thanks / Like
    glad Strahan and his tainted sack record didn't make it

that and his hideously lame TV attempt at being the "replacement Regis"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's about time. He deserves it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    warren Sapp? I was expecting Kyle Brady.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tuna and Carter. Nice.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    He restored order and pride to the Jets, resurrected our franchise in a single year, set us on the trajectory that lasted until 2010.

He had his flaws, but if you have to name a single Jet between Namath and 2013 who had the biggest impact on our franchise, Bill Parcells is that Jet.

SAR I
    Could not have said it better myself. I think some people forget just HOW BAD the Jets were and how much of a real joke we were. A couple of 2nd half fumbles against Denver cost us a super bowl after being 1-15 two years prior, thats a miracle.

If scumbag BB was a man of his word, Tuna was setting our organization to leave us with him as our head coach and the rest of that coaching staff which was all world. He really did everything he could for us. We were this close to winning a super bowl in 98 and then having BB as our head coach for the future...you can't hate a man for that, you can pick at his flaws yea, but I will never understand the Tuna hate

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...manning-peyton

Did Parcells fumble ball in dealing with Manning?

On the NFL
    March 09, 1997|By Vito Stellino | Vito Stellino,SUN STAFF

Bill Parcells, the coach, may have trouble winning for Bill Parcells, the general manager.

That's because Parcells didn't come off as a shrewd operator in the Peyton Manning affair, the first major situation he faced since joining the New York Jets.

When Manning's father, Archie, recently called Parcells, they played a version of don't ask-don't tell. Manning was too polite to ask Parcells if he would draft his son and keep him.

"There was an indication they really liked Peyton, and he seemed certain that Peyton would be the first pick, but I wasn't inclined to ask him in February if he was definitely going to take Peyton," Archie Manning said.

The surprising thing is that Parcells didn't tell him that he'd pick Manning and keep him.

"Archie called me one time, but it never got to a situation where we got to discussing it. I've known Archie quite a while. We spoke one time and that was it. I never really got into it too much about Peyton. We just talked about certain situations.

"I had no sense of what he was going to do and I wasn't trying to find out," Parcells said.

Parcells probably didn't want to promise Manning that he wouldn't trade him in case he got a blockbuster offer. But he risked Manning's not coming out, and that's what happened.

Manning obviously figured if there was a chance he'd get traded somewhere he didn't want to go, he'd stay in school and take his chances next year.

Of course, there's no guarantee Manning would have come out even if Parcells had promised not to trade him. But it was strange for Parcells not to even make a pitch for him.

"Quite frankly, I hadn't given it too much thought," Parcells said. "I'm too busy trying solve some of the other problems I have here right now."

It's hard to imagine what's more important than a shot at the decade's best quarterback prospect. It's not as if this draft is loaded with prospects. The next highest-rated player is left tackle Orlando Pace, but the last time an offensive lineman was taken with the first selection was in 1968, when the Minnesota Vikings picked Ron Yary.

Since Parcells likes defensive players, he may even bypass Pace -- who will work out for scouts Friday -- for Southern Cal defensive tackle Darrell Russell.

There's always the chance Parcells may get one more chance at Manning.

When Archie Manning called Parcells back last week to tell him Peyton was staying in school, Parcells told him, "Heck, we may have a chance at him next year."

Manning said, "No, you're not going to have the first pick."

Parcells replied, "You haven't seen our defense."

Moving down

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    warren Sapp? I was expecting Kyle Brady.
    Nice. Worst Jets draft memory for me by a mile. I was only 5 when they passed on Marino.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Senny View Post
    Could not have said it better myself. I think some people forget just HOW BAD the Jets were and how much of a real joke we were. A couple of 2nd half fumbles against Denver cost us a super bowl after being 1-15 two years prior, thats a miracle.

If scumbag BB was a man of his word, Tuna was setting our organization to leave us with him as our head coach and the rest of that coaching staff which was all world. He really did everything he could for us. We were this close to winning a super bowl in 98 and then having BB as our head coach for the future...you can't hate a man for that, you can pick at his flaws yea, but I will never understand the Tuna hate
    I agree 100%

People feel he let us down because he didn't win a SB but IMO to look at it from that perspective is live in FF land....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats to the Ginats and Giant Fans that their man is finally getting his due and being inshrined in the Hall of Fame.

You'll forgive me if I don't get teary eyed for his short time in Green, since one winning season in three, one AFCCG loss, leaving us in cap hell and handing the greatest Head Coach of the modern era to our rivals on a silver platter via his own personal mismanagement is not what I'd call HoF-worthy.

Just goes to show, it pays to follow the worst of the worst. Even your medicority and numerous mistakes looks great in comparison.

Good for Giants Fans tho.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats to Parcells and the rest for their deserving HOF selection.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    That wasn't the reason Parcells wouldn't guarantee that he would take Peyton with the first pick..
    Right on. He couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't trade the pick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fcuk parcells. I don't hate anyone in the NFL as much as him.

1- Changed our logo from awesome to inanimate "toilet bowl n' ball" design.

2- Decided randomly that our colour is no longer an attractive true green, it's a late 90's style forest green that is almost the colour of the Hudson river.

3- Passed on Peyton Manning.

This guy was the absolute worst thing to happen to the Jets in the last 20 years. To see some of you worship his sweaty ass makes me sick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Tuna. BP changed our uniforms, brought in Vinny T as QB. Both were great moves. Totally changed the culture around the Jets in 2 years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Parcells was carried into the HOF on the back of a Coke head and a cheater at Defensive coordinator. It's an insult to the truly great HC.

He was real good but not HOF quality.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Why didn't we draft Sapp again?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVKQPWOL6pc

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanNamath View Post
    Glad to see Parcells make it in his own lifetime. Pretty much symbolic of NFL success. If he doesn't get in, no coach deserves to be in.
    Pretty sure Lombardi, Noll, Stram, Walsh, Ewbank, Gibbs, Halas, Landry, Shula, and Brown would still deserve it without Parcells.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Oddly, Strahan was also a 7 time pro bowler and 4 time all pro.

Also had over 100 sacks (as a DE).

Not arguing with Sapp, just saying it was probably a close decision between those two.
    Wouldn't you say it's easier to get sacks as a DE then a DT ??

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Fcuk parcells. I don't hate anyone in the NFL as much as him.

1- Changed our logo from awesome to inanimate "toilet bowl n' ball" design.

2- Decided randomly that our colour is no longer an attractive true green, it's a late 90's style forest green that is almost the colour of the Hudson river.

3- Passed on Peyton Manning.

This guy was the absolute worst thing to happen to the Jets in the last 20 years. To see some of you worship his sweaty ass makes me sick.
    Don't blame him the previous administration headed by Kotite &Gutman gave a Neil O'Donnell a huge free agent QB contract the previous season.

Any Jets fan should be grateful to Parcells for the way he changed the culture of the franchise. My only regret was that he didn't stay longer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Congrats to the Ginats and Giant Fans that their man is finally getting his due and being inshrined in the Hall of Fame.

You'll forgive me if I don't get teary eyed for his short time in Green, since one winning season in three, one AFCCG loss, leaving us in cap hell and handing the greatest Head Coach of the modern era to our rivals on a silver platter via his own personal mismanagement is not what I'd call HoF-worthy.

Just goes to show, it pays to follow the worst of the worst. Even your medicority and numerous mistakes looks great in comparison.

Good for Giants Fans tho.
    He was 9-7,12-4 and 8-8 to me that's 2 winning and one ho hum.. If 9-7 isn't a winning season the Giants should not have won the Bowl in 2011..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He was 9-7,12-4 and 8-8 to me that's 2 winning and one ho hum.. If 9-7 isn't a winning season the Giants should not have won the Bowl in 2011..
    ...improving from 1-15 the previous season.

Also 1999 when the Jets finished 8-8 is considered by some his finest coaching achievement.