Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tampa is the Pigeon and Revis has to be the bait

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Do you mean a drafted player that was a Jet or one that happened to play with the Jets?? It's the drafted ones we are short off.. Riggens and Namath are the only drafted one's I can think of???
    I think that is true... Klecko was snubbed

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Take this for a shot,

7mill DRC he is not a franchise type guy but almost.
    6mill moore- which is the franchise tag amount for Safety
    3 mill tracey porter (same salary as last year)
    2mil millner as the 13th pick

that is 18 mill, subtract the salaries of the 4 guys they are replacing on the roster say 1mill each player that is 14 mill vs Revis salary demands of 13-15 per year.
    Tampa's new secondary;

Revis - CB
    Wright - CB
    Barron - SS
    Grimm - FS

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Comeon It isn't the New GM fault ( It was tanny for giving up the franchise tag) but no fan base is going to be able to handle losing a Revis(once a lifetime player) for anything less than a first. Unfortunately for him he going to take the blunt of the blame from the Fan base if Jets don't get anywhere close to that back for Revis.

That just might turn out to be the case. He doesn't sign with anyone , tests freeagency, leaves , and Jets are left holding the bag with a lousy late third round draft choice.
    That would be hard on any fan base if that would happen to accept.
    Even harder as they probably would not get a 3rd, you only get a 3rd if the total value of the players lost are more than what you signed both in numbers and dollars. With the jets having about 40 mill of 2014 cap dollars they are going to be much bigger buyers than sellers.

That is why I think he stays and they let cro walk after 2014 or trade Cro instead next off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Tampa's new secondary;

Revis - CB
    Wright - CB
    Barron - SS
    Grimm - FS
    or

Millner CB
    Barron SS
    Moore or Gholdson FS
    DRC CB
    Wright at nickle - forget porter, I forgot that Wrights money is guaranteed this year. They can use porter's 3mill somewhere else.

Wright has to be the most overpaid player in the league besides Sanchez.

You want to match up against NO and Atlanta you have to be able to throw 5 guys into coverage.

And again, your placing the best man to man cover corner on a team that runs a zone, lipstick on a pig
    Last edited by patman; 02-03-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I either want to trade Revis this offseason, or extend him this offseason.
    Letting him play next season is a mistake. We're in rebuilding mod, and can't afford for him to walk away without receiving anything but a compensation pick.
    I think for all Jets fans, either against a Revis trade or pro a Revis trade, this perspective makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I'm thinkin’ that Denver’s thinkin’ that they need to move fast. How many seasons does Manning have left?

Putting Revis in the Broncos secondary might be just what Elway needs to win the Super Bowl next year. Let the Broncos keep the 2013 # 1 to get a WR and they have Revis to put some steel in their defense. .
    If, if, if ... we have to trade him, Denver makes the most sense as being a needy suitor.
    They have a small window (Manning's health).
    With Revis, they could seriously be Super Bowl bound.
    The Jets need much more help that the league's best corner back.

All Pro
    or

Millner CB
    Barron SS
    Moore or Gholdson FS
    DRC CB
    Wright at nickle - forget porter, I forgot that Wrights money is guaranteed this year. They can use porter's 3mill somewhere else.

Wright has to be the most overpaid player in the league besides Sanchez.

You want to match up against NO and Atlanta you have to be able to throw 5 guys into coverage.

And again, your placing the best man to man cover corner on a team that runs a zone, lipstick on a pig
    No, i am placing the best CB in the NFL on a team that needs help stopping the forward Pass.

All League
    Why would someone bait a pigeon?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    No, i am placing the best CB in the NFL on a team that needs help stopping the forward Pass.
    Still think my 5 are a better secondary than yours. And if one of my players gets hurt the d don't falter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    I think for all Jets fans, either against a Revis trade or pro a Revis trade, this perspective makes the most sense.

If, if, if ... we have to trade him, Denver makes the most sense as being a needy suitor.
    They have a small window (Manning's health).
    With Revis, they could seriously be Super Bowl bound.
    The Jets need much more help that the league's best corner back.
    You're Denver you have some very big Money tied up in Peyton Manning, Champ Bailey , and soon to be FA Ryan Clady. You go all in for D Revis and his huge contract( pay the price trade wise to acquire him).

What happens if D Revis gets hurt again. How do you find the resources to replace him. If it was just signing Revis in FA Denver might have been all in ,but they aren't given up picks and signing him to a big contract .
    A good team leaves themselves options and by going all in you're severely limiting your options.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    You're Denver you have some very big Money tied up in Peyton Manning, Champ Bailey , and soon to be FA Ryan Clady. You go all in for D Revis and his huge contract( pay the price trade wise to acquire him).

What happens if D Revis gets hurt again. How do you find the resources to replace him. If it was just signing Revis in FA Denver might have been all in ,but they aren't given up picks and signing him to a big contract .
    A good team leaves themselves options and by going all in you're severely limiting your options.
    I think they would ask bailey to cut his salary significantly. he has No SB amortization as his contract was guaranteed fro the first two years. If he cuts his pay to 5mill a year for the next two years it could happen. Right now they have a two year window before Peyton hangs it us and Thomas and Von Miller become FA.

In 2015 peyton Retires and they split his 25 mill between miller and thomas. it could happen, they are 18 under the cap now,add the 6 mill from Baileys salary they got 24 mill, they will need a min of 8 mill for a 1st year cap hit for Clady and 11 mill for Revis that still leaves them 5 mill for their rookies.

Now do i think Denver would do it? no. That is where I see DRC or Sean Smith ending up. having Revis, Dumavil, and Miller on the roster will have 2/3 of the defensive money tied up in 3 players.
    Last edited by patman; 02-04-2013 at 08:11 AM.

All Pro
    I think they would ask bailey to cut his salary significantly. he has No SB amortization as his contract was guaranteed fro the first two years. If he cuts his pay to 5mill a year for the next two years it could happen. Right now they have a two year window before Peyton hangs it us and Thomas and Von Miller become FA.

In 2015 peyton Retires and they split his 25 mill between miller and thomas. it could happen, they are 18 under the cap now,add the 6 mill from Baileys salary they got 24 mill, they will need a min of 8 mill for a 1st year cap hit for Clady and 11 mill for Revis that still leaves them 5 mill for their rookies.

Now do i think Denver would do it? no. That is where I see DRC or Sean Smith ending up. having Revis, Dumavil, and Miller on the roster will have 2/3 of the defensive money tied up in 3 players.
    This is the issue i have with all the teams that end up in salary cap situations like the Jets . Are you trying to tell me that somewhere between the time Thomas and Miller were drafted and the time both becomedue for contract renewals, the Broncos couldn't find any other players at those positions worthy of replacing them.

Now in the person of Miller, because he plays at a premium position i can see spending the money on him. But Thomas can and should be a replaceable component after 4 years if the coaches developing players are worth their pay.
    This is what teams like the Steelers do, and when they don't they find themselves with OLs that can't protect the QB or open holes for decent RBs.

All League
    Keep him.

If the Jets offer him a 5yr $60mil deal, with $40mil guaranteed, I think he'd take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    did you guys see champ bailey get spit roasted in the playoff game a few weeks ago.

keep revis enough said.
    Did you watch the game last night? 2 of the better D's in the league, 34-31. Stop it. You don't win in this league spending 16-20 mil on one defensive player. The better teams will score anyway. Average CB's are sufficient. You don't need to shut down one receiver, you need a pass rush that creates opportunistic chances for the secondary to create turnovers off bad throws.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Did you watch the game last night? 2 of the better D's in the league, 34-31. Stop it. You don't win in this league spending 16-20 mil on one defensive player. The better teams will score anyway. Average CB's are sufficient. You don't need to shut down one receiver, you need a pass rush that creates opportunistic chances for the secondary to create turnovers off bad throws.
    Well said.

And when was the last time a CB led their team to a Super Bowl title?

Tampa Bay is still too much into development mode. They have a need but they also will try and solve their issues via the draft imo. The true targets are the teams at the top who almost made it and have lower 1st round picks.

Revis takes away one receiver from the other team.
    Revis does not take many penalties doing so.
    Revis makes you pay the price if you go his way too often.

If you go into the game last night and say, we will move a safety over to Torrey Smiths side because Boldin is not going to do anything you have a leg up. Even though it is an offense/passing league if teams have the cap space and feel that adding the best Db in the game can get them over the hump there will be offers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    edit

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Well said.

And when was the last time a CB led their team to a Super Bowl title?
    Um, what's your point? No one is suggesting the Broncos give us Manning for Revis. Do you think before you type or just spew whatever random thoughts come out of your head?

The fact is that the Broncos already have a great QB/WRs and some playmakers on defense They are missing a great CB. Revis wouldn't be the one LEADING the broncos to the title, he would be helping them like Deion did in SF/Dallas when he HELPED Aikman and Young.

Unless you are too young to remember how much Deion helped the Niners and COwboys or how much Darrell Green helped the Redskins.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Um, what's your point? No one is suggesting the Broncos give us Manning for Revis. Do you think before you type or just spew whatever random thoughts come out of your head?

The fact is that the Broncos already have a great QB/WRs and some playmakers on defense They are missing a great CB. Revis wouldn't be the one LEADING the broncos to the title, he would be helping them like Deion did in SF/Dallas when he HELPED Aikman and Young.

Unless you are too young to remember how much Deion helped the Niners and COwboys or how much Darrell Green helped the Redskins.
    Von Miller and Dumervil are going to need paid and both are worth more than Revis.

TX and Snell41 are 100% correct.

I'd almost argue that great safety play is far more important than corner play, as well.

A safety who can come up and stop the run and also stay back and cover is probably the single most important thing to a defense after a dominant pass rusher.

It also is why Rex and Rob Ryan are slowly being made obsolete: Their system is based on corner isolation play and everybody knows what it is now. Jesus himself could be playing CB, but it won't matter when it ends up being a max protect scheme run over and over and you have your Hall of Fame CB's trying to cover TE's with WR speed and 6'5"+ height.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 02-04-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Keep him.

If the Jets offer him a 5yr $60mil deal, with $40mil guaranteed, I think he'd take it.
    You're nuts. Your barely halfway to what he wants.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Keep him.

Revis is going to be looking at around a 18-20 million dollar signing bonus and at least 3 years guaranteed salary. That puts him in the 60 million guaranteed range minimum.