Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tampa is the Pigeon and Revis has to be the bait

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    You're nuts. Your barely halfway to what he wants.
    Fine, then trade him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Um, what's your point? No one is suggesting the Broncos give us Manning for Revis. Do you think before you type or just spew whatever random thoughts come out of your head?

The fact is that the Broncos already have a great QB/WRs and some playmakers on defense They are missing a great CB. Revis wouldn't be the one LEADING the broncos to the title, he would be helping them like Deion did in SF/Dallas when he HELPED Aikman and Young.

Unless you are too young to remember how much Deion helped the Niners and COwboys or how much Darrell Green helped the Redskins.
    Helped yes but the 49'ers and Cowboys won bowls without him as well..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Fine, then trade him.
    I don't mean to be abrupt, but word from his camp is he's looking for better than Mario Williams deal. 6 years 100m, with 50 guaranteed. For a 6 year contract you can't even backload that with unguaranteed money. The guaranteed money alone makes it prohibitive to try to threaten cutting him or restructure later on down the line. You sign him for that deal you're keeping him for the full 6 years. I mean, if 50m is split over 6 years you're looking at 8 mil guaranteed each year. So if we tried to backload the unguaranteed money you'd still be looking at a 16m dead monety hit if we unloaded him before year 5 (the last 2 years of his prorated guaranteed money spread throughout the contract). We would need the ability to unload him in order to have any leverage to make him consider restructuring. Not saying we would unload him early, but we have to have that realistic threat if we want him to restructure down the line.

Let me preface all of this by saying I think Revis is the best CB of all time. I think he's that good. I think he's a good final piece for a team that is set most everywhere else. I just feel today's game does not call for building a defense around a guy like Revis. Offenses do not have Jerry Rice or Randy Moss with no other legit threats in the receiving game. Look at last night's game. SF had Davis, Crabtree, Moss, Gore, and the threat of Kaepernick running. Take Crabtree out of the game and you still have major issues all over the field. BAL has Boldin, Smith, Pitta, and Rice. Take Boldin out and they still have plenty of weapons to beat you.

You win in today's game by creating turnover, not by just taking away one receiver. You need a pass rush. You need to force the QB to make a bad throw. When a good QB has time to throw he will make smart decisions. He will find the receivers that Revis isn't covering. When he has pressure in his face he will rush his throws. The timing is off and passes will be off the mark. An average secondary can make plays off bad throws. A great secondary will still get burned if you can't get pressure on the QB. If we have 16-20m to spend on a defensive player, let it be on a guy who forces a good QB to make mistakes. Revis doesn't do that. A good QB just doesn't throw Revis's way. I think if you asked every QB whether they'd rather deal with Revis taking away one weapon or if they'd rather have pressure in their face constantly I bet every QB would say they'd rather have to account for Revis and just not throw that way.

I firmly believe to win in today's game you must build an offense that can score 30 points or more on a consistent basis. You do that by investing big FA money on good offensive pieces starting at QB (hopefully one you've drafted and are now rewarding for great play). On defense I believe you build through the draft to keep costs down. Take dynamic front 7 playmakers and be prepared to let them go come time for their big contracts and continue to replace them via the draft.
    Last edited by Snell41; 02-04-2013 at 02:01 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draft Leon Sandcastle, and trade Revis.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Um, what's your point? No one is suggesting the Broncos give us Manning for Revis. Do you think before you type or just spew whatever random thoughts come out of your head?

The fact is that the Broncos already have a great QB/WRs and some playmakers on defense They are missing a great CB. Revis wouldn't be the one LEADING the broncos to the title, he would be helping them like Deion did in SF/Dallas when he HELPED Aikman and Young.

Unless you are too young to remember how much Deion helped the Niners and COwboys or how much Darrell Green helped the Redskins.
    true, but 15-20 years ago, how often did teams run 5 receivers in a pattern.
    1/2 the teams now a days are in an empty backfield. A sub package was when you ran your 3rd corner on the field for the nickle, The dime package was unheard of. Now you see teams in a dime for 1/3rd of the game.

Back then they said that Sanders took 1/2 the field away, that was true as teams would only send two guys or the most 3 guys out. RB now have to be able to catch the ball with the same skill as running the ball.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't mean to be abrupt, but word from his camp is he's looking for better than Mario Williams deal. 6 years 100m, with 50 guaranteed. For a 6 year contract you can't even backload that with unguaranteed money. The guaranteed money alone makes it prohibitive to try to threaten cutting him or restructure later on down the line. You sign him for that deal you're keeping him for the full 6 years. I mean, if 50m is split over 6 years you're looking at 8 mil guaranteed each year. So if we tried to backload the unguaranteed money you'd still be looking at a 16m dead monety hit if we unloaded him before year 5 (the last 2 years of his prorated guaranteed money spread throughout the contract).
    This should have been stopped here. No defensive player outside of Hall of Fame pass rusher DaMarcus Ware and possibly JJ Watt deserve anywhere close to this type of money. Not Revis, not anybody. This is franchise QB/Calvin Johnson money.
    Let me preface all of this by saying I think Revis is the best CB of all time.
    This is why you should have stopped.........Deion Sanders, Aeneas Williams, Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson, and Champ Bailey have all contributed points to their respective teams at inhuman rates that Revis can't compare to.

These guys were the ones who forced cash-ins by a great pass rush. While Revis is a GREAT cover corner, there's no indication that he can be a major takeaway guy with a top flight pass rush. You simply have no proof to substantiate that.

It's funny because in that regard, Cro actually does. In his early years with SD, when Merriman was on roids in 2007 and had 12.5 sacks and Phillips was benefiting from all of Merriman's double teams, Cromartie had 10 INT's and a TD.

In any event, Revis' value is overblown by the Ryan defensive system. If on the Niners, for instance, from the day he was drafted until now, we'd still consider him as one of the top CB's in the NFL, but he would not be viewed as better than either Smith, Willis, Bowman, or either Safety.

A good QB just doesn't throw Revis's way. I think if you asked every QB whether they'd rather deal with Revis taking away one weapon or if they'd rather have pressure in their face constantly I bet every QB would say they'd rather have to account for Revis and just not throw that way.
    There's a good TL;DR and /thread.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 02-04-2013 at 03:18 PM.