Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Be honest

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJGunns View Post
    If the Jets won the Super Bowl, would you break down into a blubbering mess? I had a small emotional moment when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup in 1994 and I got slightly more emotional when the Yankees won the World Series in 1996, but I really think I would lose it if the Jets won the Super Bowl. Watching Richard Dent walk with the Lombardi Trophy and the music playing in the background gave me chills.
    I would shed a tear, for sure. I almost shed a tear in 94' as well, but that was probably for different reasons than you.

Having kids brings a new perspective on things too. My Dad's a Giants fan so I don't have that connection with him that Locke was talking about. I previously thought that any type of Super Bowl victory would entail boozy all night celebrations while waking up in some subway station, not knowing how I got there. Now, my image of a SB win is hugging my son jumping up and down and watching the glee on his face. Well, that's my 5 year old. My little one thinks the Jets won last night.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Islanders dont count.

1) They suck
    2) They dont have a storied drought like the JETS and Rangers (Cuns Red Sox etc...)
    Watch yer mouth, paper pusher.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I would shed a tear, for sure. I almost shed a tear in 94' as well, but that was probably for different reasons than you.

Having kids brings a new perspective on things too. My Dad's a Giants fan so I don't have that connection with him that Locke was talking about. I previously thought that any type of Super Bowl victory would entail boozy all night celebrations while waking up in some subway station, not knowing how I got there. Now, my image of a SB win is hugging my son jumping up and down and watching the glee on his face.

Well, that's my 5 year old. My little one thinks the Jets won last night.
    That sums up the JETS right there.

Fool em while you can. many are still fooled into their adult hood!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    What a buncha fegallas.
    This.
    Cry? H*ll no. Last time I cried over a football game the Jets lost to KC in the playoffs the year after winning the SB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can a corpse cry tears, cause I'm sure I'll be dead. Sad thing is I'm only 36.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't cry after Supe 3 but I did laugh all the way to the bank..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    I wouldn't know. I prolly be dead by then.
    WWRVD?

(What Would Roger Vick Do?)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watch yer mouth, paper pusher.
    1- We are paperless

2- YOU are an Islanders fan??? makes sense, Mets, jets, Islanders.

Boy..tough life.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJGunns View Post
    If the Jets won the Super Bowl, would you break down into a blubbering mess?
    Yes.

Without question.

But I cry at movies and when I hear bagpipes, so maybe I'm not a good example.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    1- We are paperless

2- YOU are an Islanders fan??? makes sense, Mets, jets, Islanders.

Boy..tough life.
    Life was grand....when I was 7 - 10 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Yes.

Without question.

Damn....if they ever made a movie about bagpipes, you'd be a mess.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Having kids brings a new perspective on things too. My Dad's a Giants fan so I don't have that connection with him that Locke was talking about. I previously thought that any type of Super Bowl victory would entail boozy all night celebrations while waking up in some subway station, not knowing how I got there. Now, my image of a SB win is hugging my son jumping up and down and watching the glee on his face. Well, that's my 5 year old. My little one thinks the Jets won last night.
    My younger ones (daughter 8 and son 6) are really resisting this whole "stay loyal during the tough years" approach. Most of my son's classmates are Giants fans. He keeps asking me "Dad, why we don't root for the Giants. It's fun to watch them win the Super Bowl! When did the Jets win anything?". My younger daughter, who loves going to hockey games, asks "Dad, why do we like the Rangers? It takes so long to get to the games, and they don't have a mascot like Sparky."

My oldest (14) seems committed to the teams (Jets, Rangers, Yanks and Knicks) we root for. Even when she was much younger she never fell into the trap of rooting for the team that won the recent championship, or who had the funniest mascot, etc. She has always gotten the fan loyalty thing, and has never wavered. Poor kid...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Life was grand....when I was 7 - 10 years old.

Damn....if they ever made a movie about bagpipes, you'd be a mess.

Historical inaccuracies aside, yeah,

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.

Without question.

You got me on everything here.
    Especially the pipes, being Irish-American.
    Amazing Grace on the pipes touches my soul like nothing else.

I guess it'd just depend on how the game is going. If we were blowing out the other team, then the tears may come early and casually. If its a nail-biter, then I'll just be a frantic mess.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Historical inaccuracies aside, yeah,

Outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes.

(Filmed in Ireland of course )

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morite View Post
    My younger ones (daughter 8 and son 6) are really resisting this whole "stay loyal during the tough years" approach. Most of my son's classmates are Giants fans. He keeps asking me "Dad, why we don't root for the Giants. It's fun to watch them win the Super Bowl! When did the Jets win anything?". My younger daughter, who loves going to hockey games, asks "Dad, why do we like the Rangers? It takes so long to get to the games, and they don't have a mascot like Sparky."
    My oldest (14) seems committed to the teams (Jets, Rangers, Yanks and Knicks) we root for. Even when she was much younger she never fell into the trap of rooting for the team that won the recent championship, or who had the funniest mascot, etc. She has always gotten the fan loyalty thing, and has never wavered. Poor kid...
    You think be a Rangers fan on LI is tough....try be an Isles fan in Manhattan! I think there's two of us. My son started kindergarden this year and thankfully his jersey is Isles jersey is too ridiculously long to wear anywhere but a game. Otherwise, he'd get haranagued non-stop and he's got a big mouth. He doesn't realize that talking back to a posse of second graders on the school yard can have dire consequences.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would bawl like a little baby.

I'd probably never watch an NFL game after that either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You think be a Rangers fan on LI is tough....try be an Isles fan in Manhattan! I think there's two of us. My son started kindergarden this year and thankfully his jersey is Isles jersey is too ridiculously long to wear anywhere but a game. Otherwise, he'd get haranagued non-stop and he's got a big mouth. He doesn't realize that talking back to a posse of second graders on the school yard can have dire consequences.
    Sounds difficult.When the Isles went on their 4 cup run I hated it. I would be in a bar watching the Rangers-Isles and we always lost. 1983....when Ken morrow scored against Glen Hanlon I was PISSED.

The entire bar was chanting 1940 and me and 3 guys were chanting BEAT YOUR WIFE POTVIN.

Good times......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No I doubt it not with this group. I have seen a few Yankee WS which was more impotent to me and I did not. But to be fair in 94 my 1st response was why didn't they keep Donny one more friggen year, so it felt tainted to me. Had he been on that team maybe. Heck if he wins this year in LA I still might the guy deserves one. I get more connected to players then a team really. When Muss won 20 I came closer to crying. Joe Montana's last game I'll admit I cried a little. Who didn't? That was like the end of Armageddon where they just kept saying goodby for like an hr. If we won one with Vinny, Martin, Abe, and Glenn maybe but no one on this team connects with me like those guys did. If we won with guys like Vick, Holmes, Edwards, and Thomas I'd actually be more discussed. I think most of the Tebow haters would say the same thing if he won us one.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    maybe..but when the Rangers won, I was ecstatic for years. Still am.

I think I called every guy on my high school hockey team, past coaches etc...

Dont think I cried though. I did celebrate very loudly.
    I'm still satisfied with the 1994 cup. I think that will wear off in 2020, so I have a little more time. The same with the Yankees. I'm good for a while. A Jets Super Bowl victory would probably last me for 25 years before I started to get the real itch.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cry when I dream about it. So I already know it's gonna be homo time, when it actually happens. My wife won't get any peace for the rest of the month.

Out of the mouth of babes....

I can only pray my daughter shows this type of intestinal fortitude. As it is now though, at three she shows all the symptoms of Jets fan syndrome (thank God!)