Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How was Cary Williams not ejected?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He didn't even get a penalty. The refs called offsetting penalties and his number wasn't even mentioned. But they have no problem calling a penalty on the Niners on the first play of the game because one of the WRs was lined up a half foot to close to the line.
    (not suggesting there was any favoritism, its just stupid.)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    And it's 100% wrong.

There is no question, in any form, that a double-fisted chest push by a rampaging, out of control player, who went on to rampage around some more, absolutely should have resulted in an ejection.

The fact the spineless shill announcers didn't say a single word about this is an embarassment.

The super Bowl should not be when all the rules suddenly stop being enforced.
    But that's the funny part, they still called illegal formation penalty on the first play of the game that had no impact on the play. They called PI on the last scoring drive for the Ravens that extended their drive on third down. I'm not complaining about those calls, but you can't arbitrarily decide which calls are ok to call in a SB and which are not.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I have no idea how anyone actually watching the game could have missed it. If you were if fact watching when it happened, and didn't see it, I'd question your powers of observation.

Of course, you think Tebow is awesome, so your powers of observation are already stringly in contestation as it is...
    Probably because the GIF is a cropped portion of the TV frame and there was actually more going on onscreen than just that push.

Here's the footage from the broadcast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu4cu10-rhk

Call me blind, but even when I was specifically looking for the shove, I had to watch it a few times to see when it happened as my attention kept being pulled to the larger melee in the center of the screen.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    But that's the funny part, they still called illegal formation penalty on the first play of the game that had no impact on the play. They called PI on the last scoring drive for the Ravens that extended their drive on third down. I'm not complaining about those calls, but you can't arbitrarily decide which calls are ok to call in a SB and which are not.

IIRC, the illegal formation might have had an impact on the play. When teams line up, you have to have 7 guys on the LoS and the player on each end is an eligible receiver, along with anyone in the backfield. All other players are ineligible. Davis was lined up as the TE on the left hand side, but a WR "covered" him by lining up on the LoS. This signals to the defense that Davis isn't eligible and therefore, they don't have to cover him down field.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Call me blind
    Ok, you're blind.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Only Jets fans complain about refs in games the Jets aren't even in.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure fans of 31 other teams do that too. I know the 9ers fans are complaining about the Super Bowl reffing, and the Jets weren't in that game

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didnt notice that either but I did notice another spot before that where another Raven (bigger lineman I think) push a ref to the ground while he was on the pile. Shoved him right to the ground then you see Williams helmet getting ripped off and he gets up and pushes the other guy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC, the illegal formation might have had an impact on the play. When teams line up, you have to have 7 guys on the LoS and the player on each end is an eligible receiver, along with anyone in the backfield. All other players are ineligible. Davis was lined up as the TE on the left hand side, but a WR "covered" him by lining up on the LoS. This signals to the defense that Davis isn't eligible and therefore, they don't have to cover him down field.
    Possibly, but if i had to bet the Ravens seeing Vernon Davis lined up outside had someone covering him and did not alter their coverage because he was lined up "illegaly" but i could be wrong.

I understand not calling as many holding penalties or looking the other way on a few illegal contacts down the field, but to ignore an assault to a referee that was caught on camera is just mind boggling to me. Does this now set a precedent that players can push officials during future super bowls and not even get a penalty?

My guess it that the ref that got pushed happens to be a very mild mannered individual and Williams just got lucky that he pushed one of the few NFL refs that wouldn't toss him plus all the other refs didn't see it because they were too busy with the melee.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Refs are obviously terrified of making any impact on the game.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if a defense would risk not covering Vernon Davis in the hopes of the referees would make the proper call. A WR can easily take a step back before the ball is snapped making the TE eligible. I highly doubt that the Ravens defense processed whether the TE was covered or not and then made the snap decision not to cover him.

Rules are rules and they need to be enforced, but I don't think you can say that it had a major affect on the outcome of the play.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Refs are obviously terrified of making any impact on the game.
    Fourth Quarter with the ravens up just 2 points:

3rd-9, BAL22 8:35 San Francisco committed 14 yard penalty
    1st-10, BAL36 8:30 B. Pierce rushed to the right for 2 yard gain
    2nd-8, BAL38 7:57 J. Flacco passed to A. Boldin to the right for 7 yard gain
    3rd-1, BAL45 7:14 J. Flacco passed to A. Boldin to the right for 15 yard gain
    1st-10, SF40 6:30 R. Rice rushed to the left for 12 yard gain
    1st-10, SF28 5:51 R. Rice rushed to the right for 2 yard gain
    2nd-8, SF26 5:13 B. Pierce rushed to the left for 1 yard gain
    3rd-7, SF25 4:32 San Francisco committed 5 yard penalty
    3rd-2, SF20 4:28 J. Flacco incomplete pass to the right
    4th-2, SF20 4:19 J. Tucker kicked a 38-yard field goal
    This field goal was huge forcing the niners to score a TD late instead of a FG to win.

I'm not suggesting the PI was a bad call (it was clearly PI), but that is why they can't pick and choose when they will enforce the rules. Just enforce it evenly the entire game and you won't get ridiculed.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I caught that right away and replayed it a few times. Ok Super Bowl, he came up Blind not knowing who he was shoving. I do on the other hand think he immediately figured out what he did and that is why when he turned to go after the players he seemed to have pulled back a bit. I think he was like, Oh sh!t I just shoved the ref.

Tough to toss a guy in the SB, but if you give an unsportsmanlike on shoving the ref, you have to eject, I feel that is why nothing was done, you can't justify pushing an official without an ejection.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    If that was a Jet. It would be labeled another "circus" act by Gang Green and Williams would be ripped by lame and dull writers like Gary Myers.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a $21,000 fine.

This is an ejection.

This is a $50,000 fine.

This? Nothing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That crew was under major scrutiny before the game began bc people felt Bogert wasn't qualified for the game. I think their goal was to not get noticed. I think they did an OK job. They let things get out of hand a little but nothing terrible.
    Couldn't believe that slimeball was even there... And he made it as controversial as he always does.

He must have had money on the Ravens.