Thread: 49ers should look at us if they think squandering chances like this won't kill you

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

49ers should look at us if they think squandering chances like this won't kill you

I think their 2 year run is more heart breaking compared to our 2 year run. The way these 2 post seasons ended for them last year with the special teams fumbles and this year the way the SB ended up for them ... you can't miss on these chances. I know it looks like they have a bright future with Kap, a great head coach just finishing his 2nd year, and a great defense ..... ummmm it doesn't always work out that way. Kap showed elite level stuff but teams didn't have as much time to prepare for him. Teams will adjust as to how they play him next year and you know Harbaugh will find new ways to use him but teams will also study what worked against him this year and apply it next.

Seattle looks like the real deal. They are loaded with a ton of young talent. Wilson looks every bit as good as RG3 and Seattle's defense is so young and explosive their ceiling looks higher than San Fran. I wouldn't be shocked if these 2 runs for San Fran are their peak. Its so tough to get back there and you just never know what happens with injuries and etc. You have to cash out on chances like this cause you never know when you get them again. I remember thinking after we lost to Pitt that we missed out on 2 chances but then I thought we could reload and improve in all areas, then look what happened. Not saying San Fran will run it to the ground like us but everything looked crisp and like we were run like an elite level franchise after those 2 years headed in the right direction. I see a lot of Rex in Jim Harbaugh. Harbaugh's complaints about the ref situation doesn't look good. Ref's sucked no doubt but he hardly took any accountability on his preparation, his team's lack of focus early, and the constant missed assignments. Rex actually took more responsiblity after the Pitt loss than Harbuagh did. Harbaugh is a VERY emotional guy. High football IQ like Rex. Crazy success the first 2 years. 9ers org and fans shouldn't be too quick to assume they'll consistently be back in this position.
    Last edited by LadainianIMnotDONE; 02-04-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. But the 49ers did get over the hump and at least get to a SB. And their young core is better than ours was. I think they are in a better position to get back than we were. But time will tell. Nothing is guaranteed. They may never get back.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Refs sucked??

The "non-call" on Jimmy Smith on the 4th down pass was questionable ... questionable. I've seen it called, I've seen it not called. But I gotta tell ya, Joe Flacco was absolutely crushed 5 yards out of bounds on their last drive that resulted in a FG, and there was no flag. I thought that non-call was horrendous. Also, the running into the kicker call that gave Akers another shot at his missed FG, was bad as well. No, Harbaugh needs to quit his crying and thank the stars his team was even in the ballgame. That blackout crap was inexcusable, and it would be hard to over-state how much impact it had on the change in momentum.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We never squandered anything. We were never a real threat to win.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    +1

SF's secondary is less that playoff worthy. They were absolutely horrendous last night.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    the 49ers core players are locked up long term. Plus, they built their roster through the draft, not with stupid FA signings like we did.

They'll be good for the next 4-6 years.

Comparing them to us is retarded.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So when you were watching the Jets up 17-6 in the 2nd quarter of the AFC Championship game against the COlts your reaction was "meh, we have no chance." You are a great Jet fan.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not comparable.

They have absolutely amazing talent on offense.

Gotta give the Ravens O-line credit. They relied less on their secondary this year than their pass rush. Bryant McKinnie and Michael Oher were absolutely fantastic last night against Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks.

Although I think Justin Smith's blown arm had something to do with the overall ineffectiveness of their pass rush. Which exposed their secondary.

The Niners corners haven't been great all year. But I don't know what was up with Goldson and Whitner, two outstanding safeties, last night, either. They were probably the best tandem in the league all year long.

All-in-all, I think Fangio did a really bad job with his calls. Flacco is relatively immobile and he should have been blitzing more since his CB's were getting exposed. His refusal to blitz probably cost his team the one stop they needed to at least tie the game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not true. An established, legitimate QB could have taken the team at least to the SB if not winning it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Disagree to an extent. If the Jets fired Schitthead midseason, like the Ravens dumped the other epic moron Cam Cameron this year (two worst OC's in football),.... The Jets win that game in Pittsburgh. I guarantee it. Only Schitthead calls a shotgun 4-wide formation on 3rd and 17 down 17-0 with 1:30 left before halftime.... Strip sack, TD Steelers, 24-0.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 02-04-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    +1

SF's secondary is less that playoff worthy. They were absolutely horrendous last night.
    You need to get over this idea that secondary's are playing poorly. This is the new NFL. This is the rules, and it's exactly what Goodell wants. Can't hit QB's, can't hit defensless WR's, can't touch WR's past 5 yards. Secondaries can't play anymore. That's why they're not important. You need a pass rush. Period. You need a pass rush that forces a QB to rush an errant throw. That's how secondaries can succeed in this game. The idea that CB's can "cover" anymore outside of Revis is long gone.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    You need to get over this idea that secondary's are playing poorly. This is the new NFL. This is the rules, and it's exactly what Goodell wants. Can't hit QB's, can't hit defensless WR's, can't touch WR's past 5 yards. Secondaries can't play anymore. That's why they're not important. You need a pass rush. Period. You need a pass rush that forces a QB to rush an errant throw. That's how secondaries can succeed in this game. The idea that CB's can "cover" anymore outside of Revis is long gone.
    QFT.

Revis and Cro are both awesome, however, you can't cover forever. It will break down.

O-line/D-line (incl. pass rushers) > QB > everything else.

Very difficult stuff, I know. But it's why Revis needs traded.