Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does every stadium have it's own power generator?

Does every stadium have it's own power generator?

That power outage for over a half an hour was the worst thing I have seen in Superbowl history. They spend so much money building these stadiums, it would stand to reason that they should have their own power generator to light the place up if a transformer fails outside the place. I think they said it was like over 80 minutes before Flacco and the offense took the field again. The 49ers came right out and scored 17 points against and older tighter Ravens defense. This should never happen again, and the NFL should mandate these stadiums be able to stand on their own if the power goes out!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    That power outage for over a half an hour was the worst thing I have seen in Superbowl history. They spend so much money building these stadiums, it would stand to reason that they should have their own power generator to light the place up if a transformer fails outside the place. I think they said it was like over 80 minutes before Flacco and the offense took the field again. The 49ers came right out and scored 17 points against and older tighter Ravens defense. This should never happen again, and the NFL should mandate these stadiums be able to stand on their own if the power goes out!
    While they probably have emergency generators to allow people to exit safely (especially in domes), they would need enormous generators to power the entire stadium, lights, luxury suites, TV and Radio equipment, etc.

For 1 Super Bowl in 40+ years to have an incident like this is to be expected. S.. Happens.

I would think that all modern indoor arena would have back up generators for general lighting for emergency exiting and to power pumps for sewer, sprinklers etc. But for lighting up the field and concessions I don't think so. And since so many of these are built with public money can you imagine the outcry if hospitals go with out power but guys can watch a football game? I know outside of Mass most other states help fund these things but that would be nuts.
    Last edited by patman; 02-04-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Banned
    You need a small power plant to power the whole stadium.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Woody is having Xanadu turned into a Giant back-up Generator after last nights mess, P.S., he is funding it with a food & beer P.C..L you have to buy a 5 ,year Personal Commisarrie License $5,000 per person for food & drink. LOL!

Jets Insider VIP
    GMC approves this thread.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    Woody is having Xanadu turned into a Giant back-up Generator after last nights mess, P.S., he is funding it with a food & beer P.C..L you have to buy a 5 ,year Personal Commisarrie License $5,000 per person for food & drink. LOL!
    You should consider applying to become one of Alec Baldwin's PLUCWs.....Personal Lame Unfunny Commedarrie Writers....

Submit a copy of your gem above with your resume
    Last edited by sg3; 02-04-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    GMC approves this thread.

Banned
    Shouldn't it have benefitted the older Ravens D ?

**** happens. Big deal, a football game was delayed abit. Your gonna invest a gazillion dollars in back ups for that?

I'm outraged!

Hearing now it was a monitoring system that shut down the power after sensing an abnormality. It may well have functioned as designed and prevented a safety mishap (speculating only).

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post

Emergency power generation is reasonable to expect.

Full Stadium Backup-Power generation, is not.

Personally, I like the "NFL Conspiracy to get the 49'ers back in it" theory.

All League
    I think I recall a power outage in the last five years at another NFL game. Cant recall where. Does anyone remember that?

Power not really a problem its those lights, once they go of it takes min 10mins to come back on. The power once it's figured out is easier to "fix"

The pats old stadium had one in the 1996 playoffs

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I think I recall a power outage in the last five years at another NFL game. Cant recall where. Does anyone remember that?
    Candlestick park last season had an outage before the start of the Pitt vs SF game.....

No they didn't. They punted the ball back to BAL first. I don't think the outage had anything to do with the comeback. Don't forget they did the exact same thing against the Falcons. As for the outage, completelty unacceptable I agree. I believe this actually happened at Metlife Stadium during a Giants game as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The power was turned off intentionally. The game was becoming a blowout, that's a nightmare for the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    The power was turned off intentionally. The game was becoming a blowout, that's a nightmare for the league.
    And if you'd like to subscribe to Buzz's cutting newsletter, please email him at Fuzzytinfoilhat@conspiracytheory.net.

Most of the power for a stadium is used for heating and air conditioning. Lighting only uses a small portion of the energy provided. Stadiums could easily generate this power for themselves, but I think the problem is in the kind of lighting they are using, probably sodium lighting, which take time to recycle if you shut them down.