Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If the Ravens actually cut Anquan Boldin, the Jets should go after him

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...anquan-boldin/

altimore wide receiver Anquan Boldin has been a playoff difference maker, catching 16 passes for 276 yards and three touchdowns through three postseason wins. But Sunday’s Super Bowl may be his last game in a Ravens uniform due to Baltimore’s forthcoming salary cap issues.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter stated on NFL Live Thursday that the Ravens currently project to be $5 million over the 2013 salary cap. And that’s before they address quarterback Joe Flacco’s contract situation, which at the very least will involve applying a $14.6 million franchise tag. At that point, Baltimore would soar to nearly $20 million over the cap.

The Ravens will soon face some difficult decisions, one being the future of Boldin. Releasing Boldin would free up $5.5 million in cap space, and Schefter said it “very well” may happen.

Cutting fellow receiver Jacoby Jones would create another $3.5 million in cap room.

But Geebus. Let's sign Flacco to a mega-deal and then cut his weapons. How many times these playoffs did we see Flacco just heave it in his general direction, only to see Boldin go up and get it?

And McG...much better Muchacho.

But, Jeebus. Let's re-sign Flacco to a mega-deal and cut the very receivers that have made him look good. How many times did he just chick it his general direction and Boldin just came down with the ball?
    Schefter also stated that Baltimore’s cap woes could cost the franchise an opportunity to re-sign impending free agent linebacker Paul Kruger. Kruger has been the Ravens’ best pass rusher this season. If Kruger hit the market, he’d be the top available “rush linebacker“ in 2013 free agency.

If this isn't enough info let me know I can get more for you.... Without a doubt something can / will happen. He is either going to be released or renegotiate the existing contract...
    I stand corrected.

Given that, I'd like to see the pats sign all 3 players.

But really, Let's give Flacco a huge new deal and then cut all his weapons to do it. How many times these playoffs did we see him chuck it up in his general direction. only to see Boldin go up and get it?

And McG....much better, Muchacho.
    Last edited by GuidoYaztremski; 02-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right, because IF this happens, the first thing Boldin will think is "where can I play on a team with no QB and no chance of winning a SB?"

If the Ravens cut Boldin, they are idiots. Without Boldin, they do not win the SB. Heck, they probably would not have even gotten to the SB. IF they are stupid enough to cut him, there is little doubt in my mind that he he will end up with Brady and the Patriots. Any other decision by Boldin would be foolish.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    I stand corrected.

But really, Let's give Flacco a huge new deal and then cut all his weapons to do it. How many times these playoffs did we see him chuck it up in his general direction. only to see Boldin go up and get it?

Ummmm this is precisely what the Jets did!!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected.

I think Boldin will restructure his deal to be more cap friendly next year. He seems like the ultimate team player, Jacoby Jones is a different story...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ravens are hard against the cap. If Flacco plays this like Brees did forcing the Ravens to tag him at 15 then they have no money at this time for either draft picks or to resign their own FA. Lewis retiring saves the 4.5 which is enough for the rookies, Birk would be a couple of mill but that is it. They are going to need to cut or restructure alot over the next few weeks just to sign their RFAs

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The ravens are hard against the cap. If Flacco plays this like Brees did forcing the Ravens to tag him at 15 then they have no money at this time for either draft picks or to resign their own FA. Lewis retiring saves the 4.5 which is enough for the rookies, Birk would be a couple of mill but that is it. They are going to need to cut or restructure alot over the next few weeks just to sign their RFAs
    Maybe they'll just hire Tanny. He'll fix everything. Easy peasy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Sure there is a good chance that Boldin could be cut, but why would the Jets invest in a 33 year old WR who will be looking for 6-7 million dollars a year? He is nice player, but hardly fits into the Jets rebuilding process.
    A team like the 49ers might be willing to pay Boldin to replace a Randy Moss. As well as any other team that is seriously close to getting into a Supe.

Jets are looking for a few younger mid level talents to fill needs. And cheap one year rentals if they have to.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    He'd rub off on our young receivers and give whoever our QB is a legitimate target to throw to. The guy makes ridiculous plays on a regular basis.
    Boldin wouldn't play 4 Jets bc the jets were the team that put him in the hospital with a plate...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    its not going to be easy for the ravens after winning the superbowl, they have some pretty big shoes to fill and not a ton of money to fill them with.

Joe flacco is going to command big money this offseason especially after posting an 11-0 td/int ratio this post season. His agent is probably kicking his feet up now with the leverage he has.

Paul Kruger was a big part of their defense this year, he posted a 9 sack season without suggs on the other side garnering attention for most of the season.

They're also losing Ray and Matt Birk who i think is retiring as well. Those are two big holes to fill. Ed reed has been thinking about retiring for the past few years, this might be his chance to leave as well, if he does thats another big hole on the defensive side of the ball to fill.

on the plus side they have one of the best gm's in the league to help rebuild the team and they always do a good job of drafting and developing young talent so they might be fine

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boldin is going to go where the money is. he just won a Super Bowl and this next payday could be his last with his age. He isn't going to sign for peanuts just to win again, maybe, with a contender. If the Cheifs offer him the most money he'll go there.

Jones is more interesting to me than Boldin because he'd be cheaper, he's younger and he is a stellar return man.

Too bad the Jets are in salary cap hell too, this would have been a great year to pick at the bones of the Ravens team. They are going to be a little thin next season. A lot of guys leaving and a lot of salary cap decisions to make. They needed to win this so they could take some time and rebuild a bit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Right, because IF this happens, the first thing Boldin will think is "where can I play on a team with no QB and no chance of winning a SB?"

If the Ravens cut Boldin, they are idiots. Without Boldin, they do not win the SB. Heck, they probably would not have even gotten to the SB. IF they are stupid enough to cut him, there is little doubt in my mind that he he will end up with Brady and the Patriots. Any other decision by Boldin would be foolish.
    I'm sure he would look to sign with a contender. As we've seen in these playoffs, he is a very valuable player to have. Catches everything. I agree, Ravens would not have won the SB or even made it without his contributions

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And if the Packers actually cut Rogers, the Jets should go after him, too.

Excellent thread btw.
    Wow...I just need to let the completely unjustified smugness wash over me...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the way Boldin goes up and gets the ball. That being said there is no way he will be a Jet next season. What receiver would want to walk into this QB mess that the Jets have. Jets will need to draft another WR in early rounds and hope Hill is what they thought he was! Until Jets get an established QB they won't be getting a lot of worthwhile free agents knocking on their door. Draft well and maybe pick up a few free agent scraps seems to be the Jets fly pattern this offseason.