Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ozzie Newsome implies Jets didn't have a QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also didn't the Ravens "FIRE" their own OC during the middle of the season!!!!

Good Grief!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morite View Post
    How many times when Kaep and Flacco threw the ball yesterday did you say to yourself (or out loud): "No way Sanchez ever makes that throw!".

Not sure of the #, but it was ALOT.
    AGREED I did say it a lot!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    We don't have an adequate NFL QB currently.

It's not news.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Do you have a direct quote because I don't remember anybody saying he was a top ten QB?
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I remember a quote similar to that, but I believe it was from a player and not a coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Me neither..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Don't worry, you're not crazy. Those words were never said by our coaches. Bart Scott though did say something a while back along the lines of "I believe that Mark can be a top 10 quarterback in this league" but that's really it.
    Rex Ryan had some nice things to say about Mark Sanchez to the press today, according to Waszak and the AP:

"This guy has won four playoff games in two years. All on the road," Ryan said. "When you talk about elite quarterbacks, I think he's an elite quarterback because he wins the big games. And he's a winner."

This was all in reference to Eli Manning's recent controversial comments, claiming that the Giants player deserved to be in the same class of QB as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning; presumably because the younger Manning has also won a Super Bowl as the starting signal caller. Needless to say, this caused quite a stir among sports fans and bloggers.

Another interesting side effect of Eli's...optimistic...self-evaluation is that several signal callers are evaluating themselves under similar criteria: a nonobjective look at the successes (but not the failures) of the team under the starting QB. Joe Flacco echoed Eli's self-praise on the radio with a little ego of his own, saying he considered himself to be in the top five signal callers in the NFL as well.

Our own head coach went so far as to say Sanchez is elite, but Ryan made sure to clarify that Mark is not yet in the same class as Brady and Manning, and there was still work to be done.

No, not (with) those two. (Brady and Manning) Those two have won Super Bowls. Peyton Manning has won a Super Bowl. He's won a zillion games. In my opinion, (he's) the best quarterback in football. Tom Brady's only won three Super Bowls and been the MVP of the league… We're a ways from that. There's no doubt.

I think when someone says Ryan is calling Sanchez an elite QB, they're kind of taking Rex's comments out of context, although he did say Mark is elite. Rex was the only person not claiming his signal caller is in the same league as Peyton or Tom. It seems to boil down to what your definition of elite is. Most QB's idea of elite seems to be 1)themselves and 2)a winner in the class of T.B. and Manning the elder.

Mark hasn't directly addressed the "elite" question himself, but he has been telling the press he is focused on improving his 54% completion rating, calling it "not good enough." In Mark's defense, the Jets were 4th in dropped passes last year, and his Rexness himself thinks Mark is elite.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/...of-an-elite-qb

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get it. The guy said all those GMs who got fired on black Monday didn't have a QB. The guy was right, so exactly why is this being made out to be a shot at the Jets.

The Jet
    The Cards
    The Chiefs
    The Jags
    The Browns
    The Chargers - Phillip Rivers
    The Panthers - Cam Newton

The last 2 guys played like bums last year.

The guy was right.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many times when Kaep and Flacco threw the ball yesterday did you say to yourself (or out loud): "No way Sanchez ever makes that throw!".

Great point. You're right, it was alot of times. But I say that anytime I watch games other than the Jets.......it's just amazing how putrid our QB is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

it wasn't limited to the throws - almost all the play was remarkable by how the Jets weren't even close to it. One languid play by Randy Moss where he barely put out an effort was miles above anything the Jets showed this year, both O-lines, the defense, it's silly to single out Sanchez

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, who cares. Thanks for pointing out the blatantly obvious.

Flacco is the first truly non-elite QB since 2003 (and Brad Johnson was arguably elite that year) to win a Super Bowl.

Congratulations Ozzie, you had a passable QB.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post

Flacco is the first truly non-elite QB since 2003 (and Brad Johnson was arguably elite that year) to win a Super Bowl.

Roethlisberger was not elite in 2005. Eli was not elite in 2007. You need to consider the point in their careers when they won, not what they went on to become.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post

Jets with Flacco are two-time Super Bowl winners, confrim/deny?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Deny. Flacco lost to the same 2 teams as Sanchez in 2009 and 10 and played poorly in both games.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    In other GM news...

Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    RT @gregthompson27: Coach PJ Carlesimo, GM Billy King and former #Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum at Nets practice. pic.twitter.com/opruPczv

So Tanny is now looking for employment in the NBA it seems....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    No.

Ravens are superior at every single offensive position outside of center and guard to the '09 and '10 Jets.

Flacco is above average with above average talent around him. I will not concede more than that.

The Jets needed in 2009 (I won't comment on '10, I didn't buy that team, the '09 team was superior by a lot in my eyes,) a QB who wasn't as mistake prone as Flacco is. It's that simple.

If you are talking about Flacco prior to this season then no again.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And how exactly is he wrong?

We had a below average game manager in 2009, an average game manager in 2010, an inconsistent game manager in 2011 and an absolute piece of **** in 2012.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Rex Ryan had some nice things to say about Mark Sanchez to the press today, according to Waszak and the AP:

"This guy has won four playoff games in two years. All on the road," Ryan said. "When you talk about elite quarterbacks, I think he's an elite quarterback because he wins the big games. And he's a winner."

This was all in reference to Eli Manning's recent controversial comments, claiming that the Giants player deserved to be in the same class of QB as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning; presumably because the younger Manning has also won a Super Bowl as the starting signal caller. Needless to say, this caused quite a stir among sports fans and bloggers.

Another interesting side effect of Eli's...optimistic...self-evaluation is that several signal callers are evaluating themselves under similar criteria: a nonobjective look at the successes (but not the failures) of the team under the starting QB. Joe Flacco echoed Eli's self-praise on the radio with a little ego of his own, saying he considered himself to be in the top five signal callers in the NFL as well.

Our own head coach went so far as to say Sanchez is elite, but Ryan made sure to clarify that Mark is not yet in the same class as Brady and Manning, and there was still work to be done.

No, not (with) those two. (Brady and Manning) Those two have won Super Bowls. Peyton Manning has won a Super Bowl. He's won a zillion games. In my opinion, (he's) the best quarterback in football. Tom Brady's only won three Super Bowls and been the MVP of the league… We're a ways from that. There's no doubt.

I think when someone says Ryan is calling Sanchez an elite QB, they're kind of taking Rex's comments out of context, although he did say Mark is elite. Rex was the only person not claiming his signal caller is in the same league as Peyton or Tom. It seems to boil down to what your definition of elite is. Most QB's idea of elite seems to be 1)themselves and 2)a winner in the class of T.B. and Manning the elder.

Mark hasn't directly addressed the "elite" question himself, but he has been telling the press he is focused on improving his 54% completion rating, calling it "not good enough." In Mark's defense, the Jets were 4th in dropped passes last year, and his Rexness himself thinks Mark is elite.

Murk Surnchurz? Elite? Maybe at ass fumbling, but not anything else.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post

Look when the comments are made. Makes a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGG difference in interpretation. These were made in August 2011, prior to that season when Sanchez began his descent.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Look when the comments are made. Makes a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGG difference in interpretation. These were made in August 2011, prior to that season when Sanchez began his descent.

What descent? We lost an OC who was able to cover his stench with the Febreeze of a dominant offensive line and running game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Kaepernick has a rocket arm and Flacco is incredibly accurate down field. He is capable of threading the needle at 30 yds down field.

Sanchez screws up 5 yd check downs. No comparisons.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's not wrong, lol. Sanchez blows massive amounts of ****.
    At this point in time, I can't argue with that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    At this point in time, I can't argue with that.
    Who could?