Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 128

Thread: Revis for Alex Smith ?????

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    The guy who just won the MVP shredded his knee less then a year ago, about 5 times worse then Revis did.
    OK so now the mechanics of playing Running Back and CB are comparable and there's no difference between a 6' weighing 240 lbs. and a 5'10" CB weighing under 200?


  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I have stated many times, Revis is the best CB in the NFL.

    Unfortunately, he just happens to play a position that is not as relevant as other positions.

    It is what it is.
    And teams look at it that way until they review their AFc or NFC champ game and see that they lost by a few points and their best Cb could not stop the other teams receivers. Revis does not totally enter into the 'CB is not a priority position' thought because he's far better than the average Cb and better than any one else in the league.

    The limiting factor will not be the value placed on CB, it will be on how much money he wants in the end.

    Also for a position that is not relevant as other positions here are the draft stats the last 5 years.

    2012 - 3 1st rounders, 6,10,17
    2011 - 3 1st rounders, 5,19,27
    2010 - 5 1st rounders, 7,20,27,29,32
    2009 - 2 1st rounders, 14,15
    2008 - 5 1st rounders, 11,16,20,25,27

    18 first rounders in the last 5 years on CB's

    QB - 15
    RB - 15
    WR - 15

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    And teams look at it that way until they review their AFc or NFC champ game and see that they lost by a few points and their best Cb could not stop the other teams receivers. Revis does not totally enter into the 'CB is not a priority position' thought because he's far better than the average Cb and better than any one else in the league.

    The limiting factor will not be the value placed on CB, it will be on how much money he wants in the end.

    Also for a position that is not relevant as other positions here are the draft stats the last 5 years.

    2012 - 3 1st rounders, 6,10,17
    2011 - 3 1st rounders, 5,19,27
    2010 - 5 1st rounders, 7,20,27,29,32
    2009 - 2 1st rounders, 14,15
    2008 - 5 1st rounders, 11,16,20,25,27

    18 first rounders in the last 5 years on CB's
    QB - 15
    RB - 15
    WR - 15
    How many of those 18 1st rounders take up more than 15% of their teams salary cap?

    That's the difference.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Prior to his injury he was undoubtedly.

    You and anybody else who says that he still is has no idea what they are talking about! He plays a speed position and just had his knee reconstructed. There is ZERO PROOF that he is anywhere near being able to play at the level he was. My God........

    His value is down based off that. He will not trade for what he is truly worth this year.

    The contract and ACL guarantee that.

    Here's my guess: A trade is wishful thinking. He will not be traded. He will leave after next year.
    You do realize Revis' technique is what really seperates him from the rest. Not his blazing speed.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    OK so now the mechanics of playing Running Back and CB are comparable and there's no difference between a 6' weighing 240 lbs. and a 5'10" CB weighing under 200?

    Ok, I'll play...what about the 'mechanics of playing Running Back and CB' make this different?

  6. #46
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Revis for Smith straight up?

    No

    Revis for Smith, the 49ers 1st round pick this year and a conditional 3rd in 2014?

    Yes
    SF's first next draft, Might as well be a high 2nd round pick.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 02-04-2013 at 05:55 PM.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    You do realize Revis' technique is what really seperates him from the rest. Not his blazing speed.
    He doesn't, he prob thinks Revis ran a 4.2 40 and not a 4.45 he ran.

  8. #48
    Btw AP weighs 220

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    He doesn't, he prob thinks Revis ran a 4.2 40 and not a 4.45 he ran.
    Revis ran a 4.39 and a 4.40 at his Pitt Pro Day. He did not run at the combine.

    His workouts in AZ following his junior season were all in the same range (4.39 to 4.40.)

    If you don't think his speed has something to do with how good he is, you are need to maybe go get some text books on football.

    Revis is technically flawless as a CB, but that does not change the fact that he is extremely fast. Champ Bailey is also technically flawless. Where was he on that play that knocked Denver out of the playoffs?

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Revis ran a 4.39 and a 4.40 at his Pitt Pro Day. He did not run at the combine.

    His workouts in AZ following his junior season were all in the same range (4.39 to 4.40.)

    If you don't think his speed has something to do with how good he is, you are need to maybe go get some text books on football.

    Revis is technically flawless as a CB, but that does not change the fact that he is extremely fast. Champ Bailey is also technically flawless. Where was he on that play that knocked Denver out of the playoffs?
    of course speed is important, but how often do you see Revis get tested deep? He rarely needs to use an all out sprint. Ask Megatron and Andre Johnson how important Revis' straight line speed was when shutting them down.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    Btw AP weighs 220
    AP weighs 220 on his player profile. AP is between 230 and 240 lbs. in season.

    Especially considering he did nothing but lift upper body while his knee healed.

    The listed player weights are a joke. Just like Sanchez is 6'0", not 6'2". I saw him IRL up close, he's an inch or two taller than me. He is nowhere near 6'2".

    Ok, I'll play...what about the 'mechanics of playing Running Back and CB' make this different?
    A running back is lifting heavy weight repeatedly for bulk and explosion. A CB is attempting to get strong without bulk. It's night and day.

    The mechanics are completely different at the position. A CB is not lifting or training to be a better hitter. A CB is simply trying to maintain speed and elasticity to be as strong as he can be within his own natural dimensions.

    A RB will look like Quadzilla in real life, and in AP's case, be an overall absolute physical freak is more concerned with overall strength to be able to absorb contact and maintain balance than the ability to stay step-in-step with a guy running 50 yard posts and fly patterns.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    of course speed is important, but how often do you see Revis get tested deep? He rarely needs to use an all out sprint. Ask Megatron and Andre Johnson how important Revis' straight line speed was when shutting them down.
    He was tested. It was established it didn't work. It will be tested REPEATEDLY when he returns.

    Remember when Moss had him pull up lame after his holdout? Well guess what, people started stretching him after that. The difference was that the other side was more of an option to pass to back then than it has been since Cro arrived.

  13. #53
    I'm pretty much done arguing this.

    Revis has been great. But he is not worth what he is asking. No defensive player is. Cromartie is still superior to almost everybody but Revis.

    Hell even the the two "awesome big CB's" in Seattle got caught juicing.

    Cro will never hold out. He will never ask for $16-18 million a year. He can't afford to.

    Nobody will pay him that. That above all else makes him better to keep than Revis. That and the fact that he's healthy.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    How many of those 18 1st rounders take up more than 15% of their teams salary cap?

    That's the difference.
    You are suddenly changing the parameters of your previous post going from, 'it is not a high valued position' to 'Revis costs too much' which is what I said in my post. The limiting factor is not the value of the position at all as seen not only via the draft but via guys like Carr hitting the mother load in FA.

    If a team has cap space and Revis ask for some totally ungodly amount for an extension coming off an injury a deal is very viable. If he asks for too much the Jets will have to hold on to him and he will be in for a rude surprise when he tries to hit the mother load via FA after this year.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    still has nothing to do with their trade value.
    The Jets lost any chance for trade value when they let Revis put in his contract that Jets couldn't use the franchise tag on him. OF course Revis for Alex Smith is a joke. Most Revis trade aren't going to fetch anything close to what Revis is worth. Jets don't have any say what Revis does. He wants to test free agency in 2014 and there isn't a Darn thing the Jets can do to stop him.(even if someone was willing to give up H Walker type of deal)

    What the Jet fan has to accept what is better getting even Alex Smith or letting Revis leave in FA and getting a late third rounder in 2015.(possible might not get anything if Jets sign a big name free agent in 2014.

    Which one would you rather have.

    Have said it a million times. First team that offers a first rounder jump at that offer, and pray Revis will sign with that team. This tanny blunder had to be the biggest reason why he isn't a general manager anymore.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 02-04-2013 at 06:04 PM.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    The Jets lost any chance for trade value when they let Revis put in his contract that Jets couldn't use the franchise tag on him. OF course Revis for Alex Smith is a joke. Most Revis trade aren't going to fetch anything close to what Revis is worth. Jets don't have any say what Revis does. He wants to test free agency in 2014 and there isn't a Darn thing the Jets can do to stop him.(even if someone was willing to give up H Walker type of deal)

    What the Jet fan has to accept what is better getting even Alex Smith or letting Revis leave in FA and getting a late third rounder in 2015.(possible might not get anything if Jets sign a big name free agent in 2014.

    Which one would you rather have.

    Have said it a million times. First team that offers a first rounder jump at that offer, and pray Revis will sign with that team. This tanny blunder had to be the biggest reason why he isn't a general manager anymore.
    your argument that the Jets "missed out" on a chance to trade Revis only makes sense because he got injured. if Revis was coming off yet another All-Pro season rather than a torn ACL, his value would be sky high and Alex Smith wouldn't even be in the conversation.

    that being said, i am against trading Revis. i'd rather the Jets focus on trading Cro, whose value is at its highest, and try to work out an extension with Revis.

  17. #57
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    12,756
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Alex Smith stinks. Worst thing I think I've ever read by you. You should be banned.

    Alex Smith is not a viable NFL QB without the NFL's best TE, three great WR's, 2-3 dominant RB's, a great O-line, and a dominant defense.

    And then all he does is not lose you the game. He wins you nothing.

    If you need all that around you Sanchez has proven even he can get you to a conference championship which is exactly all Smith did.
    bs. Sanchez is by far much more inaccurate. How will that play out in a WCO? Alex Smith can make it work fo rus. but I'd want more from them for Revis. perhaps a 2 and a 3

  18. #58
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    OK so now the mechanics of playing Running Back and CB are comparable and there's no difference between a 6' weighing 240 lbs. and a 5'10" CB weighing under 200?

    Makes a lot more sense than you whining that he won't be the same for no reason other than because.

    Or the stupid claim that hes not tradable.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    your argument that the Jets "missed out" on a chance to trade Revis only makes sense because he got injured. if Revis was coming off yet another All-Pro season rather than a torn ACL, his value would be sky high and Alex Smith wouldn't even be in the conversation.

    that being said, i am against trading Revis. i'd rather the Jets focus on trading Cro, whose value is at its highest, and try to work out an extension with Revis.
    No It doesn't change anything. ACL injuries are very routine surgeries these days. If I'm a team sure there is some concern but that is way down the list why I might not make the trade. First How Much is it going to cost to sign him and how much do I have to give up. When I can just wait for 2014 and just worry about the cost. (signing a big contract like that you would like those cheaper draft choices to balance out the cost on your roster) Joe flacco and Ryan Clady were offered big contract extensions in 2012. They played out the last year of their contract and are going to get bigger payout now than they would have gotten last year.( difference is those players can't go anywhere as their respective teams still have the franchise tag to use )

    For all we know Revis has no intention signing with anyone till 2014. I don't know if that is the case , but if that is the case does it really matter what you can get for him. You think the raiders wanted to take the third rounder for randy Moss (from the patriots)- what choice did they have.

    Again If I was in your position I would be praying that Revis was willing to sign with your team, or willing to sign with team that trades for him. Without that your just up the creek without a paddle.
    Again the blunder to give up the franchise tag took away the Jets ability to have a say what happens with Revis.

    2014- Revis in FA signs with the Miami Dolphins. How much does he save in taxes. How would that make Jet fans feel.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 02-04-2013 at 06:59 PM.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Really? Want to bet that most would think that with Revis on the Pats losing SB teams he may have helped win those two close loses to the Giants.

    You're obsessed with downplaying everything jets, trying to make Revis into an irrelevant player is stupid.
    And what defensive players are we going to cut to fit his 15 of cap room? do you think that would affect the pats more or less than having Revis? Beside Wilfork and mayo the rest of the defense does not make 15 miill a year together.

    Believe me every coach in the league would be falling all over the jets to trade for revis if he made 8 mill a year for the next 5 years, and was not coming of and acl injury. 2 #1s in the 20s and even a young starter would not be out of the question for a team desperate enough. 28 yo or not.

    But what is almost as unreasonable as Tex's statement was jet fans thinking there is a huge market for him out there now for him, a market so strong that teams will be willing to pay him 15 mill a year for 5 years and give him 35mill before he puts a uniform on to prove he can still play. yes, Peterson and Welker came back within one year and still played at a high level, but other guys don't and most guys the first year back are not close to 100 percent. then throw in the bad cases like Foxworth and Terrel Thomas both of whom may never play again because of the acl injury.

    I posted many times, he needs to stay with the jets, he is worth more to the jets than any other team. I love Revis, I just don't see the value of a corner at that salary
    Last edited by patman; 02-04-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us