Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baltimore Ravens, Model Franchise

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Baltimore Ravens, Model Franchise

An owner who knows his place, doesn't care about making outlandish headlines, perfectly delegates duties to GM and everyone below.

A GM who has year-by-year assembled a great roster PRIMARILY THROUGH THE DRAFT and then supplemented that roster with quality free agent signings that don't really break the bank.

An awesome, cool head coach and leader of men in John Harbaugh. A staff that has flawlessly developed homegrown talent year in and year out. Harbs is easily a top-5 head coach now.

They have done it since they moved to Baltimore without the luxury of an elite quarterback, which masks an innumerable amount of deficiencies on any given team.

I'm very impressed with Baltimore over the last decade+. Hats off to them.
    Last edited by MCBNY; 02-04-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: John Harbaugh...D'oh

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    An owner who knows his place, doesn't care about making outlandish headlines, perfectly delegates duties to GM and everyone below.

A GM who has year-by-year assembled a great roster PRIMARILY THROUGH THE DRAFT and then supplemented that roster with quality free agent signings that don't really break the bank.

An awesome, cool head coach
    and leader of men in Jim Harbaugh. A staff that has flawlessly developed homegrown talent year in and year out. Harbs is easily a top-5 head coach now.

They have done it since they moved to Baltimore without the luxury of an elite quarterback, which masks an innumerable amount of deficiencies on any given team.

Isn't Rex "awesome and cool?" That's extremely important to the success of a franchise. Weren't the Giants the model franchise last season? I guess Flacco is the best QB in the NFL, you would take him over any QB in the league, just like Eli last season. The Ravens are going to pay heavily for Flacco this offseason, 20M-style, we'll see how they handle things with this albatross, they have some players coming off the books but they also have a lot of cap issues to deal with if they want to keep a championship team intact.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 02-04-2013 at 11:47 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post

An awesome, cool head coach and leader of men in Jim Harbaugh. A staff that has flawlessly developed homegrown talent year in and year out. Harbs is easily a top-5 head coach now.

I thought John Harbaugh was the coach of this model franchise

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Isn't Rex "awesome and cool?" That's extremely important to the success of a franchise. Weren't the Giants the model franchise last season? I guess Flacco is the best QB in the NFL, you would take him over any QB in the league, just like Eli last season. The Ravens are going to pay heavily for Flacco this offseason, 20M-style, we'll see how they handle things with this albatross.
    I meant cool in the sense of "cool under pressure" not "oh I wanna hang out with him."

The Giants and Steelers are very similar to the Ravens, so yes, the Giants are a model franchise as well.

No, Flacco is not the best QB in the league, far from it. Same with Eli Manning.

The Giants handled Eli an "albatross" contract after his first Super Bowl win. How'd that work out? Flacco will deserve every dollar he makes and I will assume the Ravens will continue to make good and smart personnel moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I thought John Harbaugh was the coach of this model franchise
    fixed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why does this deserve a thread? This is all given. This doesn't need to be said.

Here we go with another repetitive thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why didn't you make this thread before they won the bowl?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Miracle win against the Broncos.

Lucky bounces all over the place vs NE.

Kapernick sh!ts his pants in the first half.

F Bmore. Their run was as lucky as the Giants run.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ill end this right now and save everyone the trouble for the next 3 years:

2013: Ravens do it right and we suck

2014: (insert the Super bowl champion here) is awesome and we suck

2015: We need to be more like: (insert the Super bowl champion here)

2016: I wish we had a front office like (insert Super bowl champion here) Fire IDZIK!!!

wash, rinse and repeat....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to believe that Flacco is the real deal. He's tall, strong, consistent, smart and has a rocket arm. I thought he was running out of bounds and maybe throwing the ball away and he completed a 31 yard pass. His height gives him an edge that some other QBs don't have. I would build my franchise around Flacco for sure. Now after paying him 20 mil will Baltimore be able to still field a top team I don't know but if ur gonna pay a player that kind of money he needs to be a QB and not a CB.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    I have to believe that Flacco is the real deal. He's tall, strong, consistent, smart and has a rocket arm. I thought he was running out of bounds and maybe throwing the ball away and he completed a 31 yard pass. His height gives him an edge that some other QBs don't have. I would build my franchise around Flacco for sure. Now after paying him 20 mil will Baltimore be able to still field a top team I don't know but if ur gonna pay a player that kind of money he needs to be a QB and not a CB.

And I would build my franchise around Eli, says the guy from last season. The guy who wins the Super Bowl deserves a 100 million dollar contract. If kaepernick won, you would give him the same money. There are only 4 elite QBs in this, Flacco is still not there.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 02-05-2013 at 01:34 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree the Ravens are run quite smoothly, but the owner did say if the Ravens won the Super bowl, Flacco could come into his office, pound on the desk and stick it to him. Now that Flacco won the SB, let's see how they handle the situation. I already saw an interview from 4 days ago which the owner now says the cutoff date for Flacco's new deal is July and the franchise tag is available for them to use. You know Flacco's agent isn't going to let the owner forget about his promise.

This is what Harbaugh says about the owner:

When youre with him one-on-one, hes not such a quiet guy, Harbaugh said. Hes a great personality. Hes a very strong guy. Hes a very smart man. Hes involved in almost everything we do. Hes not involved in the day-to-day football stuff, but he has his observations on football as well. All the things we do with the cap. All the things we do throughout the draft. Hes the guy that establishes the vision for the organization, and I think Steve deserves a lot of credit. Hes not a guy that wants the limelight. Hes not a guy that wants to be out front banging his chest. Hes a humble man. Hes just a great role model for all of us.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    I agree the Ravens are run quite smoothly, but the owner did say if the Ravens won the Super bowl, Flacco could come into his office, pound on the desk and stick it to him. Now that Flacco won the SB, let's see how they handle the situation. I already saw an interview from 4 days ago which the owner now says the cutoff date for Flacco's new deal is July and the franchise tag is available for them to use. You know Flacco's agent isn't going to let the owner forget about his promise.
    Ravens will slap the franchise tag on Flacco this year.

Let him play another season and see if he can accomplish what he did last year.

If so, break the bank and sign him to a long-term contract.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree the Ravens are run quite smoothly, but the owner did say if the Ravens won the Super bowl, Flacco could come into his office, pound on the desk and stick it to him.
    That's just gross.
    Last edited by Down, Set, Haiku; 02-05-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    That's just gross.
    wait, maybe that is the way he meant it. perhaps this has nothing to do with raise and extension ... er, pay raise and contract extension

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can nitpick details and debate if Flacco is elite or not, but the Ravens are a very strong franchise. Just like the Pats, the Steelers, the Giants, etc. It's fun to hate and make fun of some of their players and coaches, but these are some of the franchises we want to emulate. Respectable franchises with winning traditions who are pretty much in the hunt every year.

Sincerely, Captain Obvious.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harbs?

Really?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ravens are a great franchise and one of the models for others. They like the steelers, they let FA go every year who were starters. They don't go with big name fa but pick up 2mill a year players that perform. Good personnel, dept, Good leadership, bad coach- fire him now.

I do think Cinci wins the division next year though.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    wait, maybe that is the way he meant it. perhaps this has nothing to do with raise and extension ... er, pay raise and contract extension
    LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great owner who hires the right FO people who in turn hire the right coaching staff and pick the right players.

Simple as that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    They passed on Rex.That should tell you all you need to know about the Ravens organization.