Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any math teachers in the house? Really need help with teaching my kids math :(

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Why don't you just try calling her teacher and ask for some guidance? Nowadays a lot of teachers even respond to emails. I'm the teacher would appreciate your anguish.
    Dear Mr. Fishooked.

Thank you for your e-mail, ordinarily we appreciate parents helping their children with homework, but your daughter has regressed severely since you began assisting her with home assignments. She was falling behind a couple of weeks ago, but was like a mathematician compared to what you have turned her into.

Please stop.

Seriously.

Mrs. Gehfekurselph

PS Really, cease and desist. Stick to funny pictures.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Using Excel correctly only involves having an Internet connection and Google.
    Totally the truth. Here at work co workers that have an excel problem and are rambling around looking for manuals, complaining about excel, trying to contact the 'excel guru' on the floor. I normally google the problem and give them the answer in about 2 minutes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
    Hmm. Perhaps it only works for teens.

I suspect I am diappoint.
    I think teens have just as much trouble with it as we do.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like this trick because I think it avoids memorizing times tables which I think ultimately will hinder students. But for the context of this question the below should help.

I would make vertical lines first with your highest (in this case tens) digit being on the left and your next lowest to the right and so on (in this case the ones digit).

Then the second number (factor) as horizontal lines with highest place digit on top and lowest on bottom.

Count the separated number of intersecting points from top left to bottom right.

Hippie stuff if you ask me. The other option would be the old(ish) school version where you use a zero in the second (and subsequent) lines of product and add up when through. The justification of the zero in the ones' column is that in a way you are multiplying by a multiple of 10 (i.e. 26X48 is really 6x48 + 20x48. Since 0xanything is 0, the 0 will go in the ones column when multiplying by the tens, two zeors when multiplying by hundreds, so on and so on).

Sorry if I made it worse.

this is the biggest problem in education today. do-gooders are changing solid traditional methods for new fangled nonsense that YES absolutely hinders growth. Its just a trick that doesnt make number sense

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    for some reason the thread title cracks me up.

sorry fish

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im VERY interested in what REALLY happens in other countries and why/how the blow us away....if they really do blow us away.

Rather than blow off steam, I actually have some experience to share: I spent 3 weeks teaching english in what was considered an "elite" private school in one of China's biggest cities (china is a GREAT place, btw....great people and beauty.....a great vacation if your thinking about someplace different)

Anyways, the classroom itself was very plain. There was nothing really modern to speak of as far as manipulatives or smart boards (still used chalk). It was very much like where i went to school in 1979 at ps 133 except it did have an overhead projector.Thats about it. I met their teachers.....younger chicks that were very concerned with their smart phones and fashion, but no interest in education at all and certainly there was no interest in watching what we were doing for their own personal development. Now, I had a lot of things planned out because I wanted to do a good job and I was getting a wicked kick ass deal out of the whole thing so these kids probably thought american schools were awesome.
    Whenever we did have a discipline issue, we would call the teacher in and they gave the kids a major tongue lashing to the point you thought they were about to get *****slapped. The phone call home made some cry in front of the whole class.

Anyway the point Im trying to bring out here is this: I believe all these countries that are doing "well" in math and science are using OLD SCHOOL METHODS such as drill-and-kill, being left back if you dont deserve to move on, STRICT discilpine when needed and parents who will beat them to hell. YOU CAN BE SURE these kids know their times tables because , much like my generation, we had to memorize it till near perfection. I did not see any evidence whatsoever of any kind of modern schooling and judging by the relationship between teacher and student.....you could tell that the teacher was in charge and you were to do everything you were given and there were no excuses. Furthermore, the kids (and this was a summer program) got to school at 8 am and worked till 1pm, then they went home for a few and returned for a 3-630 shift if i remember correctly. Many hours of class.

Do you really think that in india, where they is a ton of poverty, there could possibly be modern classrooms with teachers trained in all this new fangled cutting edge stuff? I really doubt it. I think if there was, Id see it in an elite chinese private school but I didnt. I REALLY doubt little Nguen saying "oh asssooo asooooo...i see it now....wewy wewy easy. u put line here, line there ...count lines wey easy.....me go to engineering cowege and work for sony"

Believe me the USis is behind because:
    1. Parents dont care
    2. there is no discipline
    3. there are no consequences
    4. students are passed along and cant be held back anymore
    5. new methods are ruining everything - concepts such as "its not important to spell correctly in the 1st and 2nd grade" and "times tables are ancient"

...the chickens are coming home to roost fellas

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    Im VERY interested in what REALLY happens in other countries and why/how the blow us away....if they really do blow us away.

Perfectly stated. You absolutely hid it on the head. As someone who has been in education (I escaped thank God) as well as having a significant other still in the classroom, this couldn't be better stated.

Somewhere along the line parents became absolved of their responsibility to parent. I had a part-time bartending job whilst in my last teaching assignment. Customers would tell me, "I want my kids to do well in school, be more successful than me, go to college, stay out of trouble, etc." All I told them was to be involved in their kids education. It makes the single biggest difference. Not race, color, divorced/married, money, disabilities. The parent being CONSTRUCTIVELY involved.

Obviously, as you also stated, schools and teachers are not failable. All of these pedagogy "experts" are constantly coming up with all of these cooperative, and inquiry-based strategies is deplorable to the whole field. Elementary schools are in bad shape now-a-days because of all the warm and fuzzies. Kids show up in 7th grade (le gf's grade) and they are reading at a 3rd grade level. How on Earth is that kid going to learn any kind of science or social studies if they can't read the textbook or other class materials. The whole system needs what los Yets need. A thorough cleaning from top to bottom.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    this is the biggest problem in education today. do-gooders are changing solid traditional methods for new fangled nonsense that YES absolutely hinders growth. Its just a trick that doesnt make number sense
    13 X 12= 13 X (10 + 2) = 130 + 26 = 156

most math can be done in your head

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    All those public school teachers can add up is their pension!

AMIRITE?????
    No you are wrong. They can add up the weeks they get off in the summer and Holidays they don't work also.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    So my 9-year old is struggling big time with math.
    Dad is a buffoon who hates math, and is also afraid & concerned that I am confusing my daughter even more.

Just looking for some advise on any websites or apps we can try to help her out. Right now she's in 4th grade and in the midst of double-digit multiplication and just starting division.

Homework has become an absolute nightmare, could really use some insight if anyone has experiences similar issues.
    Math teacher/Superviser Elementary school. Can help. PM what the "problem" is.

I'd be happy to help you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    No you are wrong. They can add up the weeks they get off in the summer and Holidays they don't work also.
    and, don't get paid either.
    With College Degrees, average teacher salary nationwide is $30K, not much money to do the jobs... Not a teacher? you have no clue what the job really entails.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfectly stated. You absolutely hid it on the head. As someone who has been in education (I escaped thank God) as well as having a significant other still in the classroom, this couldn't be better stated.

Somewhere along the line parents became absolved of their responsibility to parent. I had a part-time bartending job whilst in my last teaching assignment. Customers would tell me, "I want my kids to do well in school, be more successful than me, go to college, stay out of trouble, etc." All I told them was to be involved in their kids education. It makes the single biggest difference. Not race, color, divorced/married, money, disabilities. The parent being CONSTRUCTIVELY involved.

Obviously, as you also stated, schools and teachers are not failable. All of these pedagogy "experts" are constantly coming up with all of these cooperative, and inquiry-based strategies is deplorable to the whole field. Elementary schools are in bad shape now-a-days because of all the warm and fuzzies. Kids show up in 7th grade (le gf's grade) and they are reading at a 3rd grade level. How on Earth is that kid going to learn any kind of science or social studies if they can't read the textbook or other class materials. The whole system needs what los Yets need. A thorough cleaning from top to bottom.
    While I agree with Parents being AWOL in their children's education is the #1 key, You obviously have not worked in Elementary schools, and therefore have no clue.

Parents, your children are watching too much tv, too many video games, not enough reading and actively playing. Those are killing your child's learning and health.

The key problem with our entire USA Educational problem is the influx of millions of non-speaking US students who after 1 year in the US are forced to take tests whose scores are merged in with American students.

Educators and researchers know that it takes a minimum of 5 years for basic language acquisition to the point of being able to answer basic questions. Takes much longer to gather the intricacies of the English language and meanings that test makers are trying to reveal. There is no way a nation with more than 10,000,000 students who don't have the language should be bunched in with the other 50,000,000 kids, it dilutes their scores and makes everyone look bad. Testing should not happen until language acquisition has happened. This is one thing that is lowering our scores and is unacceptable but standard practice.

As far as the tests, let's go there now. Testing is created in 4 major states in the US. NY, CA, TX, FL. Generally written for the Northeastern Students and norm based in the others. Tests are made harder and harder each year, while our students are not learning more thinking skills, they are learning less, reading less, and becoming increasingly more arrogant and unruly, leaving them farther and farther behind.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post
    and, don't get paid either.
    With College Degrees, average teacher salary nationwide is $30K, not much money to do the jobs... Not a teacher? you have no clue what the job really entails.
    What about those retirement benefits though!

Pretty nice, AMIRITE?

(Where's South Park when you need him?)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    So my 9-year old is struggling big time with math.
    Dad is a buffoon who hates math, and is also afraid & concerned that I am confusing my daughter even more.

Just looking for some advise on any websites or apps we can try to help her out. Right now she's in 4th grade and in the midst of double-digit multiplication and just starting division.

Homework has become an absolute nightmare, could really use some insight if anyone has experiences similar issues.
    Haven't read the entire thread, so if it hasn't been suggested try Khan Academy ( app or site). Thank me later

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    What about those retirement benefits though!

Pretty nice, AMIRITE?

(Where's South Park when you need him?)
    Stop trolling my math thread, I'm trying to help my kid out here. Sheesh.

Take it to the Poli forum if you want to start arguments.