Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idzik Will Build Through the Draft

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Idzik Will Build Through the Draft

Nice little read from the Jets website. Sounds like Idzik will value all of his picks... a nice change from Trader Mike.

EA Q&A: Idzik Will Build Through the Draft
    Eric Allen
    Sr. Reporter/Director, Internet Programming

Email @nyjets #EA On the Inside
    aaThe National Football League’s 2012 season is officially over. While the Jets experienced some bright moments, there were too many power outages along the way. It is time to turn the page for good.

Greg
    Tampa, FL
    Q: It seemed to me Tannenbaum always kind of went for a big splash —trading up in drafts, signing bigger names in free agency & trading picks away for players. But the Jets lacked in building depth & developing talent. With (John) Idzik, what are your early impressions of how he might operate things?
    EA: Idzik has said the draft will be a “lifeline” for the Jets and the team will be “judicious” in free agency.

When I started in the NFL in 2000 as a Buccaneers PR staffer, Idzik was Tampa Bay’s Director of Football Administration. I spoke to a former colleague the other night who said, “John is smart, grounded and will put a good plan in place. New York is a tough market. Fans will have to be patient… He will build through the draft.”

The Buccaneers gathered six first-round picks between 1995-’97 and their defense was forever changed in April ’95 with the landing of Hall of Fame DT Warren Sapp (D1, No. 12) and future Hall of Fame LB Derrick Brooks (D1, No. 28). Explosive RB Warrick Dunn (D1, No. 12) went early to the Bucs in ’97, but they had a bunch of great mid-round finds as well. Probable future Hall of Fame CB Ronde Barber (D3, No. 66) came off the board in 1997 and Super Bowl XXXVII MVP Dexter Jackson (D4, No. 113) was a Bucs pick in ’99. In ’96, the Bucs got a backfield bruiser in RB Mike Alstott (D2, No. 35) and then an excellent Cover-2 corner in Donnie Abraham (D3, No. 71). The Bucs’ 41 Pro Bowl selections between 1997 through 2002 were the most in the NFL.

Most recently, Idzik was part of a Seahawks personnel department that hit more often than not on draft weekend. The ‘Hawks 2012 Draft appears ridiculous right now when you consider DE Bruce Irvin (D1, No. 15), Bobby Wagner (D2, No. 47), Russell Wilson (D3, No. 75) and RB Robert Turbin (D4, No. 106). Wilson alone would be plenty, but Irvin racked up eight sacks and Wagner received strong consideration for Defensive Rookie of the Year honors.

In 2011, the ‘Hawks got great value in the fourth and fifth rounds respectively with LB K.J. Wright and CB Richard Sherman. Back in 2010, the Seahawks had a pair of No. 1s and they came away with Pro Bowlers in LT Russell Okung (D1, No. 6) and FS Earl Thomas (D1, No. 14). Safety Kam Chancellor (D5, No. 133) was a find late while WR Golden Tate (D2, No. 60) scored 7 TDs last season. Defensive tackle Red Bryant (D4, No. 121) is one of the ‘Hawks leaders and a force up front.

Exploring every avenue to improve, the Seahawks got a Pro Bowl RB in Marshawn Lynch from the Buffalo Bills for a fourth-round pick in 2011 and a fifth-round pick in 2012. Seattle pulled off a steal when the acquired DE Chris Clemons and a fourth-round pick from the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for Darryl Tapp. In three seasons up in the Pacific Northwest, Clemons has racked up 33.5 sacks. If Clemons didn’t suffer a torn ACL and meniscus in his left knee in the wild card round, who knows how far the Seahawks could have advanced?

Idzik won’t look for a quick fix. The Jets will value their draft picks and it would not surprise me to see them stockpile a few here in the future.

Ken
    Brooklyn, NY
    Q: I have seen Mark Sanchez regress the past 2 seasons. In 2013, I don't see any potential in Sanchez. Do you think the Jets will draft a quarterback in the first round or lean towards obtaining a veteran? We need a lot of help at the quarterback position. I have been a fan for over 30 years.

EA: If Sanchez is here, he will have to win the job. We will have Marty Mornhinweg on as a “Jets Talk LIVE” guest soon and I can’t wait to hear the new OC’s thoughts on Sanchez. If the Jets do indeed part ways with Tim Tebow (as almost all pundits anticipate), they will most likely add a veteran in free agency.

While I believe there is a strong chance the Jets will draft a quarterback, it would be presumptuous of me to pick a round. Both Geno Smith and Matt Barkley were not on hand in Mobile, AL, so let’s see what happens with their stocks in the weeks ahead. Senior Personnel Executive Terry Bradway told me the Senior Bowl QB crop was good — not great.

Robert J.
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Q: Shouldn't the Jets finally address their leaky offensive line? I hear all these other areas where the Jets are lacking, but I think not enough attention is given to our offensive line. You can't make plays on offense when you can't protect the QB effectively or open running lanes for our RBs.

EA: The Jets have to make some moves up front because both RG Brandon Moore and LG Matt Slauson are due to hit the market. I have been talking about the guard position since the season ended, but the team has bigger holes outside the offensive line. They are still solid at the two most important line positions with C Nick Mangold and LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson, and the team liked the way Austin Howard developed at RT. After receiving valuable playing time in 2012, is Vladimir Ducasse ready to step up into a starting position?

John B.
    Scranton, PA
    Q: Hey Eric, love your blog and thanks for the great work. With all the talk about bringing in veteran competition, what do you think about giving Vince Young a shot? I think we could get him on the cheap for low risk/high reward.

EA: Young is an interesting name because he worked under Mohrninweg in Philadelphia and he is familiar with the West Coast attack. But one wonders if VY’s best days are behind him. He started three games for the Eagles in 2011, throwing for four TDs and eight INTs. The Bills had Young in camp last summer and then cut him loose after acquiring Tarvaris Jackson in a trade. And the Buffalo QB coach last season was the same David Lee who will mentor the Jets passers in 2013.
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...7-7b97d55e5072

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Super Bowl will be played on a Sunday.

Nice little read.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the best strategy...as long as you manage to hit on most of your draft picks

Regarding being patient, fully ready to give Izdik time to rebuild the roster. But it's different with Rex, this year is it for him, his job should be on the line. Whatever he's given as far as personnel he needs to make the team competitive in 2013. He doesn't get the leeway the new GM gets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    That is the best strategy...as long as you manage to hit on most of your draft picks

Regarding being patient, fully ready to give Izdik time to rebuild the roster. But it's different with Rex, this year is it for him, his job should be on the line. Whatever he's given as far as personnel he needs to make the team competitive in 2013. He doesn't get the leeway the new GM gets.
    The thing is you don't have to hit on them all if you have a lot of picks, it really inusaltes you against busty picks because if the 2nd rounder you picked stink there may be a chance that one of the two 4ths or 2 5ths make an impact. with the jets of the last few years they had to hit on every pick because they traded up a lot and ended up with 4 or 5 picks a draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    In other news, the sun will be bright tomorrow.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly the strategy I like instead of this trading all over the place on draft day nonsense......truly a breath of fresh air reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Nice little read from the Jets website. Sounds like Idzik will value all of his picks... a nice change from Trader Mike.

EA Q&A: Idzik Will Build Through the Draft
    Eric Allen
    Sr. Reporter/Director, Internet Programming

Email @nyjets #EA On the Inside
    aaThe National Football League’s 2012 season is officially over. While the Jets experienced some bright moments, there were too many power outages along the way. It is time to turn the page for good.

Greg
    Tampa, FL
    Q: It seemed to me Tannenbaum always kind of went for a big splash —trading up in drafts, signing bigger names in free agency & trading picks away for players. But the Jets lacked in building depth & developing talent. With (John) Idzik, what are your early impressions of how he might operate things?
    EA: Idzik has said the draft will be a “lifeline” for the Jets and the team will be “judicious” in free agency.

When I started in the NFL in 2000 as a Buccaneers PR staffer, Idzik was Tampa Bay’s Director of Football Administration. I spoke to a former colleague the other night who said, “John is smart, grounded and will put a good plan in place. New York is a tough market. Fans will have to be patient… He will build through the draft.”

The Buccaneers gathered six first-round picks between 1995-’97 and their defense was forever changed in April ’95 with the landing of Hall of Fame DT Warren Sapp (D1, No. 12) and future Hall of Fame LB Derrick Brooks (D1, No. 28). Explosive RB Warrick Dunn (D1, No. 12) went early to the Bucs in ’97, but they had a bunch of great mid-round finds as well. Probable future Hall of Fame CB Ronde Barber (D3, No. 66) came off the board in 1997 and Super Bowl XXXVII MVP Dexter Jackson (D4, No. 113) was a Bucs pick in ’99. In ’96, the Bucs got a backfield bruiser in RB Mike Alstott (D2, No. 35) and then an excellent Cover-2 corner in Donnie Abraham (D3, No. 71). The Bucs’ 41 Pro Bowl selections between 1997 through 2002 were the most in the NFL.

Most recently, Idzik was part of a Seahawks personnel department that hit more often than not on draft weekend. The ‘Hawks 2012 Draft appears ridiculous right now when you consider DE Bruce Irvin (D1, No. 15), Bobby Wagner (D2, No. 47), Russell Wilson (D3, No. 75) and RB Robert Turbin (D4, No. 106). Wilson alone would be plenty, but Irvin racked up eight sacks and Wagner received strong consideration for Defensive Rookie of the Year honors.

In 2011, the ‘Hawks got great value in the fourth and fifth rounds respectively with LB K.J. Wright and CB Richard Sherman. Back in 2010, the Seahawks had a pair of No. 1s and they came away with Pro Bowlers in LT Russell Okung (D1, No. 6) and FS Earl Thomas (D1, No. 14). Safety Kam Chancellor (D5, No. 133) was a find late while WR Golden Tate (D2, No. 60) scored 7 TDs last season. Defensive tackle Red Bryant (D4, No. 121) is one of the ‘Hawks leaders and a force up front.

Exploring every avenue to improve, the Seahawks got a Pro Bowl RB in Marshawn Lynch from the Buffalo Bills for a fourth-round pick in 2011 and a fifth-round pick in 2012. Seattle pulled off a steal when the acquired DE Chris Clemons and a fourth-round pick from the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for Darryl Tapp. In three seasons up in the Pacific Northwest, Clemons has racked up 33.5 sacks. If Clemons didn’t suffer a torn ACL and meniscus in his left knee in the wild card round, who knows how far the Seahawks could have advanced?

Idzik won’t look for a quick fix. The Jets will value their draft picks and it would not surprise me to see them stockpile a few here in the future.

Ken
    Brooklyn, NY
    Q: I have seen Mark Sanchez regress the past 2 seasons. In 2013, I don't see any potential in Sanchez. Do you think the Jets will draft a quarterback in the first round or lean towards obtaining a veteran? We need a lot of help at the quarterback position. I have been a fan for over 30 years.

EA: If Sanchez is here, he will have to win the job. We will have Marty Mornhinweg on as a “Jets Talk LIVE” guest soon and I can’t wait to hear the new OC’s thoughts on Sanchez. If the Jets do indeed part ways with Tim Tebow (as almost all pundits anticipate), they will most likely add a veteran in free agency.

While I believe there is a strong chance the Jets will draft a quarterback, it would be presumptuous of me to pick a round. Both Geno Smith and Matt Barkley were not on hand in Mobile, AL, so let’s see what happens with their stocks in the weeks ahead. Senior Personnel Executive Terry Bradway told me the Senior Bowl QB crop was good — not great.

Robert J.
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Q: Shouldn't the Jets finally address their leaky offensive line? I hear all these other areas where the Jets are lacking, but I think not enough attention is given to our offensive line. You can't make plays on offense when you can't protect the QB effectively or open running lanes for our RBs.

EA: The Jets have to make some moves up front because both RG Brandon Moore and LG Matt Slauson are due to hit the market. I have been talking about the guard position since the season ended, but the team has bigger holes outside the offensive line. They are still solid at the two most important line positions with C Nick Mangold and LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson, and the team liked the way Austin Howard developed at RT. After receiving valuable playing time in 2012, is Vladimir Ducasse ready to step up into a starting position?

John B.
    Scranton, PA
    Q: Hey Eric, love your blog and thanks for the great work. With all the talk about bringing in veteran competition, what do you think about giving Vince Young a shot? I think we could get him on the cheap for low risk/high reward.

EA: Young is an interesting name because he worked under Mohrninweg in Philadelphia and he is familiar with the West Coast attack. But one wonders if VY’s best days are behind him. He started three games for the Eagles in 2011, throwing for four TDs and eight INTs. The Bills had Young in camp last summer and then cut him loose after acquiring Tarvaris Jackson in a trade. And the Buffalo QB coach last season was the same David Lee who will mentor the Jets passers in 2013.
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...7-7b97d55e5072

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thing that gives me hope against the "cap guy" reputation is that both teams Idzik has been involved with at high levels have had tremendous drafts and trade success, especially in the mid-to-late rounds. One team, fine, you can ask how much of a hand he actually had, but as this points out, Tampa in the late 90s was arguably the best drafting team in the NFL, and Seattle might have that reputation over the last two years, on reflection.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Disagree.

Rex Ryan should improve the team. But if that improvement makes us 8-8, then I say he keeps his job. He improved the team and he's dealing with a new GM. Not saying Idzik is a bad guy or anything, it's just Tanny f*cked things up so bad, it's going to take time for Rex/Idzik to fix it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik's biggest problem will be ass't GM Terry Bradway. That's right the same Terry Bradway former Jets GM who instead of being fired when Tannenbaum was hired by Woody as the Jets GM was retained as Ass't GM in charge of college scouting. Bradway was GM between 2001 and 2006 was most notable for faling in love with looks like Tarzan plays like Jane workout warriors. Idzik will be reviewing the now completed Bradway draft recommendations. Let's hope he ignores Bradway and relies on the Seahawk's draft reprts that he was intimately involved in up until he was hired as Jets GM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is my feeling on Rex in 2013.
    If I don't see a team that improves as the season progresses I want his Azz out of here. That's not to say wins, but overall team improvement.
    He's had 2 years in a row where we got worse at the end of the year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given his background who will Itzak be looking closely at in the 2013 draft?

QB. 1st round pick. Itzak will be looking at two first round QB's both of whom are projected to be well equipped to flourish in a West Coast offense according to all the scouting reports. Geno Smith of West Virginia and Matt Barkley of USC. Geno Smith might not be there at #9 therefore Matt Barkley might be Itzak's preferred choice at QB.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingre...13mbarkley.php

OLB/DE. 2nd round pick is a big need in a Rex Ryan 3-4 defense. Dion Jordan of Oregon is the top rated OLB/DE in a 3-4 defense and should be there in the second round. Extensivley scouted by Itzak since Oregon is a Big-12 team.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftpr...013_oregon.php

Running Back. A huge need with the impending free agency of Shonne Green. A possible 3rd round pick is RB Joseph Randle of Oklahoma State as he fits well in a West Coast offense. A premier running back he is a good pass protector and is a good receiver out of the backfield.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p.../joseph-randle

These are not neccessarily my picks but a best guess of where Itzak will be looking given his backgound.
    Last edited by rajensen088; 02-06-2013 at 07:48 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're going to need like 50 more draft picks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who's this guy Itzak??

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice read it is called having a PLAN!!!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    We're going to need like 50 more draft picks.
    Funny but true. They need to stop trading up, and start accumulating picks by trading down.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have to get faster and more violent at LB,

We have to get younger at safety.

We need some talent in between Brick and Mangold. We need a RT.

We need fresh legs in the backfield.

We need a TE, a blocking TE - which has been noticeably absent in the last couple of years.

I don't know how we address QB, and get a viable product. I'm not in for Tavaris Jackson, and have reservations about Flynn and Smith.

Basically we need a lot of stuff.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have to get faster and more violent at LB,

We have to get younger at safety.

We need some talent in between Brick and Mangold. We need a RT.

We need fresh legs in the backfield.

We need a TE, a blocking TE - which has been noticeably absent in the last couple of years.

I don't know how we address QB, and get a viable product. I'm not in for Tavaris Jackson, and have reservations about Flynn and Smith.

Basically we need a lot of stuff.
    Everything you say I agree with, except I feel Austin Howard is a keeper.

I'm ok with them passing on the QB's, and waiting until 2014 Draft to address it. I'd hate to see them draft one in the 2nd-3rd Round, just to see them pass on one in 2014 because they think they addressed it.

By Position, I wouldn't mind something like this:

1 OLB
    2 RB
    3 WR
    4 OG
    5 TE
    6 OL
    7 S

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Everything you say I agree with, except I feel Austin Howard is a keeper.

I'm ok with them passing on the QB's, and waiting until 2014 Draft to address it. I'd hate to see them draft one in the 2nd-3rd Round, just to see them pass on one in 2014 because they think they addressed it.

By Position, I wouldn't mind something like this:

1 OLB
    2 RB
    3 WR
    4 OG
    5 TE
    6 OL
    7 S
    Austin was one of the few bright surprises on offense this past season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Who's this guy Itzak??
    He's this new guy who hangs around the Jets. Doesn't really have an important position or anything.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Austin was one of the few bright surprises on offense this past season.
    I'm confused. You wrote "we need a RT." Did you mean a "RG"?