Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rob Ryan hired as DC by Saints

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images

Rob Ryan hired as DC by Saints

As per sources.

Amen...
    I was afraid Rob would end up with the Jets if nothing else materialized for him...
    At least now the Jets only appear circus-like, as opposed to hiring both Ryans and removing all doubt...

Quote Originally Posted by jetswinbaby! View Post
    Amen...
    I was afraid Rob would end up with the Jets if nothing else materialized for him...
    At least now the Jets only appear circus-like, as opposed to hiring both Ryans and removing all doubt...
    The "circus" label is being overplayed.

I don't see how a Rob Ryan hire hurts the Jets, he's a good football coach.

What? A superbowl winning coach hired a Ryan? He must not know what he's doing!

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Do you seriously think the Saints would take Rob Ryan over Romeo Crennel or Eric Mangini?
    Apparently, yes.

Saints are a circus!!!!

All League
    Originally Posted by PatsFanTX :

"Do you seriously think the Saints would take Rob Ryan over Romeo Crennel or Eric Mangini?"

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    Apparently, yes.
    I agree here. Though Mangini might be considered the better studio analyst, he's done nothing as a coach outside of 2006 to show he can turn around a dormant defensive team and inspire them to exceed their talent level, ditto for Crennel. FWIW, I think the hire factored in "intensity" which is why I can see neither BB's boys getting the nod.

Rob might have been brought in because maybe Payton thinks he can infuse some life & fire into a dull Saints defense. BTW, New Orleans -the city- and Rob Ryan seem like a good match for each other

Apparently, he is good enough for Sean Payton to run their defense but according to the SOJF's on this board he wasn't good enough to be our LB's coach.

From PFT:

UPDATE 9:09 p.m. ET: Larry Holder of the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports that Ryan will interview Friday, and that Georgia defensive coordinator Todd Grantham will interview on Thursday. Which suggests that the Ryan hire isnít quite a done deal. Just like it wasnít in St. Louis.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...hire-rob-ryan/

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Originally Posted by PatsFanTX :

"Do you seriously think the Saints would take Rob Ryan over Romeo Crennel or Eric Mangini?"

That about sums up his football knowledge.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    As per sources.
    Plan on hiring him - but not hired yet.....it's a logical fit but lets not forget what just happened in St. Louis:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Saints plan to hire Rob Ryan as their new defensive coordinator.

However, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports Georgia DC Todd Grantham will interview for the job on Thursday before Ryan meets with Sean Payton and company on Friday. The TP's Larry Holder insists Ryan's hiring isn't a "done deal." Schefter's report strongly suggests Ryan is the choice to replace Steve Spagnuolo, but as Ryan's flirtation with the Rams proved, it won't be official until his name is signed on the dotted line. The Saints are switching from a 4-3 defense to 3-4 scheme in 2013, and few assistants have more experience overseeing a 3-4 than Ryan.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...rob-ryan-as-dc
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 02-05-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    I think Rob Ryan would be great fit on current staff as LB's coach and Asst HC.

Hall Of Fame
    I never thought Romeo was going take a job as a DC. He wants to retire and this past year has taken a significant toll on him. Mangini wants to get back into coaching but I think he realizes his next job will be his last chance so he is going to choose it wisely. Plus the ESPN gig is easy for him. He gets to play HC and break down film without having the stress.

I just want to thank the Saints for taking Rob. Would have been awful for him to come here. Although the Jets already announced their staff, I still think Rob would have gotten a job here if he wanted one.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I never thought Romeo was going take a job as a DC. He wants to retire and this past year has taken a significant toll on him. Mangini wants to get back into coaching but I think he realizes his next job will be his last chance so he is going to choose it wisely. Plus the ESPN gig is easy for him. He gets to play HC and break down film without having the stress.

I just want to thank the Saints for taking Rob. Would have been awful for him to come here. Although the Jets already announced their staff, I still think Rob would have gotten a job here if he wanted one.
    I will keep saying this, Mangini is going to have a hard time getting a job on another coaches staff. he will get another HC gig before someone lets him in to his office. he wants it too, the espn gig is easy but they are no victories. no mangenious stories, and no money the guy has 8 hours of face time a year. If he had Billicks job, Which is probably close to 1/2 mill a year, I could see him being satisfied.

Then again, it just maybe that he wants to screw the browns and get every dollar owed to him with no offsets. I don't think staying out of the market helps him, but who knows what his agent thinks.
    Last edited by patman; 02-06-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    He's almost as boring and awful as an espn commentatoras he was as a horrific head coach for the Jets and the Browns.

@adbrandt: Solid coach, solid man. RT @RapSheet: #Saints contacted #49ers to interview Ed Donatell for DC job. #49ers blocked interview.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @adbrandt: Solid coach, solid man. RT @RapSheet: #Saints contacted #49ers to interview Ed Donatell for DC job. #49ers blocked interview.
    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    You saw @LarryHolder report last night that the Saints will interview Grantham tomorrow. He's had to be careful, b/c of signing day.

By signing day he means National Signing Day for High School players signing their letters of intent which is today.

All Pro
    I heard Sean Payton on NFL Radio this morning. He said they have not hired a DC yet and are still interviewing the rest of this week.

As long as the Jets don't hire him, I don't care where he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    As long as the Jets don't hire him, I don't care where he goes.
    Why?