Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: LaRon SMASH spending today with ESPN

  1. #21
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I'd be careful giving him too much. The deal would still have to have incentives based on snaps played.
    Laron wouldn't do that, nor would he have to. He's going to get paid.

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    2,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Laron wouldn't do that, nor would he have to. He's going to get paid.
    I hear ya... the Jets have to protect themselves from another 'tone type of contract. If Landry wants too much, they have to let him walk. Bottom line, is his injury history has to be taken into account.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I wonder if the Pats will make him an offer. He could be their new Rodney Harrison
    Could definitely see that happening.

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    9,923
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    So why not stay with the JETS for 1 more year on a deal that is good for both, especially when nrxt year the JETS will haveore cap space to offer a extended deal, if it works out we want to keep him then.
    Yeah, that seems like a logical thing for Landry to do. Run the risk of getting a career ending injury while playing for peanuts when he could sign a huge long term deal to accomodate the Jets not having any money to pay him until next year when their salary cap situation gets better.

    Then the Jets can sign Joe Flacco to a 1 year deal as well for the vet minimum and explain to him that if he signs now for the 1 year deal, they can pay him better next year when their salary cap situation gets better.

    The Jets should offer Wes Welker a 1 year deal on the cheap and then sign him to a long year deal next year also!!

  5. #25
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I hear ya... the Jets have to protect themselves from another 'tone type of contract. If Landry wants too much, they have to let him walk. Bottom line, is his injury history has to be taken into account.
    I agree. Although, if healthy, he is a stud player that you pay. Tone is not and never was.

  6. #26
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    3,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Laron Landry is injury prone, why would he sign a one year deal now? He was coming off of a achillies injury that allowed him to play 17 games in 2 seasons before last year. I don't see it being remotely beneficial to Landry to sign a one year deal. Not to mention, the Jets couldn't possibly afford to sign him. He will probably get a deal of about $35m/5 years with half guaranteed (guessing).
    That would be a good deal. You keep your pro bowlers and that includes Revis, and cut the JAGS where $$$ are saved.

  7. #27
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    That would be a good deal. You keep your pro bowlers and that includes Revis, and cut the JAGS where $$$ are saved.
    Someone who gets it! You never pay JAGs. Replace them with cheaper JAGs or draft picks. You pay Revis, Cromartie, Landry.

  8. #28
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    2,064
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I hear ya... the Jets have to protect themselves from another 'tone type of contract. If Landry wants too much, they have to let him walk. Bottom line, is his injury history has to be taken into account.
    Bingo. He's a good football player that had a good year. He will want mercenary money and probably get it from a contender. The Jets WILL have to let him walk.

  9. #29
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I hear ya... the Jets have to protect themselves from another 'tone type of contract. If Landry wants too much, they have to let him walk. Bottom line, is his injury history has to be taken into account.
    Agree 100%

  10. #30
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,884
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was from PFF in regard to Landrys on field performance in an article about the most overpriced and risky FAs:

    LaRon Landry, safety 2012 team: New York Jets

    On the back of what ended up being a Pro Bowl season, Landry has positioned himself to get paid. He won't be taking a hometown discount with the Jets because in his eyes his stock is at an all-time high after he proved he could handle the rigors of an NFL season by playing 96.6 percent of the Jets' defensive snaps.


    Only the tape doesn't back up his performance. Eighty-eight tackles represent a big number, but his 4.7 run stop percentage was only 14th among safeties despite his spending 46.2 percent of his snaps in the box. He also got beat for 16 first downs and four touchdowns, the 11th-highest number of all safeties in coverage. Sure Landry can put a big hit on a receiver at times, but don't let those big plays fool you. He's not an elite, difference-making player, and he misses too many tackles (his 13 were 12th highest among safeties).

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,593
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Someone who gets it! You never pay JAGs. Replace them with cheaper JAGs or draft picks. You pay Revis, Cromartie, Landry.
    So you have no issue with paying Revis 15 mill, Cro 10 and Landy 6, that is 1/4 of your cap for three of the 5 secondary players. Another 20 mill for Dbrick and Mangold wow 50 mill or 40% of the cap for 5 players and none of them do anything with the ball. You must have trained under Tanny.

    Starters are not jags.

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    This was from PFF in regard to Landrys on field performance in an article about the most overpriced and risky FAs:

    LaRon Landry, safety 2012 team: New York Jets

    On the back of what ended up being a Pro Bowl season, Landry has positioned himself to get paid. He won't be taking a hometown discount with the Jets because in his eyes his stock is at an all-time high after he proved he could handle the rigors of an NFL season by playing 96.6 percent of the Jets' defensive snaps.


    Only the tape doesn't back up his performance. Eighty-eight tackles represent a big number, but his 4.7 run stop percentage was only 14th among safeties despite his spending 46.2 percent of his snaps in the box. He also got beat for 16 first downs and four touchdowns, the 11th-highest number of all safeties in coverage. Sure Landry can put a big hit on a receiver at times, but don't let those big plays fool you. He's not an elite, difference-making player, and he misses too many tackles (his 13 were 12th highest among safeties).
    + 10000000
    I watched every game & although he had some beautiful take downs, he also missed a bunch of tackles, got caught in the box often, had his share of personal fouls that prolonged the opposing teams drives & is still one play away from missing an entire year.
    No one is paying huge money for a safety anymore unless its Ed Reed in his prime.
    Big hits don't matter anymore, you need a safety that can run & has good length to break up passes.
    The game has changed, receivers run into spots they never would have in the past, almost every big shot in the secondary brings a flag in Goodells new NFL.
    I think everyone is overrating Landrys salary potential.
    I'm hoping he really wants to be a Jet & after investigating the landscape or a new contract, we can pay him what others would offer.
    No team is breaking the bank for a safety that can't even practice.
    Sorry.

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    This was from PFF in regard to Landrys on field performance in an article about the most overpriced and risky FAs:

    LaRon Landry, safety 2012 team: New York Jets

    On the back of what ended up being a Pro Bowl season, Landry has positioned himself to get paid. He won't be taking a hometown discount with the Jets because in his eyes his stock is at an all-time high after he proved he could handle the rigors of an NFL season by playing 96.6 percent of the Jets' defensive snaps.


    Only the tape doesn't back up his performance. Eighty-eight tackles represent a big number, but his 4.7 run stop percentage was only 14th among safeties despite his spending 46.2 percent of his snaps in the box. He also got beat for 16 first downs and four touchdowns, the 11th-highest number of all safeties in coverage. Sure Landry can put a big hit on a receiver at times, but don't let those big plays fool you. He's not an elite, difference-making player, and he misses too many tackles (his 13 were 12th highest among safeties).
    Landry was also playing out of position in 2012. He's not a Free Safety, he's a Strong Safety, but since he had previous experience playing Free Safety (first two years in Washington) Rex and Co. decided to place him there instead of Bell. If Landry is retained he will LIKELY be moved back to the strong side, giving him a higher value. He does miss tackles, yes, but that comes with the aggressive, big hit play that he brings to the table. That doesn't trouble me, what does is bringing him back and continuing playing him on the free side. THAT would be a mistake.

  14. #34
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    So you have no issue with paying Revis 15 mill, Cro 10 and Landy 6, that is 1/4 of your cap for three of the 5 secondary players. Another 20 mill for Dbrick and Mangold wow 50 mill or 40% of the cap for 5 players and none of them do anything with the ball. You must have trained under Tanny.

    Starters are not jags.
    Not every team has an all-time QB that can cover up a mediocre roster and mediocre coach.

    And I wouldn't have paid David Harris, Sanchez, or Holmes (and maybe not even Mangold). So yes, it'd work.

  15. #35
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like
    LaRon "BAM BAM" Landry

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us