Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: NRA's enemies list: Most of America

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Background checks good, but retaining a list isn't?
    The idea of keeping a database makes me a tad uncomfortable. Feels like an erosion of privacy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    The idea of keeping a database makes me a tad uncomfortable. Feels like an erosion of privacy.
    Drivers license, car registration, home deed?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm saying that the concept of the government keeping a list of all gun owners and a registry of what weapons they own makes me uncomfortable long term. Its not relevant to car registrations or home deeds and you know it. If someone can show a real demonstrative need for such a list then its possible I could be persuaded the other way. On the surface in the wake of liberal newspapers printing names and addresses of people that simply have a handgun permit are you saying that such a list wouldn't or couldn't be exploited or somehow used against the folks on the list?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the potential for leaks, Im not too worried about a list getting out that says i own a car or a home. I would be worried about the same list getting out saying i own guns.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody notice Vinny T's name on the list?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    two wrongs don't make a right.

Releasing that list was not an accident; the list appeared on their own website. They knew exactly what they were doing and the publicity it would receive. It was arrogance that led them to this stupid decision. And their arrogance is born from having almost unchecked power on the political process. This list was leaked for the purpose of intimidation. The messsage is simple; "we are watching you".

All groups have "unfriendly lists". Many unions including the celebrated UFT have lists of those they consider enemies with instructions to boycott or harass those on the list.
    I look at this as much ado about nothing. You support those favorable to you. Those unfavorable to you lose your support. It is merely intelligence gathering and dissemination.
    Now if they were KLL LISTS ala the U.S. gov? Well that may be diffferent.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm saying that the concept of the government keeping a list of all gun owners and a registry of what weapons they own makes me uncomfortable long term. Its not relevant to car registrations or home deeds and you know it. If someone can show a real demonstrative need for such a list then its possible I could be persuaded the other way. On the surface in the wake of liberal newspapers printing names and addresses of people that simply have a handgun permit are you saying that such a list wouldn't or couldn't be exploited or somehow used against the folks on the list?
    There's potential for anything to happen, but does the good outweigh the bad?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    As for keeping lists of gun owners, interesting how so many people who were wailing about "our liberty" and "our privacy" being "taken from them" by the Bush administration are either nowhere to be found on this issue, or now singing a diametrically opposed tune.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    With the potential for leaks, Im not too worried about a list getting out that says i own a car or a home. I would be worried about the same list getting out saying i own guns.
    Why is it such a big deal to be outed as a legal gun owner?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it such a big deal to be outed as a legal gun owner?
    Stated before: If a criminal knows where guns are, they can attempt to obtain those guns.
    Conversely, if they know where guns are not (not on a list) they know where the "soft" targets are.

It's an invasion of privacy. How about publishing an AIDS or HIV list so those people can be avoided by healthy people. Anybody OK with that? I would think (hope) not.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Stated before: If a criminal knows where guns are, they can attempt to obtain those guns.
    Conversely, if they know where guns are not (not on a list) they know where the "soft" targets are.

It's an invasion of privacy. How about publishing an AIDS or HIV list so those people can be avoided by healthy people. Anybody OK with that? I would think (hope) not.
    The lists posted in Westchester gave the names and addresses of law enforcement officials. Inmates are now taunting guards with their home addresses. http://newyork.newsday.com/news/nati...-say-1.4407323

What's the big deal?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post

Valid point about criminals targeting people, but unfortunately criminals are also looking at the location and if there will be a good score for their crimes.

The medical example is simplistic and last I checked they did no have to go and get a permit from the govt to be ill.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    As for keeping lists of gun owners, interesting how so many people who were wailing about "our liberty" and "our privacy" being "taken from them" by the Bush administration are either nowhere to be found on this issue, or now singing a diametrically opposed tune.
    Apples and oranges. That nazi John Ashcroft was tapping the phones of muslims who were giving and receiving phone calls to know Al Queda operatives in Saudi Arabia. -notsointelligentjetsfan

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Are you for real?
    Show me where the NRA, as an organization, sanctioned by the us government, gave hundreds of automatic weapons to a Mexican drug cartel (you can't make this stuff up) that were used to murder hundreds of Mexicans and at least one United States LEO.

Show me where the NRA, as an organization, sanctioned by the US government, surrounded a private compound in the USA, set it on fire, burning dozens of people alive, including children.

Oh, and while you're at it (it actually shouldn't take you long) explain to me why no one in the government has been held accountable for these egregious crimes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer View Post
    Apples and oranges. That nazi John Ashcroft was tapping the phones of muslims who were giving and receiving phone calls to know Al Queda operatives in Saudi Arabia. -notsointelligentjetsfan
    They violated wiretapping laws out of sheer laziness, the FBI has a legal program in place and they chose not to follow it.

What has come out about these drone hits within the US is troubling to say the least.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Valid point about criminals targeting people, but unfortunately criminals are also looking at the location and if there will be a good score for their crimes.

The medical example is simplistic and last I checked they did no have to go and get a permit from the govt to be ill.
    I think it is obvious why it is troubling that lists of gun owners names and addresses are showing up in liberal newspapers and blog. This is a privacy matter. People can be targeted by local loons that "hate guns". It is no different than if some radical anti abortion group Church was putting out lists of folks that have had abortions. It makes them targets of harassment and possible harm.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is obvious why it is troubling that lists of gun owners names and addresses are showing up in liberal newspapers and blog. This is a privacy matter. People can be targeted by local loons that "hate guns". It is no different than if some radical anti abortion group Church was putting out lists of folks that have had abortions. It makes them targets of harassment and possible harm.
    Non-gun people are threatening to gun owners? When or if they start blowing up sh1t or gunning people down for their cause you would have a valid comparison.

I do not agree with the outing stuff, it was wrong.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Criminals do target locations. Based on availability of what they want (maybe a gun) or being easy (no gun) if the location has "stuff".

I do not need a permit for a rifle here in SC (don't own one). Do not need a permit unless I have a concealed carry.

Conversely AIDS victims are a serious threat. I do NOT endorse exposing them, but some would.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have gone way off topic here my friend. The discussion was about the run on Semi Automatic Rifles in the weeks since Sandy Hook. I believe and most agree that the reason for that run is because they are threatening to ban them. People know that this may be the last chance to get one legally. Its as simple as that. If you have statistics of people purchasing 20 guns a month consistently I would agree that those purchasing habits are suspect.

By the way I am not against background checks for gun purchases. I would not be comfortable with the government compiling lists of these purchases in a database however.
    So why the run on handguns and amo for handguns? Nobody is talking about banning them? These guns are being bought at record numbers because a huge percent of them are going to be sold legally in the secondary market to criminals before they are required to background check them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer View Post
    Show me where the NRA, as an organization, sanctioned by the us government, gave hundreds of automatic weapons to a Mexican drug cartel (you can't make this stuff up) that were used to murder hundreds of Mexicans and at least one United States LEO.

Show me where the NRA, as an organization, sanctioned by the US government, surrounded a private compound in the USA, set it on fire, burning dozens of people alive, including children.

Oh, and while you're at it (it actually shouldn't take you long) explain to me why no one in the government has been held accountable for these egregious crimes.
    The NRA has been lobbying the government to allow average citizens to be able to sell hundreds if not thousands of automatic weapons to drug cartels operating all over the country.