Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 139

Thread: NRA's enemies list: Most of America

  1. #41
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,566
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Tell that to the NRA!
    Why would I bother? They're a private organization that I have no affiliation with.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    1. You cannot say for a certainty that having gun laws that close loop holes at gun shows won't prevent another tragedy. Or laws that keep guns out of the hands of Paranoid schizophrenics.

    2. Why can't we focus on doing both?
    Because no one is proposing doing just what you said there. I am all about keeping guns out of the hands of felons and paranoid schizophrenics but how do you do it without compiling registries of all gun owners which we know will be used by liberals to tar and feather law abiding Americans just looking to protect their families?

    Gun regulations beget more gun crime. We are living it here in NY. People are getting arrested for owning magazines which hold more than 7 bullets. In NY the Governor effectively outlawed 95% of the weapons that were legal just last month. We now have tens of thousands of people whom own outlawed weapons and if they are caught will be thrown in jail.

    So we know that the left wing solution is to fill up the jails with people that haven't harmed anyone. In order to make space for these new criminals violent felons will be paroled and have their sentences reduced.

    A better way to reduce violent deaths is to increase the penalties and add mandatory sentencing for violent criminals. If a crime is committed and a weapon is discharged it should be automatic life in prison. Someone that harms or rapes a woman or child should get life in prison. No parole.

    I look at another tragedy in CT as the template. Two career criminals released from prison after shortened sentences enter the home of a prominent doctor, proceed to tie up the family, rape the wife and daughters and burn them all alive. Now what could have prevented that tradgedy? More gun laws? Well the criminals did not use legally registered guns to commit the crimes. Longer sentences for career criminals? That would have prevented it for sure. How about if the doctor had a gun on his person? That surely would have prevented the crime. Unfortunately its almost impossible to get a concealed carry permit in CT so that's off the table. What if the Doctor had guns in the house? That could have prevented the tragedy as well but we will never know for sure.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Your argument is that gun regulations do and will not work, yet taxing video games is a proven winner?
    I think the proven winner is better mental health services actually. Taxing video games is the means that Newton is looking to generate the revenue to do so.

    We know gun regulations don't work because CT has some of the strictest gun laws in the country on the books already. Chicago has the strictest gun laws and the highest rate of gun crimes of any major city. What we do know is that Lanza as virtually all of the recent and historical perpetrators of these types of crimes have known mental health issues. The vast majority are on psychotrophic drugs which list homicidal tendencies as one of the side effects. The key is to focus in on the drugs that may be causing people to snap an go on homicidal rampages while simultaneously finding a way for communities to report and deal with individuals that appear dangerous and possibly homicidal but may not have committed a crime yet.

  4. #44
    I agree with you about mental health. Chicago's guns aren't from Chicago. We need uniformity when it comes to gun laws.


    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I think the proven winner is better mental health services actually. Taxing video games is the means that Newton is looking to generate the revenue to do so.

    We know gun regulations don't work because CT has some of the strictest gun laws in the country on the books already. Chicago has the strictest gun laws and the highest rate of gun crimes of any major city. What we do know is that Lanza as virtually all of the recent and historical perpetrators of these types of crimes have known mental health issues. The vast majority are on psychotrophic drugs which list homicidal tendencies as one of the side effects. The key is to focus in on the drugs that may be causing people to snap an go on homicidal rampages while simultaneously finding a way for communities to report and deal with individuals that appear dangerous and possibly homicidal but may not have committed a crime yet.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    "Hit list"?

    It's no surprise that a special interest group identifies other groups that have opposed them in the past. Every lobbying group does this, especially when pushing a legislative agenda.


    Well said. Further, every organization worth its salt (read any major corporation) has a listing of those groups which view it unfavorably. It's called smart.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Well said. Further, every organization worth its salt (read any major corporation) has a listing of those groups which view it unfavorably. It's called smart.
    until they make the list public and one (or more) of the people decide to sue. Making the list public is called stupid.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    until they make the list public and one (or more) of the people decide to sue. Making the list public is called stupid.


    What about the groups that target GOOD companies to boycott because they have commercials on certain shows. Essentially using extortion - see Jesse Jackson and his Rainbow Push coalition. And many more.

    I said GROUPS BTW, not individuals relative to corporations having lists.
    I admit having the list public is bad control. But how else do you get it to your members. It got leaked. Leaks. Like from the WH and State Dept?

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Because no one is proposing doing just what you said there. I am all about keeping guns out of the hands of felons and paranoid schizophrenics but how do you do it without compiling registries of all gun owners which we know will be used by liberals to tar and feather law abiding Americans just looking to protect their families?

    Gun regulations beget more gun crime. We are living it here in NY. People are getting arrested for owning magazines which hold more than 7 bullets. In NY the Governor effectively outlawed 95% of the weapons that were legal just last month. We now have tens of thousands of people whom own outlawed weapons and if they are caught will be thrown in jail.

    So we know that the left wing solution is to fill up the jails with people that haven't harmed anyone. In order to make space for these new criminals violent felons will be paroled and have their sentences reduced.

    A better way to reduce violent deaths is to increase the penalties and add mandatory sentencing for violent criminals. If a crime is committed and a weapon is discharged it should be automatic life in prison. Someone that harms or rapes a woman or child should get life in prison. No parole.

    I look at another tragedy in CT as the template. Two career criminals released from prison after shortened sentences enter the home of a prominent doctor, proceed to tie up the family, rape the wife and daughters and burn them all alive. Now what could have prevented that tradgedy? More gun laws? Well the criminals did not use legally registered guns to commit the crimes. Longer sentences for career criminals? That would have prevented it for sure. How about if the doctor had a gun on his person? That surely would have prevented the crime. Unfortunately its almost impossible to get a concealed carry permit in CT so that's off the table. What if the Doctor had guns in the house? That could have prevented the tragedy as well but we will never know for sure.
    No offense but if all these gun owners were simply looking to protect their families you wouldn't see them buying out entire aresenals of sporting goods stores across the country.

    Many of these people are clearly more then merely trying to protect their families.

  9. #49
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    No offense but if all these gun owners were simply looking to protect their families you wouldn't see them buying out entire aresenals of sporting goods stores across the country.

    Many of these people are clearly more then merely trying to protect their families.
    ================================================== ====

    What are you implying?

    Gun and ammo sales have been driven (IMHO) by new gun buyers, not by just a small minority of gun nuts.

    Sandy Hook scared a lot of people, fear is what is driving the high gun and ammo sales. Different people fear diffewrent things,, I have to believe the overwhelming amount of recent gun sales are for personal protection.

    Still the high gun sales IMHO are a result of emotions, similar and at the same time opposite of the emotions of the gun control advocates. Fear is a motivating emotion.

  10. #50
    Could you please supply some facts with your assumption.


    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    ================================================== ====

    What are you implying?

    Gun and ammo sales have been driven (IMHO) by new gun buyers, not by just a small minority of gun nuts.

    Sandy Hook scared a lot of people, fear is what is driving the high gun and ammo sales. Different people fear diffewrent things,, I have to believe the overwhelming amount of recent gun sales are for personal protection.

    Still the high gun sales IMHO are a result of emotions, similar and at the same time opposite of the emotions of the gun control advocates. Fear is a motivating emotion.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    No offense but if all these gun owners were simply looking to protect their families you wouldn't see them buying out entire aresenals of sporting goods stores across the country.

    Many of these people are clearly more then merely trying to protect their families.
    Roight. And what pray tell are they clearly trying to do? People are buying guns because the government is in the process of banning them. They pulled it off in NYS within a couple of weeks of Newtown. When you tell people they can't have something they want it more. That's called human nature my friend.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Could you please supply some facts with your assumption.
    So Winston's absurd assumption that people are buying guns because they are "up to no good" goes unchallenged by you but you have an issue with gunnails reply? Really? Seriously?

  13. #53
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,475
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    How much money does NRA receive from gun makers?
    I'm sure quite a bit but what makes them different from any other lobbying group? The NRA is well funded and has a strong lobby however they are not the all powerful Illuminati as some are desperately trying to potray them as. IIRC you're a fed so you well know that the ATF can already set up a background check "booth" at every gun show under existing law. The NRA publicly conceded to this point. At the end of the day it's on the ATF if they fail to do so.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    What about the groups that target GOOD companies to boycott because they have commercials on certain shows. Essentially using extortion - see Jesse Jackson and his Rainbow Push coalition. And many more.

    I said GROUPS BTW, not individuals relative to corporations having lists.
    I admit having the list public is bad control. But how else do you get it to your members. It got leaked. Leaks. Like from the WH and State Dept?
    two wrongs don't make a right.

    Releasing that list was not an accident; the list appeared on their own website. They knew exactly what they were doing and the publicity it would receive. It was arrogance that led them to this stupid decision. And their arrogance is born from having almost unchecked power on the political process. This list was leaked for the purpose of intimidation. The messsage is simple; "we are watching you".
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 02-07-2013 at 02:10 PM.

  15. #55
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Could you please supply some facts with your assumption.
    ==============================================

    Why? I was/am simply expressing my opinion.

    On the other hand, I will do a google search and see what I can find to support my views.

    Maybe you might care to do the same to repute my opinions?

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Roight. And what pray tell are they clearly trying to do? People are buying guns because the government is in the process of banning them. They pulled it off in NYS within a couple of weeks of Newtown. When you tell people they can't have something they want it more. That's called human nature my friend.
    How about straw purchases which are going directly to criminals as another possability.

    The responsible gun owner looking to protect his family isn't keeping an aresenal in his house. The responsible gun owner isn't as dumb as you are portraying them.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    How about straw purchases which are going directly to criminals as another possability.

    The responsible gun owner looking to protect his family isn't keeping an aresenal in his house. The responsible gun owner isn't as dumb as you are portraying them.
    I consider myself responsible and when I heard about the ban I was tempted to rush over to Dicks and buy a rifle before all but the most tame ones were outlawed. I'm not sure what is "dumb" about owning a gun to protect ones family or for sport or for target practice or even to protect your business from rioters if necessary. I'm not sure what is "dumb" about the bill of rights either. There are plenty of collectors and enthusiasts that keep what you would call an arsenal in their homes. So what? Maybe they are worried that one day a breakdown in society will occur and they want to be prepared. It's not that wild of an assumption given that progressives take as fact that within the next 50 years or so global warming will cause the collapse of society. We live in a free country and people can pursue whatever collections or hobbies they like as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

  18. #58
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    How about straw purchases which are going directly to criminals as another possability.

    The responsible gun owner looking to protect his family isn't keeping an aresenal in his house. The responsible gun owner isn't as dumb as you are portraying them.
    =============================================

    Most criminals steal there guns, are buy them from others that have stolen them, I think the FBI had it about 90% gun crime guns as stolen.

    Straw purchases do happen regularly, this is a federal crime to do so.

    Define what you feel is an arsenal please, I have 10 guns and 1500 rounds, is that an arsenal? I think an arsenal is a somewhat subjective term in the way you use the term it is meant to illcit a emotional response. IMHO.

  19. #59
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    ==============================================

    Why? I was/am simply expressing my opinion.

    On the other hand, I will do a google search and see what I can find to support my views.

    Maybe you might care to do the same to repute my opinions?
    ================================================== =

    CR7,
    I came up with lots of articles supporting my opinions, but they were all conjecture and as assuming as my post was, no real fact based info or even poling.

    How did you do?

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    =============================================

    Most criminals steal there guns, are buy them from others that have stolen them, I think the FBI had it about 90% gun crime guns as stolen.

    Straw purchases do happen regularly, this is a federal crime to do so.

    Define what you feel is an arsenal please, I have 10 guns and 1500 rounds, is that an arsenal? I think an arsenal is a somewhat subjective term in the way you use the term it is meant to illcit a emotional response. IMHO.
    Of course it's subjective but are you telling me you need 10 guns and 1500 rounds in your house to protect your family? You have them because you like them, it's your right to have them and you want them. Chiefs tried to make this insane notion that people are stocking up on guns and amo to protect their families. Utter comeplete BS.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us